William Shatner Still Not In Star Trek Movie – Final Cut Weeks Away

For those who may not have picked up on this yet, William Shatner is not in the new Star Trek movie, yet rumors and conjecture persist that maybe he is. But a new pair of interviews with both Shatner and Star Trek director JJ Abrams denying Shat is in the movie should be the final word on this saga.

Shatner: I know nothing
In the brand new issue of Star Trek Magazine, the original Kirk again recalls that he had some meetings with Star Trek director JJ Abrams, but he still isn’t certain "what those meetings were about." However, he is certain about one thing:

I have no connection with the film whatsoever. It’s the strangest thing. Even my dear friend Leonard [Nimoy] won’t tell me what it’s about.

In the interview Shatner also recounted recently working with Robert Pine, father of Chris Pine (the new Kirk) and that he and Chris exchanged notes of regard. He has nothing but good things to say about the Pines:

It’s a lovely family. I just wish him well, and hope that the movie becomes successful and that he himself is successful in it.

Abrams: Nimoy only — almost has final cut
And in case you are holding out hope that something has happened between the point in time Shatner did the mag interview and today, sorry but you are out of luck. In a press event for Fringe in New York today (reported by IGN), director JJ Abrams addressed the ‘is Shatner in it?’ question by saying:

No, the only cast member from the original films is Nimoy.

Abrams also said that despite others seeing a cut of the film, they were still ‘evolving’ the film, and noting:

I’m hoping the final cut is a few weeks away. But we’re definitely circling.

So there you have it. The final cut (without music, sound and visual effects) is almost done, and it is still sans-Shat. Maybe this will stop the speculation–maybe.

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
KJTrek
August 25, 2008 3:20 pm

I suppose we’ll start seeing stuff on YouTube now… Man, the months are getting very long now.

First?

Deep_Space_913
August 25, 2008 3:21 pm

The speculation will end on Opening night. Until then, people will still want and need the Shat!

jeff
August 25, 2008 3:22 pm

cool i was and how much would one have to pay to get a peak at this come on JJ u must have a price =)

Sean
August 25, 2008 3:24 pm

I think it’s for the best not to have Shatner in it. It was really sounding like putting him in the movie would have looked forced. I’m not worried about the movie, either. Kevin Smith had good things to say about it, and so did Wil Wheaton. That’s good enough for me.

What is it with you?
August 25, 2008 3:29 pm

Shatner’s Star Trek career isn’t over yet.

No need for despair. We haven’t seen the last of Shatner’s Kirk.

But in the meantime, I’ll take Pine’s.

Any Kirk in a storm!

(That one is for you Naval Dude).

What is it with you?
August 25, 2008 3:30 pm

Or should I say…

Any Trek in a Storm!

That one is for you, Voyager!

750 Mang
August 25, 2008 3:30 pm

I still think Shatner will probably show up in it. But hey, I figured that Obama would pick Hillary as VP. Giving people what they want doesn’t seem to be in vogue right now.

I just hope it’s a great movie.

Jordan
August 25, 2008 3:31 pm

If you honestly thought he would be in it you were setting yourself up for disappointment.

Trekkie16
August 25, 2008 3:32 pm

JJ likes to surprise people and he likes “twists”. Maybe Shatner will show up as a photo on the wall at Starfleet academy. I don’t think he will be in the movie but I wouldn’t put it past JJ to place Shatner somewhere in a photo or in the background in a commercial or something obscure.

Bob, the Evil Klingon Frontline Leader
August 25, 2008 3:34 pm

I’ve learned that the secretly filmed Shat scenes will be hand delivered to each theater on opening night.

The again, monkeys may fly out of my butt, too.

Sir Martman
August 25, 2008 3:35 pm

I’ll have to wait until the New Trek comes out,,,to see if William Shatner is or is not in the movie,,,

If not ,,,,,,,,,,I’ll start the ,,”Is William Shatner in the second Trek” rumour ..

I’ll be gutted if hes not in this,, I would give my front teeth to see Mr Shatner have a proper send off with the remaining TOS crew.

Im really worried now that this may be Nimoys last film as “Spock”,,theres a real sence of,,we may never see them together again,,,,sort of feeling

I hate that feeling,,,

:-Z

August 25, 2008 3:43 pm

How is this still news?

I don’t understand how the Shatheads are still going nuts over this. Move on.

OneBuckFilms
August 25, 2008 3:48 pm

Shatner is not in film. I repeat, Shatner is NOT in the film.

That is the end of this Public Service Announcement.

Thank You.

