‘Star Trek: The Tour’ Starts January December 5, 2007by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Conventions/Events/Attractions , trackback
It was announced long ago, but details have finally been released for ‘Star Trek: The Tour.’ The Tour is a 50,000 square foot traveling interactive exhibit of Star Trek sets, props, models, motion-simulator rides and more from all five Trek series and all ten Trek films. The tour will visit 40 cities around the country, kicking off in Long Beach California on January 18th, 2008.
A number of Trek vets helped put together the tour, including production designer Herman Zimmerman, costume designer Robert Blackman, make-up supervisor Michael Westmore and visual effects producer Dan Curry. Gene Roddenberry’s son Eugene “Rod” Roddenberry provides narration for the exhibits and the man himself, William Shatner has been dubbed the official ‘ambassador.’
Shatner will be making appearances at ‘a select number’ of the cities on the tour. The official press release quotes the original Captain Kirk saying:
STAR TREK THE TOUR promises to be the largest, most interactive and entertaining Star Trek event ever presented to the public., This will truly be an impressive experience for the whole family and I am happy to be associated with it.
Visit the bridges of the Enterprise
The tour has been put together by SEE Touring Productions. CEO martin Biallas describes the journey of making the tour a reality:
Years in the making, the creation of STAR TREK THE TOUR has been a voyage of discovery worthy of the show itself. Over the past 10 years, we secured privileged access to the vaults for the Star Trek TV shows and films, plucked select gems and tirelessly assembled the world’s leading collection of priceless Star Trek sets, ships, props and costumes. Now, we’re bringing Star Trek to life and inviting the public to experience it up-close-and-personal in a way never before possible.
Highlights of STAR TREK THE TOUR, which can be fully experienced with an accompanying audio tour, include:
- The chance to take a ride through a Star Trek adventure in four full-motion, show-based flight simulators.
- An all-new multimedia Encounter Theater, built like a theater in the round with 360 degree video screens. Computer-generated sequences put visitors in the middle of the Star Trek action.
- The opportunity for exhibit-goers to sit on a full-size Enterprise bridge from the original TV series and have their photo taken and superimposed with an image of the original cast – including Spock, McCoy and Scotty – to look as if the Enterprise crew is standing right next to them.
- Detailed recreations of original sets from Star Trek: The Next Generation®, including Captain Picard’s quarters, Dr. Crusher’s sick bay and the majestic NCC-1701-D Bridge.
- The ability for guests to star with the original cast in an episode of their choice and watch themselves interact with Star Trek icons such as Spock and Scotty. Guests can take home a DVD of their cameo to share with family and friends.
Exhibit Floor plan
Cities & Dates
The tour starts in Long Beach, CA for a limited engagement on January 18, 2008 and runs to February 17. The next 4 cities STAR TREK THE TOUR will visit are San Francisco, Minneapolis / St. Paul, Chicago and Detroit. A full list of the 40 cities is available at STARTREK.COM
Tickets & Pricing
Tickets to STAR TREK THE TOUR will go on sale on December 7th during an exclusive 7-day pre-sale offer for American Express Cardholders. Beginning December 15th tickets will be available to the general public. Tickets can be purchased by calling 213-480-3232 or by logging onto www.ticketmaster.com or www.StarTrekTheTour.com.
Adults: $30 weekdays / $35 on weekends.
Children (12 and under): $16.50 weekdays / $17.50 weekend
Seniors (65+) and military personnel: $25 weekday / $30 weekend.
More information and pictures available at STARTREK.COM
All images Courtesy of STAR TREK THE TOUR and STARTREK.COM