Report On Star Trek World Tour Press Event in Madrid April 19, 2009by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Marketing/Promotion,Star Trek (2009 film) , trackback
On Friday the Star Trek world promotional tour stopped in Madrid, Spain to hold a press screening and press conference. On hand were JJ Abrams and many of his Star Trek stars. With the help of our Spanish partners, TrekMovie has compiled a report from the event and how Star Trek is playing with the Spanish media.
STAR TREK TOUR IN SPAIN
Report compiled by Ignacio López Echeverría of ClubStarTrek.es
Madrid Press Conference
Like with Paris, there was no gala premiere in Spain, but JJ Abrams did come to Madrid to hold a press conference. With him were Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana and Eric Bana.
The Star Trek tour in Madrid
Summary of coverage of Star Trek in the Spanish media
Star Trek has not been very popular in Spain, however the JJ Abrams event received a lot of positive coverage in the mainstream Spanish media. Here are some examples.
- [includes video]Report says you don’t need to be a Trekkie and that you need to be Vulcan not to be thrilled.
- Zoe Saldaya is quoted says that when she was a child and heard the song of TOS in the living room, she thought “Oh, there are the old ones watching Star trek. Well the young ones are here watching Star Wars.”
- First lines of the text it says: "’Live long and prosper’ is what the Star Trek characters wish to each other, and that’s precisely what the producers want to give to the followers with this new entry of the saga, number eleven, which gives this science fiction story a rejuvenating lifting.”
Tve1 (National TV) [includes video]
- In the video Zoe says she learned the Vulcan salute five years ago from Spielberg. JJ says he was a fan of Star Wars, and Quinto says he was scared of Spock’s ears as a child.
- Article opinion: “It looks like the Enterprise still has some missions ahead”
RTVE (National TV) [includes video]
In video Zoe Saldana makes the Vulcan salute and says (in her perfect Spanish), that she learned the Vulcan salute five years ago from Steven Spielberg
Also, Quinto says that he was terrified by Spock’s ears as a child, but he loves them now
- Again mostly the same kind of overview, but a couple of notable quotes..
- “The gigantic noteblock in which he writes and which he hides with care could be sold for a fortune on the internet. In it, J.J Abrams stores all his secrets, from strange drawings doodled in a hurry, which seem to be timelines, to ink spots describing characters which will one day be in a new successful movie or TV series.”
- “Nimoy had said he would never make a sequel again, but after reading the script he changed his mind. “If he said no, we where screwed”, joked the director.
- Mostly same kind of coverage, with some new quotes…
- Abrams: “I feel like someone who has arrived very late to a party” says the director with irony, who assured after this film he feels “much close to the trekian universe”.
- Eric Bana jokes with the press: “ Abrams sold Nero to me as a romantic leading man. He was probably talking about the sequel.
The Star Trek Madrid Press conference
(ClubStarTrek.es has more pictures on the forums)
Greeted by fans outside hotel
After their press conference, JJ Abrams and his stars were greeting outside their hotel by Spanish fans. Here is a video of that.
Base Estalar Nexus has more photos from the hotel fan greet
The Star Trek tour in Madrid
More TrekMovie Star Trek World Tour coverage
TrekMovie has been covering each stop on the world gala tour for JJ Abrams and his Star Trek team, with our own team on the spot when possible. Here is a summary of articles so far:
- Syndey Australia premiere [Australia fan Q&A Video]
- New Zealand premiere
- Kuwait showing to troops
- Moscow premiere
- Paris press conference
- Berlin premiere + Berlin press conference
NEXT STOP: LONDON
Tomorrow the Star Trek gala world tour stops in London for a press conference and gala premiere. TrekMovie has a team that will be reporting from both the conference and the red carpet. Look for our first report Monday afternoon/evening and a follow-up on Tuesday.
The compilation of links from websites with text comes from "Base Estelar Nexus" The links from TV where found by Gonzalo Arauzo from the fanclub from Madrid. The pictures from the entrance of the hotel come from the national fanclub, its friends and the posters in its forums.