Visit The Official Star Trek Shop Now!

New Star Trek Movie Headed To IMAX – Trailer In IMAX Theaters Today

Today IMAX Corporation and Paramount Pictures officially confirmed that the new Star Trek movie will be released simultaneously on IMAX on May 8th, 2009. The film will play in IMAX theater worldwide. And to announce the event the new Star Trek trailer is showing in IMAX theaters this weekend.

Trailer today – movie in May
The IMAX version of the new Star Trek trailer is showing at IMAX theaters around the world, with the new sci-fi remake The Day The Earth Stood Still. That film is playing at 123 IMAX theaters in the US and Canada and an additional 26 IMAX theaters around the world.

To find your closest IMAX theater, go to IMAX.com.
[NOTE: according to spokesperson for IMAX the Star Trek trailer has been provided to all IMAX theaters in English-speaking territories, however it can’t hurt to ask at your local theater to be sure.]

In May the new Star Trek movie will beam into IMAX theaters around the world. The film will be digitally re-mastered into the IMAX format. This will be the first Star Trek movie to be released in the IMAX format.

12.12.08…the day the Earth stood still…and Trek went IMAX

Comments on IMAX from JJ Abrams and others
The official press release includes a number of comments…

Star Trek director J.J. Abrams

I’m thrilled that audiences will be able to experience this new, epic world of Star Trek – with an incredible cast and mind-blowing visual effects – on what is, obviously, the most remarkable film format in the world.

Rob Moore, Vice Chairman, Paramount Pictures

We’re excited to share the enhanced IMAX version of this film with the millions of dedicated fans who have been anticipating this release since production began. The IMAX Experience adds that extra level of excitement to an already action-packed film, giving moviegoers a premium ‘event’ at the multiplex.

Greg Foster, Chairman and President of IMAX Filmed Entertainment

Both Star Trek and IMAX have taken audiences to far away places they would normally not be able to go, and in this case, it’s space – the final frontier. J.J. Abrams has created a powerful movie that has fans worldwide feverishly anticipating its release. We are thrilled to partner with Paramount Pictures to bring J.J.’S exciting vision of this incredible space adventure to IMAX screens.

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Locutus of Alberni
December 12, 2008 1:08 pm

Hmmmm…. now where’s the closest IMAX theater to Port Alberni again???

BonesCLCW
December 12, 2008 1:08 pm

first? Awesome!

paustin
December 12, 2008 1:12 pm

lol well second actually

Sloan47
December 12, 2008 1:16 pm

I’ll be one of the first to buy tickets!!

December 12, 2008 1:18 pm

IMAAAX!!!!!! I can’t wait! 8D

Unfortunately, the IMAX Theatre in Omaha is like… really expensive. And it’s located in a very expensive zoo. UGH. D:

Shatner_Fan_Prime
December 12, 2008 1:18 pm

I heard Michael Rennie was ill The Day the Earth Stood Still. Can anyone confirm that? ;-)

December 12, 2008 1:19 pm

IMAX = COOL….. IMAX 3D would have been cooler. But still cool none the less.

John
December 12, 2008 1:21 pm

If you live in Port Alberni you would go to the National Geographic Imax Theatre in Victoria, BC located in the Royal British Columbia Museum.

captain shroom
December 12, 2008 1:28 pm

Finally a news item without complex discussions of quantum mechanics.

IMAX, that’s easy, no PhD required…

…unless the theatre is in an alternate universe…

OneBuckFilms
December 12, 2008 1:33 pm

9 – Since there are Infinite universes, it means that there are Infinite IMAX Theaters ;-)

captain shroom
December 12, 2008 1:34 pm

My migraine is back.

OneBuckFilms
December 12, 2008 1:35 pm

Actually, the fact that Star Trek is being shown in IMAX is a sign that Paramount has faith in the movie.

December 12, 2008 1:41 pm

#12 Or…. After spending 150 mil on the movie, a few bucks more for IMAX is not that big of a deal. :P

Just kidding. Great news nevertheless.

captain shroom
December 12, 2008 1:42 pm

Here’s some irony, our IMAX is a mere few blocks from the McGill University’s William Shatner Student Centre.

So is there one near Vulcan, Alberta? Hmmm

PDX Trek
December 12, 2008 1:45 pm

# 6 – Yes!

But he told us where we stand…

..which I think was in line to see Trek at the IMAX…

Locutus of Alberni
December 12, 2008 1:49 pm

#8 – I don’t think that the Museum shows many theatrical releases. But I can only hope!!

