jump to navigation

Shatner In The Movie Saga Still Not Over December 19, 2007

by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Shatner,ST09 Cast , trackback

Over the last few months there have been a lot of stories regarding whether William Shatner will or will not be in the new Star Trek movie. Periodically a report crops up that claims to have the definitive answer one way or another. The latest is a new report at Moviehole claiming ‘final confirmation’ from co-writer and executive producer Roberto Orci that Shatner will not be in the film. However, it appears they have jumped the gun.

Last week at the Paramount WGA Trek event Mr. Orci told TrekMovie.com that nothing has changed on the Shatner front and a decision either way was still possible. The same notion that it was still possible was in his Sci-Fi Magazine interview. In that interview Orci noted that a role for Shatner was still possible but difficult due to Kirk’s death at the end of Generations. Today Orci tells TrekMovie.com that he didn’t tell Moviehole anything different and that there is no change.

Of course Shatner is not helping himself with all his talk about not being in the film being ‘foolish’ or ‘a bad business decision.’ In fact his complaints landed him on Cinimatical’s “Lame in 2007” List. But it appears he may not have learned to keep quiet. Just today KGMB’s Hollywood reporter claims that Shatner said of the new Star Trek movie: “I hope that movie bombs.”

Over? Did you say over?
For those who were disheartened to hear that it ‘was over’…perhaps this motivational speech will raise your spirits. [warning: colorful metaphors]

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Sam Belil
December 19, 2007 10:50 am

I’m totally convinced that this whole Shatner “is in it/isn’t in it” — is just one huge gimmick. After all that is said and done, my gut tells me that he’s is IN IT!!!!!

December 19, 2007 10:56 am

I’d personally love to see him in it, but not as Kirk (of any age or vintage). But I’ll see the film either way :)

December 19, 2007 10:58 am

The eerie thing about that clip is that, two-thirds of the way through, the music starts sounding very Star Trek …

December 19, 2007 10:58 am

As of this moment, Moviehole is on double secret probation!

Crusty McCoy
December 19, 2007 11:01 am

By God, Jim, this has gone on long enough!!!

Get back your command! Get it back before you really do become just another long thread!

Iowagirl
December 19, 2007 11:04 am

Anthony, thanks for your always reliable and up-to-date coverage!

I do hope your gut is right!

December 19, 2007 11:04 am

Think about it – if he wasn’t going to be in it, we would have gotten the final word long ago. They only risk massive backlash by keeping up this “is he or isn’t he” guessing game only to come out in the end said “no.” In my opinion, they’re trying their best to preserve the surprise of the movie without flat out lying to us.

Penhall
December 19, 2007 11:06 am

How about they stop jerking us around and give us a straight answer?

John from Cincinnati
December 19, 2007 11:06 am

To me, it’s not Star Trek unless William Shatner is playing Capt. James T. Kirk. It was a mistake to kill him off, probably why Rick Berman is no longer associated with the franchise.

star trackie
December 19, 2007 11:06 am

Plenty of time to make it work. But I’ll be first in line, regardless.

Hope they can work it out, what an awesome gift to fandom…and me… that would be…especially if it were miraculously managed to be kept secret. The media and fandom would eat it up…except the Shat-bashers of course, many whom are grumbling this very minute at the sheer thought and mention of it in this article! lol

Fingers remain crossed!

McCoy
December 19, 2007 11:07 am

If Shatner loses any weight over the next 6 months we will have the answer.

Driver
December 19, 2007 11:09 am

If he’s in it, fine, if he’s not in it, fine. Either way, I’ll see the film.

