More Star Trek Footage Described Online [UPDATE: Denied]

JJ Abrams and his team aren’t bringing any footage of their new Star Trek movie to Comic Con, but Aint it Cool News reposts that one of their ‘spies’ has seen about a minute of the film and describes an elaborate space battle scene. [possible spoilers below].
UPDATE: Description denied by TrekMovie sources

NOTE: Unlike the previous AICN report which was from Harry Knowles and based on an invite from JJ Abrams, the new article is from ‘Mr. Atoz’ who submitted it to AICN or is an anonymous spy for AICN, so read the following with that in mind.

UPDATE: according to two trusted TrekMovie.com sources, the described scene is not in Star Trek. As noted above, this description was not posted by Knowles who has been to see footage at Paramount (something confirmed by the same sources).

Mr. Atoz’s description starts out thusly:

The first scene starts out with this massive convoy of freighters (may be refugees?), each towing 2 or 3 even bigger cargo looking crates behind them with tractor beams. They look big and slow-moving. Sort of trapezoid shaped with the narrow end being the front. They’re brown in case you were wondering. I’d say there were about 12-15 on screen in a sort of non-general formation. The Enterprise is near the rear as what I assume is an escort. They all make the jump to warp.

I can’t emphasise how real they look. They all use models, no super shiny pure CGI like in Nemesis. There’s a lot of white light surrounding the ships as they make the jump to warp and then it cuts to the interior of the Enterprise’s bridge with the camera pointing at the view screen. The view screen is much bigger, and much closer to the Captain’s chair and forward consoles.

Read the rest at AICN

750 Mang
July 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Everyone remember where we parked…

Closettrekker
July 25, 2008 6:09 pm

Nice.

Peter
July 25, 2008 6:11 pm

I want more!!

Ruger
July 25, 2008 6:12 pm

Yeah, Paramount didn’t have anything they could show at Comic Con, did they? At least somebody has gotten to see something from this film. Maybe before New Years the FANS will actually get to see something of substance.

Cody
July 25, 2008 6:12 pm

Hmm…. I wanna be a spy now lol

Ali
July 25, 2008 6:16 pm

Is the first scene Kobayashi Maru?

Closettrekker
July 25, 2008 6:19 pm

Could this guy be mistaking “The Cage”-era uniforms for cadet uniforms?

Other than the part about “cadet uniforms”(and Kirk being on the bridge as a cadet? I’ll assume that is also a mistake), this sounds great.

I wonder if Anthony can somehow confirm the validity of this report…Given that this is presumably unauthorized, how would you even go about that?

Admiral Denny Crane
July 25, 2008 6:20 pm

#6 Ali

I don’t think that this scene will be the Kobayashi Maru test. I don’t think we will see any exterior shots, since the Kobayashi Maru test takes place in a simulator, and isn’t really happening. I could be wrong though.

July 25, 2008 6:27 pm

What the hell kind of name is Sunflower for a villain’s ship??

Valar1
July 25, 2008 6:30 pm

Wow, that sounds fantastic! I like the description of the new photon torpedo effect and the shield looking like a bulb that is shorting out. I hope the guy is legit.

oztrek
July 25, 2008 6:34 pm

Skeptical

Einstein Jones
July 25, 2008 6:43 pm

Cadet uniforms? Sunflower? Am I reading the same post?

Prologic9
July 25, 2008 6:43 pm

I doubt they were “all models,” or that there are any model ships in the film (save for something that might need to be blown up, etc.). It was probably just good CGI, which contrary to popular believe, does exist.

Just not in Trek Remastered. (ouch)

Reading this over at AICN though it sounds like they trust this spy, so I believe it’s real.

DEMODE
July 25, 2008 6:57 pm

Could Kirk and family have been rescued by the Enterprise? Maybe he was rescued by the Enterprise from Tarsus IV, where he was one of nine surviving witnesses to the massacre of 4,000 by Governor Kodos. Perhaps these ships carried Kirk and others who escaped fromother parts of Tarsus IV. Just a thought. Would explain why Kirk was so in love with the Enterprise.

sean
July 25, 2008 7:06 pm

There’s nothing that says Kirk couldn’t have been on the Enterprise as a cadet, so I don’t see an issue there.

Closettrekker
July 25, 2008 7:11 pm

#15—No especially, except that it may contradict a previous report (Knowles viewing of a clip from STXI approved by Abrams) that Kirk is NOT given his first assignment aboard the Enterprise after the Academy graduation ceremony. I would have to read this report again, but is it ever clear that the ship in question actually is the Enterprise? If so, that didn’t stick after the first read.