#14 – I know that there’s at least one in one of the Silvercitys at the south end of Calgary.

Duncan MacLeod
December 12, 2008 2:07 pm

My girlfriend lives within a short (15 minute) bus ride from Navy Pier, Chicago, where we will see it. When we started dating 2.5 years ago i warned her she would have to go see this movie at some indeterminate time in the future. I have also been talking about it non-stop. Oddly enough, she is still with me, go figure!

Ciarán
December 12, 2008 2:11 pm

There is no IMAX theatre in Northern Ireland. Well, there is, but it was closed down less than a year after it opened (and that was abouit 8 years ago). It used to show those terrible “simulation” experiences (like “Dinosaur Adventure” or something like that). It never showed actual movies. It’s such a pity because it’s been there for 8 years, unused. I think that if they showed real movies on it, the IMAX theatre they have would be booming with business. So disappointed that I’ll never get to see STAR TREK in IMAX.

Vance S
December 12, 2008 2:15 pm

Edmonton, Alberta has at least two IMAX. One in West Edmonton Mall and the other in the Telus Space Sciences Centre. The latter being more appropriate. ;)

Star Trackie
December 12, 2008 2:20 pm

Nice. I always made it a point to see the 70 mm showings of the Trek movies back in the 80’s, can’t wait to see Trek on the IMAX.

Now if it would just play at the local DLP theater…since I’ll be seeing it 20 times, I’d like the last showing to be as crisp and clean as the first.

Orb of the Emissary
December 12, 2008 2:23 pm

Sweet! There’s an IMAX theatre right down the street from me! :-)

oztrek
December 12, 2008 2:25 pm

Bigger is better. I may have to fly to Sydney for the premiere – the screen 29.42m high by 35.73m wide, When they fire photons I’ll have to duck!

Such great news. This movie will be a visual feast!

Rusbeh
December 12, 2008 2:29 pm

Brilliant news.
That makes three cinema visits of Star Trek:
the German Dub, the original version and the IMAX Version.
Have a Imax theatre 120 kilometers away from me, thats worth it!!!!

December 12, 2008 2:40 pm

I won’t see the trailer with a mediocre remake of a classic.

Art•Rob
December 12, 2008 2:52 pm

Last night, I was lucky enough to see a free screening of “Day the Earth Stood Still” (which I give a B+/A-) at the IMAX here in NYC. As an unexpected treat I got to see the Star Trek trailer there. Needless to say, it gave me serious goose-bumps and I felt so happily nerdy. I will definitely be see this at the IMAX. Watchmen too BTW.

December 12, 2008 3:16 pm

TDTESS 2008 is sub-par, but not awful. I imagine seeing it in Imax (I did not) would make it even better.

Trust me, you’ve all sat through worse movies that this.

David (Flaming Wings Forever)
December 12, 2008 3:18 pm

1.) Vancouver. Dude, if you email me ahead of time, I’ll pick up an extra ticket for you.

22.) Visual feast – heck yeah. But we’ll have to see it 3x just to catch everything.

24.) How can you see a movie, when it’s just your brain floating in the jar?

25.) Lucky bast$#@! <– not really a swear word. Honest.

C.S. Lewis
December 12, 2008 4:07 pm

Alright, I’m convinced: as an IMAX release, this becomes a must-see event. Now I must decide between the commercial IMAX cinema at King of Prussia or the smaller installation at the Franklin Museum & National Shrine on the eponymous Boulevard.

braxus
December 12, 2008 4:14 pm

Ok. I stand corrected. It IS coming in IMAX. SO much for what they told me some months ago. I never did hear back from IMAX with the second email.

Captain Otter
December 12, 2008 4:38 pm

Trek. Imax. Drool.

December 12, 2008 4:44 pm

IMAX is always an awesome way to see a film.

SexyAsianGurl
December 12, 2008 4:50 pm

NOT CANNON! Star Trek must ONLY be viewed on 1960/70s approved cinematical technology otherwise it will be in violation of Rodenberry lore & dogmatism.

The Last Maquis
December 12, 2008 5:05 pm

# 32 SexyAsianGurl

You Keep Saying “Cannon”, Technically, in this Context, the spelling of the word Cannon is not Canon…….

