Comic Con 08: Star Trek Takes Half Of Paramount’s Booth + Possible New Image?

TrekMovie has been reporting that the new Star Trek movie will have a ‘presence’ at the Paramount booth at the 2008 Comic Con taking place in San Diego. The con opened to day, revealing the presence takes up half the booth. The ‘under construction’ theme is in full force with girls handing out construction jobs and new promotional items tied into the new Star Trek movie. Plus there is a new Star Trek-related website (with a possible new image).

Half Paramount’s booth dedicated to Trek
Just as we reported in our Comic Con Guide, Paramount has dedicated half of their booth to just Star Trek with a number of promotions going on. The posters announced last week (the four small sized posters, with one cast member each) were being handed out in the main booth along with other Paramount stuff from other films. On Thursday they ran out of Star Trek posters early on, but were said to have more for the rest of the con. Star Trek poster images also showed up on the big LCD displays around the booth. Due to the booth not being that big to begin, there was a big crowd around the booth looking for free items.

General half of Paramount’s booth

The second half of Paramount’s booth was all about Star Trek. In conjunction with Intel, Paramount was running three promotions related to Trek.

Trek half of Paramount’s booth
(note large image from Teaser trailer on back wall)

Firstly they had eight girls in black Trek outfits handing out "Official Construction Crew" cards. They are wearing black outfits with mini-skirts and boots (note: these are not outfits from the movie).

Yes, there were Trek booth babes

Each card has a scratch off section which reveals your crew position. You must then find seven other people with the different positions to put together a ‘crew team’ and when you do, each person gets a Star Trek bag (which the ladies are posing with above). In addition each ‘crew team’ member gets entered into a raffle to win a laptop computer, with a new one being handed out every day of Comic Con.

Construction crew badge

Collect a crew, win a bag

Yesterday TrekMovie reported that there was going to be another Star Trek poster related to Comic Con and today we found out what that is: it is the same poster revealed last week, but super-sized. This promotional item also requires another card being handed out. The card shows the four quadrant poster of the new crew which gets you the full sized ‘one sheet’ poster that combines the four smaller posters being handed out on the other side of the Paramount booth (as noted above). The catch is that you don’t get the poster at Comic Con. Instead you fill out a form on a laptop and the poster will be mailed to you.

This card gets you a full sized Star Trek poster (just not at the con)

New website +  new image from the Enterprise?
Again all of these promotions are being done with chip-maker Intel who have also put up a new Star Trek related website, boldlygo.intel.com. So far you can only get a download version of the poster at the site, but the site does sport an interesting corridor image. It is rendered in CGI so it certainly is not an actual picture, but it may represent a real image from the Enterprise. It is different than the image that came from the ncc-1701.com viral site. It also looks a lot like an NX-01 corridor. So it is possibly just something Intel did and has nothing to do with the movie.

Intel’s Trek site

Win a Bad Robot
Watching the Trek trailer (or any JJ Abrams show) and you become familiar with the little red ‘bad robot.’ This robot has now been made into a replica collectible, which is being given away and the regular part of the Paramount booth. Just ask the nice lady to scan your pass and you enter the contest

How can something so adorable be bad?

So that’s it for the Star Trek movie and Comic Con 2008. We got the new poster (revealed last week) showing cast members for the first time. Now available both in pieces and full sized. Plus a bunch of stuff at the Paramount booth (badges, cards, and bags) which are sure to be hot E-Bay items in the weeks to come. And maybe an image of a corridor of the Enterprise.

Much more TrekMovie at Comic Con to come
That may be it for Paramount, but there are still lots of things to report on regarding Books, Toys, Trek celebs and more. So keep coming back for more TrekMovie Comic Con 2008 updates.

Schtobes
July 24, 2008 1:04 am

That’s definitely a corridor from the Enterprise, only it’s the NX-01 variety.

July 24, 2008 1:20 am

Second.

Nah none of them are from the NCC-1701.

July 24, 2008 1:27 am

yes, looks definitely like a nx-01 corridor.

see:

NotBob
July 24, 2008 1:39 am

Ummmmmmmm….okay maybe it’s just me, but I think some headlights are on. Must be cold. I hope the new uniforms share some…..similar features. That would certainly make things relevant to today. And it would also make me hopeful. It’s “funny” that the first thing I thought was “amazing.” Ohhhhhhhhhh….my.

Ok….and the fact that I wasn’t looking at any corridor probably says a whole lot about me.

Sean4000
July 24, 2008 1:40 am

Maybe Kelvan era? Since that class of ship would have been built closer to the NX class era.

July 24, 2008 1:55 am

RE: trek booth babes.