Anyway, I don’t have a “canon” beef with it at all. I just question the accuracy of the “spy report”.

Kirk, James T.
July 25, 2008 7:19 pm

sounds awesome!

braxus
July 25, 2008 7:21 pm

YES! They are using models instead of CGI for some of the ships. Good move.

Also sounds like the Kobayashi Maru like scenereo. I doubt this is the first scene in the film itself. Probably the first scene he saw.

July 25, 2008 7:28 pm

The account doesn’t say that Kirk is on the ship – only that the viewer thought he might be among the cadets.

IIIIIII'M Captain KIRK!!!
July 25, 2008 7:31 pm

I’m curious if they kept Pike’s Enterprise bridge the same as they did in the TOS episodes “The Menagerie”, where all the bridge stations (except the Captain’s chair, of course) have the annoying little snake-like viewscreens.

tbk1701
July 25, 2008 7:43 pm

Is it May yet?

Izbot
July 25, 2008 7:48 pm

12. Einstein Jones –
“Cadet uniforms? Sunflower? Am I reading the same post?”

Yeah, I’m with you. What the hell are these guys talking about?

RE: This Mr. Atoz dude
I don’t believe a word of this. It sounds like Battlestar Galactica. I bet Senator Vreenak would have something to say about this…

Izbot
July 25, 2008 7:57 pm

Oh, I see. A link to the whole article. D’oh!

BTW, Bruce Greenwood ain’t no late 30s/early 40s. More like late 50s/early 60s. *IF* this is real footage it couldn’t be Captain Pike. Only a kid or an idiot would guess someone his age was in his late 30s.

TrekMadeMeWonder
July 25, 2008 7:59 pm
This is for you #3 Peter… The movie opens with Spock STILL on Romulus struggling with old age and his obsession to oversee the reunification Romulus AND Vulcan. The now, very much older Spock, is in the agony of losing his mind due to advanced age. Spocks half vulcan/human/romulan family is there trying to assist the now half crazed Spock through his final days. Spock’s son, ‘Christopher,’ tells Spock of a plot of those opposed to reunification (Nero) intend to go back and destroy Kirk on an early academy training mission. That this would put Romulus in the dissident’s hands again. Spock, now fully distraught and agonized, uses his remaining strength and mental abilities to transport himself through time (a function of Spock’s own MASTERY of Vulcan power and will.) Present Day… Kirk is in command of the Enterprise! He is young (a little too young) and in the command chair flirting with a very attractive female cadet. A klaxon is heard and Kirk spins the chair to see a FLEET of romulan ships appearing out of nowhere. Great FX roll on the screen as the Enterprise battles the attacking ships. An emergency hail is heard over the communication channel. It’s the Kobyasimaru. A thrilling sequence wich involve a slick manuever with Kirk ordering the big “E” between the ships of the opposing fleet causing some of them to destroy themselves. The Enterprise escapes with the distressed Kobyasimaru crew, straight off and out into light speed. A hero is made!… Read more »
Casey
July 25, 2008 8:22 pm

Holy crap. What a post! You just made that up or what??

Simon
July 25, 2008 8:30 pm

The sensors return visuals of a massive Romulan fleet comming into position to surround the Gas Giant.

“Comming”?

Really?

All those “Coming Soon” posters and teasers go ignored…

Loose instead of lose, comming instead of coming…sigh.

Beam Me Up
July 25, 2008 8:31 pm

Yeah, that has to be made up. How could James Doohan be in the movie?

July 25, 2008 8:32 pm

24 — Yikes. Why don’t you slap a cover on that and sell it?

Tanner Waterbury
July 25, 2008 8:33 pm

@ 24
IF THIS IS THE WHOLE MOVIE PLOT, AND YOU SPOILED IT, YOU ARE GONNA BE IN BIG TROUBLE DUDE!. AANTHONY, I REQUEST THAT 24’s COMMENT BE DELETED, IMMEDEATELY!

jimj
July 25, 2008 8:36 pm

#24-Quite an imagination…but the purists are gonna “eat you alive”! lol

July 25, 2008 8:37 pm

Yeah, I wonder when Senator Vreenak will enter the scene here.

jimj
July 25, 2008 8:37 pm

#29-Worry not, it isn’t! ;-)

July 25, 2008 8:39 pm

Wait… I got me own version!!!! Look out!

