ShatWatch: Bill Reads Palin Poetry On Tonight Show + Helps Greenpeace Send A Message

shatner palinIt has been a busy 24 hours for William Shatner. Firstly, it seems Bill and Conan have moved on from the ‘salute incident‘ as The Shat appeared on The Tonight Show to do a comedy bit last night. We have video of that below. In other William Shatner news, today he got involved in a Greenpeace event protesting toxic chemicals being used by HP, you can listen to his message to HP employees below too.

Shatner reads Palin poetry
During Conan’s monolog he talked about Sarah Palin’s farewell speech as she resigned her office as Governor of Alaska, and Conan decided to bring Bill out to recite part of the speech as a spoken word performance. Here is the clip from NBC.com (sorry USA only).

Shatner helps Greenpeace send a message to HP
But Shatner isn’t done sending messages this week. He has been recruited by Greenpeace in their guerrilla campaign to get HP to stop using toxic materials in their products. Today employees of HP were greeted by a phone message from Shatner calling on HP to stop using toxic chemicals, as other electronic companies like Apple have done. [You can listen to the message by CLICKING HERE]. In addition, Greenpeace activists painted ‘Hazardous Products’ on the roof of the HP headquarters in Palo Alto this morning (using non-toxic finger paint). More info at The Register and WIRED.

Roof of HP building today (more photos at Flckr)

NCC-73515
July 28, 2009 12:25 pm

The next movie could have a Greenpeace message like TVH, I’d love that!

Greg
July 28, 2009 12:25 pm

Isn’t what Greenpeace did vandalism?

July 28, 2009 12:25 pm

I love Shatner.

Shatner_Fan_Prime
July 28, 2009 12:33 pm

Saw that last night. The audience LOVED it! Go, Bill!

AJ
July 28, 2009 12:34 pm

My God.

Was that random parts of the speech, or a whole cohesive chunk? Sounds like the ‘shroomies have definitely kicked in.

Shatner as the messenger is brilliant.

sean
July 28, 2009 12:41 pm

Wow, that Greenpeace message is cool! Great job from Shatner.

Greg, didn’t you know? William Shatner’s Kirk said this: “I don’t like to lose.” He just changed the conditions of the test there, goofball!

Danpaine
July 28, 2009 1:00 pm

Excellent. He’s the best.

July 28, 2009 1:07 pm

What Shatner did was merely annoying. What the rest of Greenpeace did was vandalism. Apparently, vandalism that a sizable contingent here finds most impressive. If pro-lifers did this, there’d be a witch-hunt. Sigh.

I'm dead Jim
July 28, 2009 1:14 pm

2. I’ll take non-toxic finger paint graffiti vandalism over toxic planet poisoning chemicals any day. Besides, The Shat’s got their back!.

July 28, 2009 1:19 pm

What’s worse: Vandalism, or filling the planet with toxic chemicals?

Harry Ballz
July 28, 2009 1:24 pm

For those of you not living in the USA, you can watch the Shatner clip on Youtube!

Capt Krunch
July 28, 2009 1:26 pm

I hope I have half his energy at 78!. or even live that long!! ..Shat is the man!!

July 28, 2009 1:26 pm

Thumbs up for that Greenpeace action!
Hope HP will follow this request…

William Kirk
July 28, 2009 1:32 pm

10 Thanks :-)

DiDi
July 28, 2009 1:46 pm

8. Those poor Anti-Choice advocates just can’t get a break, can they?

BrandonR
July 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Damn Conan’s tall.

Gary
July 28, 2009 1:46 pm

They should. Their overpriced garbage laptops are always running behind, they should at least appeal the green market.

jocor
July 28, 2009 1:46 pm

Shatner also narrated the intro for Conan’s In the Year 3000, segment. It seems Shatner may become to the Tonight Show with Conan O’Brien what James Lipton or Abe Vigoda was to Late Night w/ Conan O’Brien. The go-to old guy for any embarassing segment that requires someone with no shame do.