I approve of the uniforms.

Lousy_Canadian
July 24, 2008 2:08 am

I want a Bad Robot!

Irishtrekkie
July 24, 2008 3:15 am

i want that bag , really really bad, dear intel, can i have one please !!!

James Heaney - Wowbagger
July 24, 2008 3:34 am

I was going to call it “ballsy” to so blatantly lift the corridor from the NX-01 (looks like the corridor around the corner from Trip’s quarters), but then I realized that (1) “ballsy” is a horrible word that would only occur to me at 5:30 in the morning–much like “correctamundo”, and (2) only a True Nerd (TM) would notice or care about the set reuse. Yes, it’s obvious to us in the Hardcore, but most people will think it’s pretty neat… and not all that different from what we’ve seen of the real 1701 corridor.

Glad to see the movie getting the mad promotion from the Paramounties.

TREK-A-MEKKA-HI
July 24, 2008 4:15 am

“I want a Bad Robot”

…that’s what she said.

The Last Maquis
July 24, 2008 5:06 am

I’ll take the Booth Babes.

July 24, 2008 5:12 am

the enterprise is powered by intel…….we are doomed……every time they make a scan we will hear the intel tune

July 24, 2008 5:27 am

#3 can beam me up anytime.

RaveOnEd
July 24, 2008 5:35 am

The unis the girls are wearing looks to be close to what Zoe Saldana is wearing in the quad poster (just from the sleeve cut and the piping from the neck over the shoulder…)

Viking
July 24, 2008 6:09 am

Yeah, but can Bad Robot bust a move like RoboSapien?

July 24, 2008 6:13 am

I doubt that we’ve seen an image from the new Enterprise interiors yet. I don’t think the one at http://www.ncc1701.com is accurately representative of the sets either.

July 24, 2008 6:15 am

Maybe the NX-01 has a cameo in STAR TREK.

An interesting thought, if nothing else.

July 24, 2008 6:24 am

Man we could use some REAL INFO any time now……….sorry–just sayin’ :-)

Kobayashi_Maru
July 24, 2008 6:41 am

#2- Ha, I love this…since so many people here worked on the movie I’m glad to know that they are proof positive that this is ONLY from the NX-01 version and won’t be used in the movie.

Hope everyone caught the sarcasm.

M'c
July 24, 2008 6:45 am

– I think that the corridor is from a shipyard..not from the Enterprise…by the way..i don’t understand why the girls uniforms are black…really…but i like the new (or..maybe old) insignia ..is very suitable for a fashion contest…is really cool…

July 24, 2008 6:57 am

awww… tha’ lil’ “bad” robot has a phazor at tha’ ready fur anyone who’s aboot ta’ spill some beans on tha’ new Trek film… how adorable… think he put tha’ young bloke who plays Chekov in one o’ them bags fur blabbing months ago…

it’s like havin’ tha’ Sistine Chapel on lock-down and Micheal-angelo showin’ ya’ paint chips here and thar’… but that’s OK… all part of tha’ mystique o’ tha’ new Trek….

A tenner say that Anthony comes up wit’ somethin’ though… well, asides from tha’ Nimoy interview we be gettin’… No worries…

Arrrrrrrrr…

July 24, 2008 7:29 am

#19:”Hope everyone caught the sarcasm.”

My skill at that has grown a bit rusty, since I graduated from the eighth grade many decades ago. Thanks for helpfully drawing attention to it.

July 24, 2008 7:48 am

Ah, to be there. Would be a good birthday present.

nscates
July 24, 2008 7:51 am

@22 – ROFLMAO!!

July 24, 2008 7:54 am

16. In fact the conceit of the corridor shot at http://ncc-1701.com might be that it’s Nero’s ship trying to interrupt the transmission of images of the Enterprise’s construction, much as they might want to interrupt its construction in the movie.

Just a theory…

Commodore Lurker
July 24, 2008 8:00 am

Me likey Trek Booth Babes!

BND, keep that harpoon away from my flank!

THX-1138 The Fandom Menace
July 24, 2008 8:29 am

I saw it! It’s a lion! It’s huge!

July 24, 2008 8:31 am

The Intel website doesn’t seem to be working.

July 24, 2008 8:32 am

Scratch that. It was a security certificate issue.

Gary Seven
July 24, 2008 8:40 am

Unusually attractive girls. Very pretty.

That’s my comment.

I am not Herbert
July 24, 2008 8:54 am

Girls are cute ;-) But I NEED one of those Star Trek Messenger Bags!!!

