Rumor: Shatner Jealous Over Nimoy?

There is a new rumor from the Gossip page of the NY Post stating that William Shatner is upset that Leonard Nimoy has been offered a cameo in the the new Star Trek film and he has not. Last week we reported on the Shatnervision segment where the Shat said he had not heard anything from Paramount and ‘it made him sad’. It is possible the NYP has convoluted that into Shatner being ‘furious.’ The report is denied by Shatner’s manager Larry Thompson and his office tells TrekMovie.com they have nothing else to say on it. No comment is available from Paramount either. The notion that Shatner has not been cast or even contacted but they are casting Nimoy cannot be confirmed. It is also worth noting that both actors have said they were not interested in unsubstantial ‘cameos.’ For now it is just another one of those rumors (remember the one about Tom Cruise playing Spock). If we hear anything more we will provide an update.

Duncan MacLeod
June 21, 2007 11:51 am

why would you cast nimoy and not the Shat… is money that tight?

KosherCoder
June 21, 2007 11:56 am

This smells totally bogus.

Joe
June 21, 2007 11:58 am

I really don’t care to see either Nimoy or Shatner in the movie. It’s too anti-climatic. It would ruin it for me too see them in the movie. They had there time and it was great, bringing Shatner back for “Generations” was anti-climatic as well. The TOS crew had there swan song in 1991.

The only way I would want to see either of them in a movie if its a TNG film and Spock is in it.

New Horizon
June 21, 2007 12:10 pm

Yeah, this movie doesn’t need Shatner or Nimoy. If they’re going to start fresh, then do it. I said goodbye to the original crew back in TUC. Having to say goodbye…yet again…in Generations was just awful. Leave well enough alone.

June 21, 2007 12:18 pm

Perhaps Nimoy’s terms were more reasonable than Shatner’s…if that’s the case, the ball’s in Shatner’s court.

Oceanhopper
June 21, 2007 12:18 pm

This total hogwash.

They’ll need to recast Kirk & Spock to do an “early years” story, and the only way that people will buy that these are the same characters would be for the new actors to mimic the original performances to at least some degree. Asking Shatner or Nimoy (I consider it inconceivable that they’d ask one and not the other) to appear would only harm their efforts to get people to accept new actors in those roles.

So if I were producing, I’d touch base with the originals every so often, give them a chance to comment on the recasting of the roles and on how their characters are depicted in the new script, and reserve them nice VIP seats at the premiere and lay on a limo for them. But no cameo – it would really be shooting the movie in the foot.

StillKirok
June 21, 2007 12:21 pm

If they disrespect Shatner like that, it would be a big mistake. Rick Berman was dumb enough to disrespect Shatner. Look where he took the franchise.

Shatner and Nimoy should both be in this film. They truly need to pass the torch. Blowing them off would be foolish, especially Shatner.

He’s a big name, a big draw, and he IS Kirk.

People won’t forget Shatner no matter what. Might as well bring him on board.

June 21, 2007 12:24 pm

I think it would be cool to see them as villains from the future mirror universe ala “In a Mirror Darkly”.

June 21, 2007 12:26 pm

It’s a B.S. rumour from B.S. people!

place no credence in it you bloody fools! im drunk!

Kev
June 21, 2007 12:33 pm

This story seems kind of weak. I’m willing to wait for some solid stories to appear about the movie, rather than any speculation out of Hollywood.

Big E
June 21, 2007 12:38 pm

Why have Nimoy and not Shatner?
The story sounds like BS…

In fact, I have a feeling both Nimoy and Shatner will be in the movie and the recent Shatner videos are just him trying to be secretive…

June 21, 2007 12:54 pm

#11:” Why have Nimoy and not Shatner?”

Money, possibly.

The whole issue of Berman’s success as a Trek producer had nothing to do with whether he genuflected to Shatner or not.

I’d just as soon see none of the original cast in this film, but if they do choose to include them it’s not terribly important which ones participate.

