- Comic-Con have just released a preliminary list of panels and Star Trek XI is on it. TrekMovie.com had reported before that Paramount planned to attend for Trek and we have re-confirmed that there will be a panel, but they have not yet worked out the details.
- DS9 showrunner Ira Behr told TrekMovie.com he thought Abrams plans for a return to TOS was ‘the safe thing’ but expressed concerns about ‘going backwards to the future’
- Heroes actor Zachary Quinto again expressed a desire to play Spock
Trek in the world:
- Tony Bilbrook and Angela Mason are proof that Trekkies can find love, getting hitched in a Star Trek themed ceremony, complete with a Vulcan priest.
- The town of Vulcan, Alberta in Canada is really milking its name for all it’s worth. They are launching a new virtual reality attraction to bring in the Trekkies
- At a technology forum, Bill Gates and Steve Jobs joked about working on Star Trek tecnhology including the holodeck and transporter
- Scientists at the University of Vienna have taken the first steps towards actual transporters by ‘teleporting’ some photons using a technology called ‘quantum entanglement‘
- A new technology center for US spy agencies has been formed and is looking at a number of new technologies, including a sort of cloaking device to bend radar.
Where are they now:
- William Shatner appears in the new reality show "Fast Cars and Superstars" premiering this Thursday (8pm June 7 on ABC), but it isn’t certain he is in the first episode. ShatnerVision has a clip of him promoting the show.
- Patrick Stewart is set to star in a film version of The Merchant Of Venice, set in the Las Vegas…baby – Nemesis scribe John Logan is writing the script. Stewart received a good review for his recent performance of the Tempest with the the RSC
- Stewart will also be doing the narration for Earth, a documentary film spinoff of the BBC Planet Earth series.
- It appears that Trek XI director JJ Abrams is a patron of the arts. Last week he hosted a gallary opening for artist Tim Biskup in Culver City.
- Abrams also seems to a supporter of Democratic politics, he is listed amongst the many guests at a Hollywood fund raiser for Hillary Clinton. Earlier this year Abrams attended a fund raiser for Barak Obama
- Voyager’s Ethan Phillips appeared on the strange ‘The Commuter Show’ and about his commuting experiences and upcoming projects
- Alexander Siddig was at the Cannes film fest recently to promote his upcoming film Un Homme Perdu, a video interview of him is at Sid City
- Fred Steiner, composer for 25 Star Trek episodes and one TNG episode, received an honorary doctorate of music from his alma mater.
Nick Ramus (STIV: Efrosian Helmsman)
Link of the week
some guy has superimposed The Enterprise-D over various maps and cityscapes so you can see just how big it is. Here it is over the Pentagon
YouTube Clip of the week
a funny moment at last weeks Star Wars Celebration IV
Help make ‘This Week In Trek’ better, send in tips (click tip link right column)