Izbot
July 28, 2009 1:52 pm

8. When pro-lifers resort to ‘vandalism’ it usually means someone’s been killed.

NX01
July 28, 2009 1:55 pm

Sara Pal…in………………….is such a beautiful wo………………………………..man

Finally something that was perfect Shatner’s Dramatic readings as pauses.

You guys should check out Shatner’s Version of Rocket man on You tube.

Here is the link, enjoy

earthclanbootstrap
July 28, 2009 1:55 pm

^ #17.

And that’s what makes him so endearing, despite his many flaws… ;-)

Shatner_Fan_Prime
July 28, 2009 1:56 pm

#17 “The go-to old guy for any embarassing segment that requires someone with no shame do.”

Or hilarious segment, depending on how you look at it. Shatner has always been a “friend” to Conan’s show, and his willingness to take part in these comedy bits means he can also come on any time he wants to promote whatever he’s doing. Kudos to Shat for having both business savvy and a sense of humor!

rogue_alice
July 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Kudos to Shat for having both business savvy and a sense of humor!

I must say, I am amazed at his business acumen. Great for him!

July 28, 2009 2:18 pm

Shatner is to Conan O’Brien what Takei is Howard Stern…

I love it… as someone else had said (beating me to it) I hope to be as active as the Shat man when I am 78.

#16: Hey Gary, you obviously have a grudge… I love my HP laptop (have had two of them and love them both).

July 28, 2009 2:20 pm

Awwwwwwwwwwk…

Loves ye’, Bill… Bill always had tha’ Northern Lights on him in all those Starry Trek movie posters…

Got me a transcript o’ what Shatner sang- here goes:

She packed her bags, FREE flight, zero hour, Nine……… AM…
And she’s going to be as HIIIIIIIIGH as a… kite by…. then…
She’s a Republican! Republican…. burning up her moose up there alone…
And I THINK it’s GOing… to be a long long time…
‘Till FOXNews stops covering her behind
She’s not the woman you think at all…
Oh, no, no… she’s a Republican! Republican…

Not that thar’s anything wrong wit’ that… I belong ta’ tha’ Labour party meself… still haven’t gotten pregnant yet though…

Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…

July 28, 2009 2:24 pm

#15: It was tough to be an abolitionist, too. We’ll survive.

jas_montreal
July 28, 2009 2:36 pm

Lets have Bill and JJ together on the tonight show !!!

Check the Circuit!
July 28, 2009 2:48 pm

Is The Shat dropping some weight? Training for TJ Hooker? Lookin’ good!

AJ
July 28, 2009 3:10 pm

Hey. Shatner is Emmy-winning, and is up for another one, UNLIKE Jay Leno this year.

Let the man do what he pleases.

July 28, 2009 3:29 pm

I live in the USA and I can never make those NBC embedded clips work.

July 28, 2009 3:49 pm

Wow, that was sure a great poem that Palin wrote…

The Chief
July 28, 2009 4:00 pm

Hooray for vandalism. Maybe they can move on to desecrating some graves next!

sean
July 28, 2009 4:01 pm

Ha, this is exactly the kind of thing Bill is perfect for.

sean
July 28, 2009 4:05 pm

Right, because those two actions are completely equal. Sheesh.

Thomas Jensen
July 28, 2009 4:06 pm

Cool. It reminded me I need to go out and purchase more ink for my HP printer.

JohnWA
July 28, 2009 4:42 pm

2, 8, 32 –

I’m pretty sure it is vandalism. Not that it matters, mind you.

Getting a jury in San Francisco to convict Greenpeace activists? That’s like trying to get a jury in Manhattan to convict a banker. Or a jury in Los Angeles to convict a celebrity.

It isn’t going to happen, folks.

July 28, 2009 5:06 pm

#19: “When pro-lifers resort to ‘vandalism’ it usually means someone’s been killed.”

Damn straight. Scott Roeder, a common murdering thug, is a hero in those circles.

God bless ‘im I think the Shat can wear that kind of comment as a badge of honor. His exuberance is wholly admirable.

ken1w
July 28, 2009 5:08 pm

And now, HP has to use some toxic chemicals to wash the toxic paint from their roof. Good job, Greenpeace, you bunch of media-mongering hypocrites.

