First Look: Preview for Star Trek Remastered “The Cage” Airing Next Weekend

In the first weekend of May, the final new episode for the Star Trek Remastered series in syndication will finally air. Just in time for the buzz around the new Star Trek movie, comes the remastered version of the first pilot for the Star Trek TV series, "The Cage". CBS has given TrekMovie a first look at the promo trailer, check it out below.

Before Kirk, there was Pike — Before Greenwood, there was Hunter

[hit ‘HQ’ button to see in higher quality]

"The Cage" airs first weekend in May – full TrekMovie coverage
The digitally remastered version of Star Trek’s first pilot airs the weekend of May 2nd & 3rd. Next week TrekMovie will bring our final episode coverage for the Remastered project with an exclusive interview and our final episode review by Jeff Bond (with screen shots and video).

April 22, 2009 12:13 pm

Can’t wait to see this!!

April 22, 2009 12:15 pm

About time! I hope it’s worth the wait. (:

Swollen Ballz
April 22, 2009 12:15 pm

I always loved this episode. Cant wait too see Pike explored more fully in a few weeks.

April 22, 2009 12:16 pm

Cool. I miss the days when this was part of the site.

Scott Macy
April 22, 2009 12:16 pm

First? Hey – I will set the Tivo for sure!!! Can’t wait. I may show this at a Trek party right before the movie!!

Raphael Salgado
April 22, 2009 12:17 pm

Wow, that commercial trailer made the episode 10x more exciting than I ever remember it being. At least we’ll have lots of Trek stuff to do right up until the release date. Now, if I can only get to an IMAX theater instead of the crappy AMC cinema I bought my tickets for…

April 22, 2009 12:18 pm

Also…something that’s not talked about very much….the music in this, I believe, is all Alexander Courage in this original pilot. There’s some really good stuff that no one seems to talk about much. Some ooky, spooky, atmospheric stuff.

April 22, 2009 12:21 pm

it is ok- but they could have done more with the opening and closing shots of the Enterprese- more constructed sequences.
they stuck to the original effects too closely.

Swollen Ballz
April 22, 2009 12:24 pm

#9 Mr. Pascale

It’s funny you said that! I forgot entirely there was still one more remastered episode out there! LOL!

April 22, 2009 12:29 pm

Nice. It looks decent. I saw it in theaters a few years ago.

April 22, 2009 12:29 pm

The uniforms in this episode are really cool. The bridge is also really cool. Way better than the Kirk TOS one. I can’t wait!

Star Trackie
April 22, 2009 12:31 pm

#8 Agreed. I think it was done early on inthe process, when they were working on the new version of the Menagerie, before they started taking more liberties with certain shots.

April 22, 2009 12:32 pm

I really wish there was a place where I could get all of these remastered trailers. They stopped posting them on the website when everyone was fired.

April 22, 2009 12:32 pm

Too cerebral, try something more like “Wagon Train to the Stars.”

Kevin Rubio
April 22, 2009 12:33 pm

Where’s Leslie Nielson and Robby?

Swollen Ballz
April 22, 2009 12:33 pm

I forgot to ask. Was there ever an interview on Greenwood’s thoughts concerning Jeffrey Hunter’s portrayal of Pike and which direction he will take it in now? Dont remember reading anything like that (not implying you did not post it) of course :)

I am curious that MAYBE we might see the accident that crippled him, perhaps? Forget it: May 8th will answer.

April 22, 2009 12:34 pm

Since the original pilot didn’t have the traditional opening credit sequence, I’m curious to see what they do with it. Certainly they won’t keep Shatner’s “final frontier” monologue.

April 22, 2009 12:35 pm

Would be nice to finally see, however, they pulled TOSR from the line up this year on the only network that ran it, so unfortunately I won’t be able to see it. Bogus.

Sybok's Secret Brother
April 22, 2009 12:37 pm

Excellent timing… as though it were a part of a plan… ;-p

April 22, 2009 12:38 pm

if it’s a rebroadcast of what’s on the “Remastered” edition Season 3 DVD, it’s breathtaking.

April 22, 2009 12:40 pm

Courage composed the scores for “The Cage” and “Where No Man…” before the producers started “tracking” music to be reused.

April 22, 2009 12:40 pm

As #20 asked…ISN”T THIS ALREADY ON THE SEASON 3 SET? I already watched this…

April 22, 2009 12:41 pm

I have been waiting a while for this. Even that first shot that pans in through the dome of the bridge. I can’t wait!

Duncan MacLeod
April 22, 2009 12:41 pm

14. The Remastered DVDs have all the trailers, but they are the original 1960’s trailers unfortunately.

BTW i thought the Cage was restored very nicely. I watched for a few minutes, but then decided to wait and watch the same effects on THE MENAGERIE

Mr. Zoom
April 22, 2009 12:41 pm

Oh man, I will be in Arizona but I will definitely have to record this.

April 22, 2009 12:41 pm

15: LOL!

Rat Boy
April 22, 2009 12:44 pm

April 22, 2009 12:45 pm

#14 – I don’t think there are trailers for all of them. does have the trailers for a bunch of episodes (can’t remember how many). If you have a purchased version of Quicktime, you can right-click download them once they’ve played all the way through.

If there’s another site out there that has them, I don’t know about it.

#18 — If this is the same version that came out on the Remastered DVDs this winter, then there’s nothing like an extended credit sequence or anything. Just like it was in the original version.

