Exclusive: Preview Image of “Where No Man Has Gone Before” From TOS Season 3 Blu-ray

2009 has been a big year for Star Trek on Blu-ray and the final release arrives in December with Star Trek Season Three. One of the big special features is an HD restoration of the unaired pilot version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before". We have an exclusive preview image from that restoration below.

Preview image from TOS Season 3

In addition to getting HD versions of all the Season 3 episodes, viewable with seamless branching between the original and new CGI credits, plus all the special features the previous seasons have received, the new box set will include a bonus version of "Where No Man Has Gone Before". This will be the unaired ‘pilot’ version of the show, which, according to CBS includes "an entirely different version of Captain James T. Kirk’s opening monologue, music that contrasts from the famous opening theme and an extended action sequence." The recently found 35mm film print has been restored and transferred to HD for the set.

Click to enlarge

Season 3 on Blu-ray arrives December 15th, and can be pre-ordered at Amazon.

TOS Blu-ray 3-seasons series pack
CBS is also putting out a 3-seaons Blu-ray Star Trek pack on December 15th.

[click to enlarge]

The 3-season Star Trek Blu-ray pack is available for pre-order at Amazon.

Season 3
Set cover & details

[click to enlarge…also available: front view]

Disc One:

• Spock’s Brain
  • The Enterprise Incident
  • The Paradise Syndrome
  • And the Children Shall Lead
  • Is There In Truth No Beauty?
  • Special Features:

• Chief Engineer’s Log
    • Memoir From Mr. Sulu
    • Captain’s Log: Bob Justman
  • BD Live enabled, Mobile-Blu™ enabled

Disc Six:

• The Cage
  • The Cage (Extended Version)
  • Where No Man Has Gone Before (The Unaired Alternate Version of the Pilot)
  • Special Features:
    • David Gerrold Hosts “2009 Convention Coverage”
    • “The Anthropology of Star Trek” Comic-Con Panel 2009
    • “The World of Rod Roddenberry” Comic-Con 2009
    • Billy Blackburn’s Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories Part 3
    • “To Boldly Go…” Season Three
    • Collectible Trek
    • Star Trek’s Impact
  • BD Live enabled, Mobile-Blu™ enabled

Lord Garth, Formerly of Izar
November 30, 2009 6:54 pm

The Empath!!!!

The Red Shirt Diaries
November 30, 2009 6:57 pm

Spocks Brain in HD BD! I’m there!

“Brain, brain? What is brain?!?”

steveo
November 30, 2009 7:04 pm

Bring it!!! Love Star Trek

MrData
November 30, 2009 7:06 pm

Nice, I’ve been waiting for the set to be released.
Comic-Con single day passes are released on the 15th as well…

Ran
November 30, 2009 7:29 pm

The box set is definitely the Trek release of the year. Way to go CBS!

November 30, 2009 7:39 pm

Check out how much Takei looks like John Cho in that screenshot from WNMHGB. Eerie.

AJ
November 30, 2009 7:47 pm

Bring back Gary Mitchell!

Operation--Appropriate!
November 30, 2009 8:07 pm

This is great!! Once more unto the breach for a Wal-Mart special!!

Prologic9
November 30, 2009 8:15 pm

George Takei looks very John Cho in that pic. I’ve never really seen a similarity until now.

BrandonR
November 30, 2009 8:35 pm

You can see a bit of Chris Pine in Shatner here too, IMO.

Jeff
November 30, 2009 8:37 pm

Someone didn’t sew the badge properly onto Gary Mitchell’s uniform.

Ah, the wonders of HD!

Khan was framed!
November 30, 2009 8:51 pm

Gary Mitchell needs to show up in JJTrek 2!

Capes
November 30, 2009 9:13 pm

If anyone looks at the “overhead through the pipes” shot used at the beginning of the unaired version, it is very reminisent of a similar scene that was used in ST VI. I thought it was interesting because I don’t think what they did in VI was intended to be a throwback.

Dom
December 1, 2009 12:32 am

Fabulous! I presume Season Three is out early next year in the UK. I’m getting the season two Blu-ray for Christmas! Really looking forward to it!
WNMHGB in the alternate version pretty much rounds out all the TV sets for me. Not likely to buy the cartoon series in HD unless ‘More Tribbles, More Troubles’ is really staggering on the Season Two set. Maybe if they can reanimate them with modern animation . . .