Denise de Arman
August 25, 2008 3:57 pm

Bob#10- LMAO!! Would that be standard chimpanzee-size monkeys or their smaller flying-monkey cousins…

If there is a segment in the film where, say, Spock is viewing a holovid of Kirk made before Kirk’s death (possibly a cut from an original series ep), would that qualify as Shatner appearing in the movie?

August 25, 2008 4:00 pm

I’m surprised they couldn’t reach some kind of compromise… like having Priceline do a little 23rd century product placement? ;)

255 more to go
August 25, 2008 4:06 pm

The more they say he isn’t in it, the more it seems that he is.

Time will tell for sure.

August 25, 2008 4:08 pm

I’d still bet a dollar he’s in a post-credits wait-for-it-while-the-cinema-empties cameo.

I wouldn’t bet a fiver or anything, but I’d venture a single :)

Either way, I hear he’s still locked in as the monster in Cloverfield 2.

VOODOO
August 25, 2008 4:10 pm

That really sucks.

Kirk was given the worst ending of any major fictional character in history.

Let’s hope that Abrams can at least give the character a better ending. If he at least does that I will shut up forever.

255 more to go
August 25, 2008 4:12 pm

At the end of the movie, when old Spock returns to “the future” he arrives at a point in time when Kirk was still alive. I’m guessing we will actually not only see Kirk but also the rest of the surviving actors and the ones who have passed on through CG on the bridge of the starship Enterprise.

Torch passed.

August 25, 2008 4:12 pm

Bring back Shat!

Beam Me Up
August 25, 2008 4:13 pm

I’m sure I’ll get over it.

DeadManWalkin
August 25, 2008 4:16 pm

HONEST TO GOD “WHY ISN’T KIRK (SHATNER) IN THIS??? I don’t care how good it will be (I think it will be great), I would have been BETTER with Shatner… It was their chemistry (Nimoy/Shatner) that made it so special… What the hell JJ?

August 25, 2008 4:18 pm

Pressure is building for the DVD “Special Edition Extended Director’s Cut Approved By God” to feature William Shatner as Kirk performing “Sex In This Club.”

Tim G.
August 25, 2008 4:19 pm

This is great. The FINAL CUT is just a few weeks away and then it can sit on the shelf for what, eight months?

Ali
August 25, 2008 4:21 pm

It will be odd if the plot is to reset the timeline and yet – among a billion other things – Kirk is still dead. I still think a K/S coda would be cool.

Thelin
August 25, 2008 4:23 pm

He’s not in this one, but will probably be in the next one, probably a cameo.

aries127
August 25, 2008 4:24 pm

The Abrams team is right not to bring him back. While Shat is an entertaining actor, he’s a ham. All tongue and cheeck, just what the new team is moving away from, and rightly so.

God love the Shat, but he’s just not a very giving (read: good) actor. He chews up (read: commandeers) every scene he’s in, which must be exasperating for a director. Nimoy’s stillness and gravitas are way more suited to a “good” film, which I hope this will be.

Pierce
August 25, 2008 4:26 pm

I agree. J.J. is brilliant but as good as it will be, it could be “more” with Bill. For god sakes, he is Kirk! The actor you have playing a young Kirk is going to invoke “Shatner’s performance as Kirk” in some form, whether it be subtle or not. Why would you not have him? This is foolish. Don’t get me wrong, this movie will be solid, no question. I’m sure I’ll love it… but in the back of my mind, I’ll walk away wishing I could have seen BOTH KIRK & SPOCK on the same screen again. You guys could have took the time to make it happen… at the end of the day, it’s still just a movie.

Papa Jim
August 25, 2008 4:26 pm

So, he is saying that Shatner is NOT in the movie? Right?

lol

SChaos1701
August 25, 2008 4:26 pm

Under no circumstance to we “need” the Shat.

Tom
August 25, 2008 4:27 pm

stop saying the shat… are you stupid?

Tom
August 25, 2008 4:28 pm

That’s like the “Hoff” which is also completely lame. God, so lame.

Katie G.
August 25, 2008 4:30 pm

Anthony, YOU ARE TOO FUNNY!! This is absolutely hilarious!! I can’t believe this discussion is still going!!

Thanks for giving me a good laugh. Trekkies are, if nothing else, indefatigable.

And yes, I’ve been into the chocolate again…

:-D

kg

Beam Me Up
August 25, 2008 4:31 pm

Maybe he’ll give a speech before the premiere of the movie?