…………I haven’t had Dinner Yet, and I’m acting like the rest of these Goof Balls…….Guess I just wanted to reply to ya……

…….I’ve got nothing……..

Reliant
December 12, 2008 5:05 pm

Well….Rodenberry’s vision of Star Trek was items of
1) Starships
2) Transporters
3) Personal Handheld Communicators
4) Synthalhol
5) Phasers with both Kill and Stun
6) Bio-Beds that could monitor your life signs
7) Tricorders
Gee it sounds to me that Star Trek under Rodenberry’s vision of the F*U*T*U*R*E
was Futuristic in nature. So seeing it on an IMAX film presentation, seems pretty future like to me. :(

Thorny
December 12, 2008 5:08 pm

24… “I won’t see the trailer with a mediocre remake of a classic.”

Wow! There are reviews of the remake of TDTESS that say it is as good as “mediocre”? They liked it a lot more than most other reviewers…

Jote
December 12, 2008 5:25 pm

I bet Poland, the a**hole of Europe won’t get an IMAX version. Heck, we’re lucky to see ST in May. The ONLY European country that the movie premieres later than normally: 29.05. What a turnoff

George
December 12, 2008 5:36 pm

This says a lot about the film, the fact they are going transfer the film to the very expensive IMAX format. So the powers that be must feel that this film will be out of this galaxy.

Not even “The Dark Knight” was completely in the IMAX format only parts of it.

ChattaSadie
December 12, 2008 5:45 pm

Will the movie be in every IMAX theatre? I’d love for it to be at the one in Chattanooga!

December 12, 2008 6:10 pm

it is not known how many IMAX theaters will have star trek, but probably the same group that have THe Day The Earth Stood Still. A lot of IMAX theaters are in musuems and run the sciencey discovery channel kind of stuff.

Sera18Alpha
December 12, 2008 6:15 pm

Does anybody know whether this Imax experience will be in 3D or standard IMAX DMR (which is for short 2D) form?

Chancellor Jake
December 12, 2008 6:39 pm

@ #5. There’s a second IMAX theater in the Omaha metro area. The Star Cinema in Council Bluffs, IA has an IMAX screen.

Capt Mike Of The Terran Empire
December 12, 2008 6:46 pm

Well. Im in Luck. The Imax Theater here in Austin Tx shows Movies. From The Dark Night to The day the Earth Stood Still and im seeing that one in Imax and Way kool to see the Trailer on Imax. Ill be first in line with my Ticket already bought for the Imax Showing of Star Trek. Now this is way to kool. Or as Scoty says. TIS EXCITING!!!!!!!!!!.

Xplodin' Nacelle
December 12, 2008 7:15 pm

I hope they give out 3-D glasses like they did for Superman Returns!

I remember ducking last year when the big E flew toward the screen during an TOS-R episode. It was a hilarious realization when I caught myself trying to get out of the ship’s way. 2-D never looked so real.

I hope to have a similar experience when I see this movie in freakin’ IMAX!!!

captain shroom
December 12, 2008 7:17 pm

She must have an inner geek, either that or you took her to Mamma Mia 26 times!

trekboi
December 12, 2008 7:27 pm

Hmmm should make more money for Paramount…
The IMAX in Melbourne Auatralia is so lame- the screen is big yes- but the seeting starts from the middle of the theatre so its no different than sitting in the front row of the regular theatre- which i usualy do.
unless they include extra scenes like they did with TransFormers IMAX id be hard pressed to find a reason to see JJ Abrams new Star Wars… i mean STAR TREK film at my local IMAX

is this design flaw in any other IMAX theatres around the world?
I only go for 3D Films

SexyAsianGurl
December 12, 2008 7:34 pm

33: YOU ARE NOT CANNON! Technically you died in the 21st Century, whereas I am from the 23rd and my crew of the USS.BRITNEY are going to boycott this movie, and your pathetic spelling quibbles!

EFFeX
December 12, 2008 8:13 pm

Sounds great, there’s an IMAX in the mall down the street from me. I can’t wait for this!

Bob
December 12, 2008 8:55 pm

That is wonderful 10 min from my house

Going2IMAX4sure
December 12, 2008 9:40 pm

oh my Fn God.. in IMAX.
This just keeps on getting better.
Woohoo!

Going2IMAX4sure
December 12, 2008 9:40 pm

oh my Fn God.. in IMAX.This just keeps on getting better. Woohoo!