StillKirok
June 21, 2007 12:55 pm

Villains from the mirror universe would be weak. Why bother unless they are simply Kirk and Spock, the older versions.

June 21, 2007 1:04 pm

Reading the Post piece, it says that Nimoy was *offered* a cameo role, not that he’s actually been cast. It’s possible that Nimoy might pass on the offer for reasons of either money, the content of the role, or even in solidarity with Shatner – remember their old “favored nations” negotiating arrangement. ;)

My guess is that after all the negotiation-by-leaking is done either both of them will be in the film or neither one will – and their parts will be very small in any event.

June 21, 2007 1:05 pm

why would you cast nimoy and not the Shat… is money that tight?

Maybe because Shatner is gettin’ fatter and fatter?
It’s improbable he can portrait the obese version of Kirk…
I think he should eat and drink less.

:-)

Martin Pollard
June 21, 2007 1:13 pm
ASSUMING that this isn’t total BS (and my gut tells me that this story contains more manure than a construction site port-a-potty after Spicy Burrito Tuesday)… First off, why is everyone apparently going by the assumption that Nimoy would be playing Spock (in some fashion)? He could easily play a Vulcan elder (perhaps one of Spock’s Vulcan Science Academy instructors that tries to dissuade him from joining Starfleet?) as a “wink-wink” to the audience. He doesn’t HAVE to be Spock, and in fact, it would probably be better if he WEREN’T Spock. As far as having Shatner in the film to lend some sort of “authenticity” to the production (an opinion held by more than a few people)… if we were talking the Shatner of 1966, I’d readily agree. Hell, the Shatner of 1986 would even work without much problem. But the Shatner of today? Forget it. I know such an opinion is not a popular one, and I mean no disrespect to the man. That said, there is one big problem with having Shatner associated with this film: his image. Frankly, it is just not possible to take him very seriously anymore (his work as over-the-top Denny Crane on “Boston Legal” is fun to watch, but it only contributes to the problem). His willingness to not take himself seriously is commendable, but it works against his ability to be believable in a serious, dramatic role. (You can even see the barest whispers of this as far back as “Star… Read more »
last o' the timelords
June 21, 2007 1:13 pm

Nimoy refused to be in Generations because Spock was written as a bit part. If Shat & Nimoy are in this it is because they will have a meaty chunk of story.

I still think it will be a sweeping epic story covering a loooong period of time.

Something like the way Tarantino jumps around and tells the story out of order. Spock may have the meatier part as he survived all the way between ST6 and TNG.

Lao3D
June 21, 2007 1:17 pm

If I had to guess, I’d say the script had a part for Sarek, which would be a no-brainer to offer to Nimoy. If the script had no part for one of Kirk’s ancestor’s, no offer, ipso fatso.

If its true, that is. It IS the Post we’re talking here…

June 21, 2007 1:19 pm

“why would you cast nimoy and not the Shat… is money that tight?”

Depends on how much Shat was asking.

Nelson
June 21, 2007 2:08 pm

This is simply sensationalistic headlines designed (manufactured) to irk people like us and to get their publication some attention.

As post #17 said, they won’t be doing the movie if it’s simply to be in it for a cameo, they’ve stated that if they have good reason to be there and contribute, then they’d consider it.

Harry Ballz
June 21, 2007 2:11 pm

#16 “But the Shatner of today? Forget it”.
I couldn’t agree more! Martin, you’ve put forward a reasoned and tempered argument that probably many fans have felt instinctively, if they’re really honest with themselves. What an eloquent explanation as to why Shatner SHOULD NOT be in the new film. Bravo!!!

Penhall
June 21, 2007 2:36 pm

Lets not believe everything we read, people.

Lord Garth Formerly of Izar
June 21, 2007 2:36 pm

Dumb rumors. Bring on some facts

June 21, 2007 2:57 pm

BS meter readings are off the charts.

You’re comment was neither funny nor informative. Please to be having a point then, hmmm?

ObiWanCon
June 21, 2007 3:07 pm

This is completely and utterly RUBBISH and anyone who believes it is well an idiot.