July 24, 2008 9:25 am

lookin’ again at the corridor pic… fur heaven’s sake I dunna why… but
I can confirm that it be actually part o’ tha’ downed communications satelite that crashed all afire in me backyard… I converted it into an outhouse…

Look closely along the rarely sponged floors ta’ see what BND’s excretory system creates…

OK, back ta’ tha’ lassie pics and tha’ dry t-shirt contest…

Oh- Whar’s tha’ lion???? Is it near Lurker?
H-arrrrrrr…pooooon

Anthony Thompson
July 24, 2008 9:42 am

I’ll take the girl on the upper left, please.

Anthony, where are the other four girls???

July 24, 2008 10:30 am

I already know what Senator Vreenak would say about the corridor image!

The Underpants Monster
July 24, 2008 10:36 am

“I converted it into an outhouse…”

BND – reminds me of a deep philosophical conversation I had with my best guy friend over a late-night TNG episode.

Me: I wonder if O’Brien has to stay cooped up in that little transporter room for a whole shift, or if he gets breaks. Does he get to go to the bathroom?

BGF: (incredulous) Of course not! He just pees into the transporter beam, and it goes out into space!

THX-1138 The Fandom Menace
July 24, 2008 10:43 am

I have two words for your BGF:

Pure Genius.

Dr. Image
July 24, 2008 11:38 am

#33- I, too, am in the Upper Left Fanclub…

This is all so not TNG.
I like it.

July 24, 2008 12:19 pm

35.
Aye… bonny good. And we’ve only just begun ta’ use tha’ transporty ta’ its full potential.

Arrrrrrrr!

Beam Me Up
July 24, 2008 12:37 pm

CHEAP! Bag looks cheap? Who wants a bag? We want a shirt

THX-1138 The Fandom Menace
July 24, 2008 12:56 pm

You would complain about getting something for free.

Trek or Treat
July 24, 2008 2:04 pm

I want a bag and a bad robot.

Just call me greedy!

Number 3
July 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Place looks great…would luv to go…but alas..stuck here in TPA ,FLA.

If ya gotta go…Go witha Smile….JN as J
Please and Long Life

Nelson
July 24, 2008 2:45 pm

Anyone’s browser warn them that the boldlygo.intel.com site has an unfamiliar certificate and warns it may not be a trusted site?

Out There
July 24, 2008 2:53 pm
This just in: Inspired by George Lucus’ goal of marketing his movie to 5 year-olds by inventing the character of Jar Jar Binks, Star Trek director J.J. Abrams has followed suit with his new Star Trek movie. Word on the set is that Star Trek will have its first all-cgi starring character. Bad Robot, the lovable logo of Abram’s production company, will be rubbing elbows with Leonard Nimoy, Zachary Quinto and the rest of the Enterprise crew in the new movie, set to be released in May, 2009. “Our goal with this movie is to reach the next, next generation of Star Trek fans,” Abrams said, while holding a Bad Robot lunchbox. “By making Bad Robot an intregral part of the crew, kids the age of 5 will be able to relate to the wonderful social themes we explore in the Star Trek universe, on their level.” Meanwhile, plans are in order for Bad Robot Happy Meals at McDonalds, action figures, plush toys, games and children’s clothing. A prototype T-shirt was showcased by Abrams himself. It depicted an image of Bad Robot with the quote, “Liiiiiiive long and prosper, Duuuude.” Paramount Pictures hopes to spin off the character into his own movie franchise. “I think it goes without saying, Bad Robot can kick Sponge Bob’s squishy butt,” said Ima Klutz, director of marketing for CBS Viacom. “Once people see the cute Bad Robot twister game that we’ve come up with, every kid will want one!” No word yet on what… Read more »
AJ
July 24, 2008 3:01 pm

44:

Wall-E can do it. Why not Bad Robot?

43: Yes, I had the same message. I’m not sure I would trust Intel with a Windows-based PC, anyway.

Xai,
July 24, 2008 3:57 pm

The library computer was a Mac.

capt Mike
July 24, 2008 4:00 pm

Well. All I want is everything. The girls and the Bad Robot. The Bags and the The mugs.So As Capt Krik would do. Ill take the Girl in green. Or black.

Ralph
July 24, 2008 4:44 pm

That is such a cool promotional idea. Those items are collector pieces. I wish I was there.

July 24, 2008 6:21 pm

I don’t care which ship the corridor is from, as long as there’s a Trek booth babe in it.
Wow, merchandizing! Wonder if they’ll make a movie to go with all that junk.

July 24, 2008 7:45 pm

35.

Suppose there is a transporter accident and the pee gets converted into good pee and bad pee, or pee with a beard? What then?

Same tranporter accident–Wall-ee’s evil twin is Bad Robot.