Johnny K.
December 19, 2007 11:09 am
This has got to be one of the lamest attempts to keep a secret in the history of Hollywood moviemaking. The fact that Shatner is running around crying like a baby about not being in the movie is proof something is up. Let’s think about this for a second. What is the plot of the new movie? Clearly, it’s a flashback movie. Old Spock is thinking of the past, back when he was just graduating from Starfleet Academy. Don’t expect Leonard Nimoy to sit in a rocking chair and tell the grand story of the day he met James T.… Read more »
Pumpkin
December 19, 2007 11:09 am

With CGI he doesn’t need to lose weight! :P

Won’t even need a girdle! =D

Clinton
December 19, 2007 11:21 am

I think we can all agree that there is a strong possibility that Shatner will or will not be in the movie. That’s my final word on the subject. Now, my advice to you is to start drinking heavily.

Ivory
December 19, 2007 11:24 am

Mr Orci,

Please find a way to get William Shatner in the film as Kirk. I know he has made an ass of himself trying to get in the film, but it would mean a lot to many many people to see Kirk ride off into the sunset rather than fall off a cliff to a bloody + meaningless death.

Mr Orci, please save Captain Kirk.

Pragmaticus
December 19, 2007 11:25 am

Here we go again…

Xai
December 19, 2007 11:27 am

8. Penhall – December 19, 2007
“How about they stop jerking us around and give us a straight answer? ”

They may not HAVE a final answer to give you and they really don’t have to tell us anything. We are not owed, we don’t own this. Sorry.

Xai
December 19, 2007 11:29 am

6. Iowagirl – December 19, 2007

Hi, weren’t you just implying that this doesn’t get enough discussion or coverage over in the Pine thread?

Here ya go…

Ivory
December 19, 2007 11:29 am

Nimoy and Shatner make this film complete. Nimoy w/out Shatner makes it feel half baked.

McCoy
December 19, 2007 11:30 am

Agree. It makes perfect sense.

The needs of the one out way the needs of the many.

Also, why December 25th? What’s the gift? Shatner of course. You have to know you want the gift before you get it, right? So this is all about making us want the gift.

Also, they could have just committed to make a Star Trek reboot without any old characters…and kept Nimoy a secret too. Having Nimoy there is the only thing that makes us ask “why not Shatner?”. Nimoy is the bait. :o)

Ralph Dasani
December 19, 2007 11:33 am

Exciting news. We may get the Shat back after all.

I have to be honest. As much as I love Star Trek I don’t think I would go see this film if Shatner isn’t in it as Kirk.

December 19, 2007 11:36 am
#13 JohnnyK, well put however I would see your version of the new trek film and then I would hate it because of its lack of creativtiy and also its obsession with kirk and spock. Star Trek is a team effort, why would a kick start focus on 2 members of that team? ^ If this film is a rescue mission to save kirk they might as well put it out on direct to dvd because it will do better along side “Starship Troopers” then in the theatres… ^ This film IMO, will focus on the academy, pike and spock.… Read more »
December 19, 2007 11:36 am
What is the deal with this issue? Why can’t they just come out and say he’s not in it? I mean seriously, what are the odds at this point with the script being written and actually being FILMED, and the writer’s strike preventing it from being re-written for the forseeable future, that they will be able to fit Shatner into the story in any meaningful way? I’m not saying it’s a ruse or a conspiracy of any kind, I just don’t get what anyone has to gain at this point by leaving the door open if they really haven’t already… Read more »
dalek
December 19, 2007 11:39 am

Moviehole is very unreliable. I’ve lost count over the months and years they’ve said:

No Arnie for T4

Arnie for cameo for T4

Arnold will not appear in T4

Producers want Arnie for T4

Arnie will only be in a Cameo

No cameo for Arnie

Get the idea lol

December 19, 2007 11:40 am

While I agree that is the missing episode many fants want, it would be the lamest movie ever.

I’m sorry to disapoint you, but I’m totally sure that the Nexus or bringing old Kirk back to life won’t have any presence at all on the movie.

They are making a movie for newcomers and both those things are unrecognizable to newcomers.