VOODOO
June 21, 2007 3:35 pm

If this is true (which I doubt) it is foolish.

Shatner should be brought back as Kirk.

Xai
June 21, 2007 4:19 pm

Fellow posters
Penhall said it best in #22… among others.

And my 2 cents is that the movie does not need training wheels (Shatner, Nimoy). If it’s to stand on it’s own and hopefully become the start of a new movie series, these gentlemen need to do their best work behind the camera, coach the new actors on the nuances of Kirk and Spock and help usher in the TOS next generation. THAT is truly passing the torch and no time-travel, space rifts, resurections or “remember whens’ are needed. Those crutches would muddy up a good story.

IMO, X

Cap10Kirk
June 21, 2007 4:35 pm

Actually it is possible that Spock could be CGI, it is easier to do aliens. and Nimoy could have a substantial role as the voice of Spock.

Cap10Kirk
June 21, 2007 4:44 pm

Maybe that is something we should ask Rossi,or Bailey or Darren how close they are to that Cgi technology. as Spock said they are always possibilities.

badboy1230
June 21, 2007 5:10 pm

Hmmm. A programable Spock. Where have I heard that before?

Actually I agree with #27. As much as I like Shatner and Nimoy I don’t think they should appear in the movie as Kirk and Spock. If they want to take part on screen then they could play other characters. (Not Kirk’s grandfather or Spock’s Uncle, either!)

Stanky McFibberich
June 21, 2007 5:18 pm

Do we have to always have this rumor stuff put up here?
Maybe this, maybe that….criminy.

Duane Boda
June 21, 2007 5:23 pm

OK….why bother with rumors? Has this site sunk that low to allow such pure garbage? Now….when you have some FACTS then lets here them but I rather hear them from the actors and not some fan website.
I mean….its like eating spam when you can easily afford shrimp or lobster.
Neither of these guys have reason to be jealous….isn’t that rather petty after all? I mean….IF 1% of the population had anywhere close to the fame that these guys have then we’d be lucky….to a varying degree – right? Right!

Tim Handrahan
June 21, 2007 6:10 pm

I for one am not worried. I am confident both will be on board when shooting commences.

VOODOO
June 21, 2007 6:10 pm

Could Shatner be asking for too much money like he did when the producers of Enterprise wanted him to play mirror Kirk? (that could have been a classic episode)

When all is said and done I think (fingers crossed) Shatner + Nimoy will be there.

June 21, 2007 6:24 pm

#32: “OK….why bother with rumors? Has this site sunk that low to allow such pure garbage?”

If a site like this doesn’t report rumors – and *label* them as rumors – traffic will go to sites that do, instead.

Rumors are news – the *news* being that “thus-and-such-a-thing is being reported by thus-and-such-an-outlet and this is what we’ve been able to determine about the report.” Welcome to America.

Anthony makes it perfectly clear when he reports on something how substantial or insubstantial, as the case may be, the sourcing on it is. That enables us to exercise our own judgments, as *adults,* about how much weight we give to a report.

There’s not a Trek or skiffy site of consequence that isn’t reporting this story today. That’s the way it is, June 21, 2007.

Xai
June 21, 2007 6:37 pm

And I am confident this is totally bogus.
Although “reportable” as DB said… it’s sad that some people will think this is real news and get all stirred up over it.

Like we need more “stirred up” Trek fans.

Xai
June 21, 2007 6:48 pm

New York (AP)
DeForest Kelley, Doctor “Bones” McCoy of Star Trek fame was found alive today, fishing in upstate New York. It came as a shock to friends and relatives when informed of the news of the actor’s “ressurection”.
When asked about the unusual circumstances, Mr. Kelley said that…” I was dam tired of the attention Shatner was getting, so I faked the (death). I thought he couldn’t upstage that…”.

Robert April
June 21, 2007 6:55 pm

StillKirok, you hit the self-sealing stem bolt on the head.