Someone correct me if I;’m wrong, but isn’t the episode reviewed somewhat in the season 3 remastered DVD review on this site?

April 22, 2009 12:54 pm

Some day, not as far away in the future as you’d think, SAG and producers will come to an agreement that will permit full CGI reproduction of actors’ images.

Remember the “younger Patrick Steward” in X-Men 3?

Imagine that technology used to impress a young Bill Shatner, Leonard Nimoy, et al, over the physical actions of the new Star Trek movie cast.

Because of the strong, almost severe fandom, of canon loving Star Trek fans, you could sell a pile of direct-to-DVD movies/episodes.

As for me, just the snipet of Bruce Greenwood lecturing a split-lipped Kirk has me wondering about Bruce in THE CAGE.

John from Cincinnati
April 22, 2009 12:55 pm

No, but I’m sure Nero has a Gamma ray chamber on the Narada to dispose of his enemies.

April 22, 2009 12:55 pm

20. Telly1138 – April 22, 2009

agreed: this is easily the best looking episode on that DVD set. They did an excellent remastering job on this one, so much so, that I wish the other episodes in the set looked as good.

April 22, 2009 12:57 pm

If you have tunes, look up Star You can download all the trailers that are out so far.

John from Cincinnati
April 22, 2009 12:59 pm

The commercial is wrong. Anyone who knows Trek history knows Robert April was the first Captain of the NCC-1701, NOT PIKE!

April 22, 2009 1:02 pm

Ick. Leave me out of that. Stewart and McCellen looked creepy, and if they do that after Shatner or Nimoy pass away I’ll really be creeped out. Leave the acting to the living.

April 22, 2009 1:03 pm

Cartoons don’t count ;)

April 22, 2009 1:08 pm

Wasn’t this already shown in its remastered state? You can watch it on cbs for free.

April 22, 2009 1:08 pm

@34: April has never been part of the canon. He just apeared in Non-Canon-TAS and Non-Canon-Books.

April 22, 2009 1:09 pm

Why was my comment deleted? :(

April 22, 2009 1:13 pm

Cool news.

it’s just a shame that the only ship shots come at the very beginning and very end of the episode.

Unless the remastered folks inserted a couple of others, which I doubt.

Mr. AtoZ
April 22, 2009 1:13 pm

#36 sean
Better check ur facts again.
It’s not the animated series, check the Star Trek encyclopedia, page 13. April, Captain Robert T. First captain of the original Starship Enterprise.

April 22, 2009 1:14 pm

To Telly1138…

I don’t own the DVD set… but I’m GUESSING that you might be confusing the two part episode: ‘The Menagerie’ with this … the original pilot episode. No SPock on trial here…. just the full-on original pilot, that NBC didn’t pick up, but asked for another pilot instead.

April 22, 2009 1:18 pm

They remastered Menagerie, which means they have re-mastered a lot of this episode already. I guess there’s still, somewhere around 60 % of the remastered Cage yet to be seen.

The Robert April issue is tough. On the one hand, he’s in TAS, which i really think should be cannon (it’s on TV, anything on Tv or film right?).
Since the novels and comics aren’t considered cannon, I’ve always thought they belonged in some alt-universe anyway (similar to the new film).

April 22, 2009 1:19 pm

Where it all began. Pretty heady stuff for 1964.

April 22, 2009 1:22 pm

See it now before Abrams hits the history eraser button and Spock’s 11 years with Pike on the Enterprise vanishes in a puff of reboot!

P.S. I miss being more about the remastered TOS than about the new movie. Ah well, there’s always Phase II.

April 22, 2009 1:22 pm

Believe it or not..

We have TV in Arizona. We’re just getting this fancy thing called “cable tv!” Can anyone tell us more about it?

April 22, 2009 1:23 pm

#42 (and others)

My season 3 DVD has The Cage in both remastered and unmastered form. Not to be confused with The Menagerie. The new FX and remastering is superb.

But can anybody tell me why the DVD’s don’t have the new episode preview commercials on them? It’s great to have the originals, which were on the OTHER set of DVD’s I already bought but the new previews were really cool and fit with the idea of the modern take on the FX with a new and exciting tease.

April 22, 2009 1:28 pm

I still own “The Cage” on VHS…it came out in 1987, and it contained an intro by Gene Roddenberry himself (looking very old!) I got it when I was around 10 or 11, so it must have been in 1995… I remember waching it over and over again, I was FASCINATED and so proud that I had the VERY FIRST EPISODE of Star Trek!! I used to stump my friends…”Who was the first Captain of the Enterprise? Kirk! WRONG!” And I remember Spock smiling in the show!! Great stuff…I’m actually excited to see Pike fleshed out a little bit more in this film…I know its a reboot and its an alternate timeline or whatever, but I always thought this character was such a mystery

And maybe we’ll see Number One again!! (Not Riker, the ORIGINAL Number One!)

And the ships doctor prescribing martinis!!

April 22, 2009 1:37 pm

#43 Spock’s Inner Conflict — it’s “canon” (as in canonical), not “cannon”. Spread the word.

Jefferies Tuber
April 22, 2009 1:38 pm

This episode is the ultimate. It’s cerebral, geeky, romantic, tragic, cold, just brilliance in every way. I can’t frieken wait.

With KO trying to make space for Carol Marcus, we’ll probably never see Number One again. Uma Thurman was born to play Number One.