Thanks for the preview image!

Trekkie626
December 1, 2009 12:50 am

Takei really does look like Cho. Scary

Hat Rick
December 1, 2009 1:30 am

So when are we going to see a YouTube preview already? :-)

Drew
December 1, 2009 1:40 am

There have been low quality vids of this on YouTube for years. I’ll start you with this one, but there’s plenty more to be found.

December 1, 2009 2:23 am

Is it just me, or does George Takei actually look a little like John Cho in that preview image?

December 1, 2009 2:24 am

Oh, I see it’s not just me. Ok then, nevermind the above. :)

captain_neill
December 1, 2009 3:17 am

Should it not be the other way round, don’t try to compare the originals to the new ones, it should be the other way round.

THe originals will always be better

Dom
December 1, 2009 4:14 am

20. captain_neill

Get used to it! ;)

captain_neill
December 1, 2009 4:30 am

Just saying I prefer the originals and seem to get fed up that they are trying to compare the originals to the new actors, I just thought it should be the other way round.

I mean the originals defined the characters. The new actors are alterrnate universe version of the character, they are similar but different.

The movie is good but this is about TOS

David B
December 1, 2009 4:38 am

Nice, but they could have shown a picture of something not in the standard version, I won’t get the Blu-Ray anyway, I don’t have a Blu-Ray player and I own way too many DVDs to buy them all again on Blu-Ray.

Dom
December 1, 2009 4:42 am

22. captain_neill: ‘Be nice to talk about TOS without having to compare it to the Abrams movie. TOS came first.’

Ain’t gonna happen! ;)

23. David B

Then don’t! Buy a Blu-ray player and buy Blu-ray discs from then on. You can still play your DVDs on the Blu-ray player. I’ve made a couple of replacements, but mostly am picking up where I left off on DVD and going forward with Blu!

KevinA Melbourne Australia
December 1, 2009 4:47 am

Can anyone work out whats happenning at Amazon?

They’ve got the 3 pack listed $24 more expensive then if you buy the 3 single packs together! And they call that BEST PRICING!

Bren
December 1, 2009 4:51 am

Captain Neill;

My reaction to the shot was “Wow, so Cho DOES look like Takei”.

I think that’s what everyone here means. It’s shedding some insight into the casting of these characters in the new film.

The same goes for the Shatner/Pine resemblance here.

I think you can rest assured that noone on this site is in danger of forgetting who came first, who established the characters, who weaved the magic of Star Trek for us.

The simple fact is, this site is dedicated to the new movie and it’s successors, so JJ’s cast (no matter one’s opinion of them) are almost always on our minds here.

Anyway,

What little I’ve seen of this WNMHGB edit on Youtube seems much more inventive and dramatic in style than the original aired version. Quite ahead of it’s time.

I frakking love Star Trek. It’s awesome. (The franchise as a whole, I mean.)

Bren
December 1, 2009 4:56 am

Oh, by the way, is anyone seeing any Urban in Gary Mitchell? Hehehe.

David B
December 1, 2009 5:29 am

I agree with not forgetting who came first, Shatner is the Connery of Star Trek.

For a bit of fun…

Connery——Shatner——The Ultimate
Lazenby——Bakula——-Not Enough time to develop
Moore———Picard——-Kept franchise going
Dalton——–Brooks——Different, perspective
Brosnan—–Mulgrew—-Action oriented
Craig———Pine———Reinventing

I don’t like to put Scott Bakula as Lazenby but Enterprise’s running was shorter than DS9 or Voyager.

Ed
December 1, 2009 5:30 am

Since these have beem remasterd up to HDTV standards, I wish they would go for the full experience and reformat these in true 6:9 letterbox.

crazydaystrom
December 1, 2009 6:02 am

#29-

To reformat from an original 4:3 aspect ratio to 16:9 would require loss of some of the original image. Not acceptable.

hawke
December 1, 2009 6:39 am

I think this is great and all, but if you look closely-

This frame is scratched and dirty as all get out. They may have transferred it and jazzed up the color, but the restoration leaves a bit to be desired IMO.