Matt
July 28, 2009 5:09 pm

That’s such a great goodbye speech.

If she even tries to run for President, that can be the ad

… “Whew!”

Brett Campbell
July 28, 2009 5:17 pm

Go! Shatman! Go!

Perhaps the speech was written by Michael Palin instead of Sarah Palin. Or maybe Eric Idle — it sounds more like his work.

In any case, Shatner is the best.

I plan to finger paint that on the roof of HP once they clean off the Hazardous Products stuff.

Kev-1
July 28, 2009 5:19 pm

He’s /Shatabulous!

kmart
July 28, 2009 5:27 pm

The drinking water in Silicon Valley (except for Palo Alto, which has its own pure source) is for shit, mainly because of all the stuff the companies dumped in from the late 70s onward (one of the reasons we moved.)

There probably isn’t enough pain in the bodies of the folks who run HP to make up for all the crap they’ve caused down through the years in terms of eco-damage. I’m thinking Greenpeace isn’t Tyler Durden enough … not saying they should be stupid like PETA, who alienate their own, but geez, get on the ball with more, otherwise GP will always play the victim (remember their seagoing vessel RAINBOW WARRIOR being blown up by French agents a couple decades back?)

The Last Maquis
July 28, 2009 6:05 pm

Anarchy!! I always Say.

Shatner Rocked.

Charlie
July 28, 2009 6:31 pm

How come Hooker does go after the “scum” at HP?
(insert Shat-pauses where applicable)

Maggot Scum! Maggot… Scum… ! MAGGOT! SCUM!

MAG………….. GOT SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS… CUM!!!

EEEEEEEEEE… Plebmeestah!

Charlie
July 28, 2009 6:32 pm

That should be ‘doesn’t” folks.

DiDi
July 28, 2009 6:36 pm

26. Er, I was saying that in jest, but if I am misunderstanding your response, then that’s on me.

Unless of course you are serious and really think controlling uteri(?) is anywhere near as noble as getting rid of slavery.

July 28, 2009 7:17 pm

Ha

C.S. Lewis
July 28, 2009 7:41 pm
Izbot: It is difficult to believe you wrote what you did, considering abortion kills every time its tried. (Leon Festinger was certainly an unappreciated prophet of the coming age.) Perhaps, rather than considering only the motivations for hatred ascribable to your post, you might consider these words from long ago: John xii:35 – 43, particularly the part about hardening of hearts: 35 Then Jesus said unto them, Yet a little while is the light with you. Walk while ye have the light, lest darkness come upon you: for he that walketh in darkness knoweth not whither he goeth. 36 While ye have light, believe in the light, that ye may be the children of light. These things spake Jesus, and departed, and did hide himself from them. 37 But though he had done so many miracles before them, yet they believed not on him: 38 That the saying of Esaias the prophet might be fulfilled, which he spake, Lord, who hath believed our report? and to whom hath the arm of the Lord been revealed? 39 Therefore they could not believe, because that Esaias said again, 40 He hath blinded their eyes, and hardened their heart; that they should not see with their eyes, nor understand with their heart, and be converted, and I should heal them. 41 These things said Esaias, when he saw his glory, and spake of him. 42 Nevertheless among the chief rulers also many believed on him; but because of the Pharisees they did not… Read more »
WallDoctor
July 28, 2009 8:02 pm

I really like Sarah Palin. I hope she really uses the next couple of years to really get the Conservative message out there, but man, that was really a bad start with that resignation speech. It was so hilarious.

I started to roll my eyes as I figured they would tear her apart (like the media usually does) but I have to admit, Shatner’s jab was really good natured fun and in this situation deserved. She’s got to stop with the mixed metaphors.

July 28, 2009 8:11 pm

#48: “John xii:35 – 43, particularly the part about hardening of hearts:”

Hmm…was this before or after he instructed his followers to murder physicians in their churches?

Actually, he didn’t. Bet you didn’t know that.