Ahem….

Star Trek 11:

IT WAS the best of times, it was the worst of times, it was the age of wisdom, it was the age of foolishness, it was the epoch of belief, it was the epoch of incredulity, it was the season of Light, it was the season of Darkness, it was the spring of hope, it was the winter of despair, we had everything before us, we had nothing before us, we were all going direct to Heaven, we were all going direct the other way-in short, the period was so far like the present period, that some of its noisiest authorities insisted on its being received, for good or for evil, in the superlative degree of comparison only.
Then, somehow, Spock and Kirk get it on….

Hmmmm…

Arrrrrrrrrrrr….

jimj
July 25, 2008 8:39 pm

#24-Hey, JJ, stay away from that Romulan Ale…it’s made your fingers do the walking a bit too much (and besides, Romulan Ale is illegal)-hee, hee, hee!

July 25, 2008 8:39 pm

tractor beams operating at warp?

really?

i dont think so, not a chance…

well, so much for ptolemy class freighters…

NoRez
July 25, 2008 8:45 pm

I really enjoyed that – thank you!

Timncc1701
July 25, 2008 8:54 pm

I had to stop reading Atoz as well as #24. I just don’t want to know the plot. I found an online script for Nemesis before it came out. I saw the movie but found myself pointing out variances from the script online. Must have some shooting edits.
Anyway, I liked Nemesis but seeing the script before definitely diminished the experience of the movie. I hope #24 ain’t it. Jolon False, Spock.

July 25, 2008 8:58 pm

“I can’t emphasise how real they look. They all use models, no super shiny pure CGI like in Nemesis.”

That’s one of the coolest things I’ve heard about the movie. That’s cool news.

That One Guy
July 25, 2008 9:01 pm

Hey people, 24 is someone’s imagination being transcribed with a very good writing ability. Don’t get all hung up on it.

I’ll come back in the morning with a nice storyline for you all, and you can get irked up about that. It will involve Futurama, XBox, and Burger King.

Stanky McFibberich
July 25, 2008 9:14 pm

astounding.

July 25, 2008 9:19 pm

I call BS. This “spy” couldn’t know for certain that the starships are physical models unless s/he was working *at* the F/X house doing the VF/X… and if that was the case, the F/X house wouldn’t have the live action elements–only the editor working on the entire film would have all those elements.

MORN SPEAKS
July 25, 2008 9:53 pm

It sounds so overtly fake to me, I don’t believe one ounce of it. Don’t be fooled because his name is Mr. Atoz, he doesn’t seem to know what he’s talking about.

Xai
July 25, 2008 9:55 pm

the viewer is assuming they are models, they likely are not.
I don’t see where this information has been authenticated anymore than #24’s post.

Grandma was from Missouri…… show me.

Xai
July 25, 2008 9:56 pm

in other words… it’s hooey until proven otherwise.

The Last Maquis
July 25, 2008 10:03 pm

Good God # 24!! why didn’t you write a long post instead?

Uh I’m not That Big of a Canon Freak, But the Only thing I really Had a problem with was The RED Phasers. NOOOOO!!! Blue, Dammit Blue!!

JL
July 25, 2008 10:04 pm

Maybe this is part of the next revolution in CGI – the FX are so good, the ships look like physical models. HOLEE – – !!

Leave it to Abrams. He’s gonna kick a$$ and take names with this movie, I can feel it.

JL
July 25, 2008 10:05 pm

hey #24

Dude. That has to be the longest MF post I have ever seen on this site. Have you ever even *kissed* a girl.

Devon
July 25, 2008 10:14 pm

#43. In light of J.J.’s comments, even saying that the Enterprise is both CGI and real.. why is it so hard to believe?

Devon
July 25, 2008 10:22 pm

I have to say… for a one minute viewing that only took place once, this guy seemed to remember A LOT of detail…. fake?

I normally have to see something twice before I can remember details like that, but that’s just me.. so what do I know?

warptrek
July 25, 2008 10:32 pm

43. Xai – July 25, 2008
the viewer is assuming they are models, they likely are not.

Some people can tell when it’s a model and when it’s CGI I usually can. I am not gonna sit here and say I am 100% right all the time but I usually can tell.
There was no CGI Enterprise in the first 6 Star Trek films, perhaps even Generations but I am not certain. You can see the difference in the starship models between the first 7 films and the very last 2 films Insurrection and Nemesis.