Captain Scokirk
August 25, 2008 4:35 pm

it’s been now like 17 years since the whole crew was together, the likelyhood of that happening again are unlikely, especially given they were unable or unwilling to do it 14 years ago, and if the new flik is a hit sans original crew I doubt that will make a case for bringing them in after the fact, what might be cool is some sort of gimmick where they bring in the survivors on to an episode of Boston Legal, something clever could be worked out there, and lets all hope for a free enterprise 2, that would be a great venue for a lenny/shat mindmeld

John from Cincinnati
August 25, 2008 4:40 pm

So let me get this straight. The producers tell us they can take artistic freedom and change the uniforms and change the Enterprise interior, and this won’t pose a problem with future Spock and why he doesn’t remember it differently, but somehow, bringing Shatner back as Kirk is this huge canon/story problem that can’t be solved. Let’s be honest folks. The writers, producers and director just didn’t want Shatner back. It’s that simple. I’m not saying it’s right. I’m not saying it’s wrong. Just be honest with the fans about the reasons.

DarthDogg
August 25, 2008 4:43 pm

I give up on Shatner being in this. Hell, im still awaiting the return of the Sisko!

SChaos1701
August 25, 2008 4:52 pm

I’ve said it before and I’ll keep saying it.

1) It’s FICTION therefore canon discussions and picking apart a fictional universe is just sad. I used to do it…WHEN I WAS 12!!!!

2) Chris Pine is now the person playing Captain Kirk…end of story.

That is all.

John from Cincinnati
August 25, 2008 4:54 pm

38. EXACTLY. Fiction allows for the suspension of disbelief, such as bringing a Vulcan back from the dead or a starship Captain back.

TL
August 25, 2008 4:58 pm

No Shat No Trek!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I hope JJ comes to his senses and put Shatner in the film!

cellojammer
August 25, 2008 5:00 pm

I love Shatner’s portrayal of Kirk. But…

Kirk died in “Generations”. Shatner looks too old to portray him at any point in time before his established onscreen death. Having him appear in the movie would just be a sentimental gimmick. To shoehorn him in somehow would seriously compromise the credibility of the story for me. Leave him out of it!

Thomas
August 25, 2008 5:00 pm

It’s funny, people are saying that this movie would automatically be better if Shatner were to turn up, but no one is willing to suggest the possibility (however remotely) that Shatner’s exclusion might be his own doing. J.J. and company might very well have felt that Shatner’s presence in this film might not have worked to the movie’s benefit, but who’s to say Shatner’s totally inocent in this matter? We don’t know the whole story. If he’s in it, and it doesn’t feel forced in, great. If he isn’t, oh well. It wasn’t the possible last appearance of Shatner as Kirk that drew my interest in this movie, it was the chance to see Trek return in a big way, having been infused with some badly-needed new creative blood.

What is it with you?
August 25, 2008 5:01 pm

#36 – hit the nail on the head. I’ve been saying this all along, like when they used the timing of the writer’s strike as an excuse.

Right or wrong about the decision, they haevn’t exactly been square about it.

They couldn’t even be that way with Shatner.

I think he played it the only way he could back in the fall – confused and a little hurt.

He’s human afterall.

M33
August 25, 2008 5:03 pm

definition: “shat” – past tense of sh*t.

Please address him by his full last name. The other is an insult. Or whatever.

TL
August 25, 2008 5:04 pm

TOS, the best of all Treks makes its movie return without even an apearance by the original crew? How low is Paramount and JJ gone not to at least throw in a sequence with the orignal crew, especially in a story that revolves around time travel!

JimmyMac
August 25, 2008 5:09 pm

I agree with you #16. This means that Shat is definately in the movie.

Martin Pollard
August 25, 2008 5:12 pm

This breaking news just in: Generalissimo Francisco Franco is STILL dead!

Doug L.
August 25, 2008 5:16 pm

I suddenly have a sneaking suspicion that maybe just maybe as a result of the time travel element… the movie may end with a post credits nod to the Shat…

Imagine if you will… ala Iron Man ending with Samuel Jackson showing up as Nick Fury… Spock returns to the 24th Century to share a glass of Romulan Ale with an aged but alive Admiral KirK!

C’mon… that would be totally cool, doable, not conflict with the movie, and give everyone a double happy ending…

I’m on board. Quote me Doug L. 8/25/08

Thomas
August 25, 2008 5:18 pm

45.TL,
The answer is simple: they don’t have to.

Also, in response to your post #40, Shatner is not the be-all end-all of Trek. Trek is bigger than any one actor or series. I’m not denigrating Shatner’s role in Trek, which was pretty important, I’m just saying that for me, Trek does not begin or end with Shatner. If it did, Trek should have ended with Generations.

TL
August 25, 2008 5:21 pm

Trek is bigger than any one actor, but I for one have more faith in Shatner than in JJ.