Chi Chi Malook
December 19, 2007 11:40 am
Everyone I know wants to see Mr. Shatner as Kirk in this film. Why would they ever invite Mr Nimoy back and not Mr. Shatner? Please spare me that nonsense about Kirk being dead. Wasn’t Spock, McCoy, Scotty, Checkov etc.. all “dead” at one point or another? If they really want Shatner in the film (most fans do indeed want him back) they will find a way. I really think this is just a marketing ploy at this point. It keeps people talking Kirk and Star Trek. Without Shatner I don’t think many people outside of the hardcore fans will… Read more »
Sam Belil
December 19, 2007 11:41 am

I think we can all agree if that Shatner was DEFINITELY NOT IN THE FILM, we would all have known that by now and it would have sprayed all over the mainstream media. The question is — why is it necessary to play this cat and mouse game? To generate more buzz? Not necessary. I think we can all agree we ALL SEE IT, whether he is in or not. I want answers…

Paul B.
December 19, 2007 11:42 am
#13 – Johnny K., your theory doesn’t make a lick of sense. True, they killed Spock and then wrote him into STIII, but they had to make up new Vulcan mysticism and tweak the Genesis plot to explain how Spock came back. Bringing Spock back wasn’t a subplot: it was the entire point of the film. Bringing Kirk back would as a main plot would be stupid, pointless, and a disaster at the box office. Imagine the synopsis of your movie: “An old Vulcan has flashbacks of his youth while he tries to bring back a dead friend.” Ooooohhhh!!! Boy,… Read more »
Captain Hackett
December 19, 2007 11:47 am

The stubborn question about whether or not Shatner is in the movie, has tired and annoyed me a lot. In short, I just want to watch the movie. That is it.

sirh
December 19, 2007 11:47 am

#24… agreed! If elder Kirk was not in the working script at the time of the WGA strike, and they don’t resolve the strike soon, he cannot be written in.

But, there’s always the possibility of reshoots later on in post-production (late 2008). I’m sure hope the strike will be over by then!

Though, Shatner stated he’s better than just a “cameo”. Maybe he can get over that thinking!

#13. I like your plot ideas.

star trackie
December 19, 2007 11:48 am
24-“What is the deal with this issue? Why can’t they just come out and say he’s not in it? ” C’mon. I mean really. What could they possibly gain by spilling the beans this soon in the game? A years worth of fans bitching because he isn’t in it? A years worth of bitching because he IS in it? Nothing is to be gained by revealing ANY surprises of the film a year before it even opens. They have no valid reason to reveal anything THIS soon. Anything leaked or released in an official capacity will be picked apart. The… Read more »
Paul B.
December 19, 2007 11:49 am
#20. Ivory – “End the Shatner/Nimoy era with these two legends riding off into the sunset and then we can start the new era with the new actors.” Um…they already did that. Trek VI actually ended with the entire ship flying off into the sunset (well, into the sun…sorta…ahem…). What’s the point of doing that again? #27 – “Without Shatner I don’t think many people outside of the hardcore fans will really care about this film.” What are you drinking? You think the general public cares about Shatner being in the film? ONLY diehard fans give a crap about who… Read more »
December 19, 2007 11:53 am

I think he is in it . Spock saves the past of young Kirk and that changes time and saves Kirk from death in “Generations”.

December 19, 2007 11:55 am

I wonder if this “will he or won’t he” has something to do with the writer’s strike. In other words, it’s still possible that they might be able to find a way to give him a small wrap-around part with Leonard, but they can’t technically write it until this strike ends. So nothing of the short could likely happen until reshoots next year at the earliest.

December 19, 2007 12:15 pm

Look at Shatner kiddies. He’s lost a bit of weight, and his hair is longer now, like Kirk-length. Thats all I have to say about that. Otherwise: I love John Belushi. Such a phenomanal comedian, and actor. Yay Animal House (I would assume thats Animal House, after all, I can’t think of any other movies like that, that featured a young, not-dead-as-Kirk John Belushi)

ZoomZoom
December 19, 2007 12:20 pm

I’m assuming he’s in until I hear a 100% certain that he isn’t.
Lets face it, they would be nutso not to include him.
If doing a cameo is below Bill then he needs to get over it. It would/
could be the one of the greatest, most moving cameos of all time if done right.