Duane Boda
June 21, 2007 7:02 pm

# 35 : And thats why Dan Rather of CBS News was canned. He reported on something that he thought was a fact but was actually a rumor. The basis of any good story is a small story that gets bigger and better once it grows and
gets wider acceptance by the general public.
The public would not accept – tolerate rumors and I don’t see why we should here either. This isn’t the National Enquirer.

Duane Boda
June 21, 2007 7:08 pm

Then again…..why not be like # 36? And be mellow?
Toke them up IF you have them (and thats your thing) and guzzle (hammer) down some bad-boys (booze and such) that way….nobody or nothing will matter. Like Wall Street in here….a world of speculation and chances.

Xai
June 21, 2007 7:16 pm

#39 Duane What’s the title of this story? What’s the first word?

This isn’t being reported as fact by this site and for that matter…isn’t your beef with Anthony if you are so offended?

The basis for a good story is facts. Rumors can be reported on to explain that a rumor exists, but it must explain that it (the rumor) is not backed with evidence at this time.
A story isn’t good just because it was a small story that got “better once it grows and gets wider acceptance by the general public.” A story doesn’t need acceptance to be a story. That sounds more like a rumor.

Duane Boda
June 21, 2007 7:19 pm

Drink your beer….toke that joint….squeeze your babe….do it again…chill dude!

Brian
June 21, 2007 7:22 pm

I think this story is nonsense…it’s coming from the Post, after all….and in the unlikely event it IS true, they’re making a mistake….let’s face it, no matter who anyone’s favorite character or actor might be, William Shatner is a bigger star, always has been.

I seem to recall reading in a book awhile back about the Phase II project where they wrote about a memo that Gene received from the Paramount execs who said they wouldn’t be able to afford both leads on a week-to-week basis, so he had to choose which one he wanted. He chose Shatner, which is why Nimoy was only offered a half-season commitment that he walked away from. Like I said, I read this awhile back and I may be fuzzy on the details. The book I read was not the one the Reeves wrote. I think it may have been an Ed Gross-Mark Altman collaboration.

Duane Boda
June 21, 2007 7:25 pm

# 43 : Thanks for the info and for the clarification – have a nice weekend.

Duane Boda
June 21, 2007 7:31 pm

Actually….go to the Wikipedia site and type in Star Trek Phase II and you’ll have all (most) of the information you’ll need. Maybe more then you knew before.

Thadd
June 21, 2007 7:35 pm

It seems that Shatner really does want to reprise his role as Kirk (this is not based on this rumor, but from what I have read about his talks about being on Enterprise, and his lobbying). Wouldn’t it be logical to inject the franchise with a hypospray of TOS actors before they are all no longer with us? They all seem to want to be a part of the Star Trek universe still (I’m uncertain about Nimoy’s stance, though). If the objective is to instill new interest in Star Trek and introduce it to new viewers, wouldn’t it be a wise decision to use the real TOS actors? I think it does. I understand they can’t be used to play themselves in a prequel type movie, or upgrade of the TOS series because of their ages. However, they could be used in other capacities. Why not try capturing a new audience by setting a new series in post Star Trek 6 where they can use these great actors and actresses to play their characters, but still be able to go back to the days they want to recapture? I could totally believe current Shatner as an older Kirk. Hmm, never mind, they succeeded in KILLING him while he looked younger and thinner. Damn them! Sorry, I just rewatched Generations, and I have a new loathing for the way in which they unnecessarily killed Kirk.

Xai
June 21, 2007 7:49 pm

#46 Thadd… remember that Shatner was an accomplice in that murder… he went along with it and got paid to help kill Kirk.

Ensign Green
June 21, 2007 7:50 pm

I have to admit that I do think this is a rumor, but IF it were true, it would be perfectly logical IF there was a time-travel/flashback connection which was post Kirk’s apparent death on the Enterprise-B in Generations

But it is probably BS, thought.

Ensign Green
June 21, 2007 7:50 pm

But it is probably BS, thought.

Ensign Green
June 21, 2007 7:52 pm

Sorry, I just meant to say that once.