Leonard Nimoy Does Not Expect To Be In Star Trek Sequel September 20, 2009by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Fringe,Star Trek (2009 film),Star Trek Into Darkness , trackback
In a new radio interview with NPR, the original Mr. Spock, Leonard Nimoy, says that he feels that he done the job he was required to do for this year’s Star Trek movie, and he doesn’t expect to return for the sequel. We have the full audio and text excerpts from that interview below, plus a recent comment from Damon Lindelof, who is working of the story for the Star Trek sequel with Bob and Alex.
Nimoy: no need for me in Trek –
The inclusion of Leonard Nimoy’s Spock in this year’s Star Trek was a clever way to tie the ‘prime timeline’ of Star Trek history to the new ‘JJ-verse’, but the actor was also an excellent endorser of the new team and film. However, Nimoy seems to now feel that his work is done for the new era of Trek, telling NPR:
I know why they wanted me in this last film, which was to create a bridge between the original cast and the new, but that’s been done. So I would suspect that there’s no need for my presence again.
Nimoy says that he would read a Trek script if they sent him one, but he doesn’t expect it. Although he will not say that he is finished with Trek, Nimoy has handed the baton to the new Spock Zachary Quinto, noting:
I’m proud of what he did in the film. I think it’s very good work. I think the character is in very good hands
Although he seems to be re-retiring from Star Trek, the actor is still popping out of retirement for JJ Abrams and his FOX show Fringe. He talks about that and his latest photography projects in the full audio interview below. (via NPR) .
Lindelof: Cool ideas for next Star Trek
Speaking of the next Star Trek movie, Damon Lindelof, who is working on the story with Bob Orci and Alex Kurtzman, gave a brief update a week ago to the website SciFiCrush, saying:
It’s in the preliminary stages. We’ve thrown around some cool ideas, but that’s it.
This comment is in line with recent comments from Abrams and Orci (here and here), making it appear that work on the screenplay for the Star Trek sequel wont begin until they finish with the story, and that is just starting to be discussed. According to early reports, the script for the second Star Trek was due around the end of the year. Since then Abrams and Paramount have also put Mission: Impossible: IV into development, with a script for that due also due around the end of the year. Both films have been reported to be in line for 2011 releases, but Paramount have yet to set dates for either.