Mütze
December 19, 2007 12:20 pm

This is getting really tiresome. It’s almost spoiling the anticipation to constantly bang on the Shatner issue.

Jupiter1701
December 19, 2007 12:21 pm

This just in — I will also NOT be in the movie. Absolutely, positively. Unless they work out a way to get me in there. In which case I am DEFINITELY in the move. But until I am in the movie, I’m not in the movie. When I’m in the movie, it will be DEFINITE. But if I’m not in the movie, it will also be DEFINITE.

So I’m glad to clear that up for you.

LOL

Sisko Is The Prophet, Peace Be Upon Him
December 19, 2007 12:22 pm
Thanks Anthony, This article is why this site is the best trek site out there. TrekWeb just took Moviehole at their word and declared in their headline “Final Confirmation that William Shatner Won’t be Appearing in the New Star Trek Movie.” But TrekMovie actually bother to check with the writer and get the truth. And you get some Belushi thrown in to lighten the mood. I really don’t konw what I would do with this site…thank god CBS cant lay off Anthony and his gang like they did with the staff of startrek.com. Oh and the voices in my head… Read more »
December 19, 2007 12:24 pm

James T Kirk will be in the film. Whether Shatner will be is another question still up in the air.

Mütze
December 19, 2007 12:25 pm

Who the hell keeps deleting my comments? If you don’t want me here, tell me so, and I’ll leave.

Trek Nerd Central
December 19, 2007 12:26 pm
Oh, goody — this again. It’s like Kabuki theater. So ritualized! Look, so we don’t have to go through this one more time, I’ll lay it out for everybody. Shatner lovers: Hurray! Psych! He’s in the movie! Shatner haters: Who gives a crap! He’s dead and egotistical! And he has disturbing hair! Shatner lovers: Shatner-haters be danged! Shatner haters: Shatner-lovers have no life! Shatner lovers: Long live Shatner! Long live Shatner! Shatner haters: Death to Shatner lovers! Death to Shatner lovers! Shatner lovers: If he’s not in the movie, I WON’T GO SEE IT! SO THERE! HAH! THAT’LL LEARN YA!… Read more »
Shatner_Fan_2000
December 19, 2007 12:34 pm

I think that chain of stores in the malls called Hot Topic should change its name to “Shatner”. Shatner is BY FAR the hottest topic in Trek fandom, if this place is any indication. He’s so hot, the Enterprise should be slingshotting around him! Wake up and smell the tranya, Trek XI producers!

Harry Ballz
December 19, 2007 12:36 pm

I think the Kennedy assassination had less scrutiny and analysis on it than whether or not Shatner’s in the new movie!!! :)

Pragmaticus
December 19, 2007 12:37 pm

I think we just need to pay close attention to what the Shat’s up to day by day. If we don’t hear anything from him for a while, he might be on the set.

Pragmaticus
December 19, 2007 12:39 pm

You know, I think we all ought to enjoy all the speculation surrounding this film, as I don’t think we’ll ever see the like of it again.

December 19, 2007 12:42 pm

#42.. I am. Just randomly exercising my god-like powers to keep them sharp.

Trek Nerd Central
December 19, 2007 12:43 pm

#47. Pragmaticus, that is a highly pragmatic view of things. Good one.

pizza
December 19, 2007 12:44 pm

I expect that exactly one year from now, I’ll be reading the same crap from most of you. It will be December 19 2008 and both camps on either side of the Shatner fence will still be in a pissing contest.

If the writer’s strike lasts until the summer Shatner become moot.

Must be a slow day.

372 dtST

TrekMovie.com is represented by Gorilla Nation. Please contact Gorilla Nation for ad rates, packages and general advertising information.