Jeff
December 1, 2009 6:51 am

I assume that the “extended action sequence” from the unaired “Where No Man Has Gone Before” is just the series of corridor shots just before Kirk, Spock and Mitchell board the turbolift. Or is there more?

Thomas Jensen
December 1, 2009 9:03 am

I have this episode in VHS and it’s not all diffferent then the final version, but it’s interesting all the same. Mine’s going up on ebay, no use for it now! This third season set is going to be excellent. Allthough its generally regarded as subpar to the first two seasons, I really like many of the episodes. At the very least, many scenes are done very dramatically and are entertaining.

Dr. Image
December 1, 2009 9:21 am

I’m still waiting for them to re-re-master those lousy early nacelle caps…

Anthony Thompson
December 1, 2009 9:24 am

$193.00 isn’t down to earth enough for me!

Lore
December 1, 2009 9:36 am

#35 Capt Kirk: Scotty pay for the Blue Ray disk set.
Scotty: I’m given em all I got Capt……
Capt Kirk: All you got isn’t good enough, you got any more?
Scotty: Maybe if we eject the core the explosion will cover our escape, we run out the door with the disks and keep our cash.
Capt Kirk: DO IT DO IT DO IT!!!!!!!!!!

Anthony Thompson
December 1, 2009 9:44 am

What does it say on that nameplate type thing on the right side of the captain’s chair?

DGill
December 1, 2009 9:46 am

In regards to the preview image, I don’t get it. Is there something different going on in that image or what?

AJ
December 1, 2009 9:47 am

22:

Talking about TOS without referencing JJ’s film is quite easy.

The site is run on discussions of topics, which, of late, have been oriented toward the new flick.

This topic is about TOS season 3. A few gems, a few jokes, and the ‘original’ WNMHGB and also, I believe The Cage.

Looking forward to Droxine in HD.

December 1, 2009 10:24 am

You know what would have been a must-have for the third season (and final) TOS blu-ray set?

REMASTERED BLOOPER REEL

McCoy: Jim…
Kirk: I’m okay Bones…
McCoy: Are you alright?
(cue: crack-up)

Argelius
December 1, 2009 10:56 am

Why is it that the Blu-Ray boxed set costs more than buying the 3 seasons individually?

Capes
December 1, 2009 12:13 pm

#34 Be careful what you wish for…..The remastered Mirror Mirror episode has the nacelle caps back on the mirror E….

Trekboi
December 1, 2009 12:33 pm

Cho vs Vintage Takie?
I’ll take them both- lol

still doesnt answer if there are branching new VFX on “Where no man has gone before” or if it’s like the 1988 “The Cage”

Check the Circuit!
December 1, 2009 2:54 pm

@ 34

For God’s man…! Let it go! You’ve been complaining since 2006. Time to move on.

Pat Gleeson
December 1, 2009 5:14 pm

@ 14 UK / Ireland release is February 1st 2010

The Guardian
December 1, 2009 5:56 pm

Re-mastered Blu-ray version of “Where No Man Has Gone Before.”

Wow!

The best part of it is no lens flares, no lame story by Orci and Kurtzman, and NO JJ Abrams!

FANTASTIC!

MikeTen
December 1, 2009 7:03 pm

#25, I was thinking the same thing. Is there something extra if you buy the three seasons together?
I hope so if on Amazon you can buy the three seasons individually for about $40 dollars less than the cost of buying them packaged together.

Sean4000
December 1, 2009 10:06 pm

@34, You’re not alone. There’s a laundry list of things that could have been remastered but weren’t. This episode brings one thing to mind. One thing is for sure, TOS will be remastered again. I have no doubts.

Dom
December 2, 2009 12:49 am

48. Sean4000

Yeah, watching the show in production order makes everything seem rather . . . inconsistent. I mean, all the starship shots are changed in The Squire of Gothos, but not the ‘Tally Ho!’ captions on Uhura’s screen.

For the most part, I really like the FX and always watch the Blu-ray eps with the new versions but they should have had a couple of weeks more research time to get things as right as they later became before they were thrown into the punishing schedule they had to keep up!

And I’m still surprised that they never added Balok’s missing line in The Corbomite Maneuver!

McCoy's Gall Bladder
December 2, 2009 1:04 am

Gary Mitchell was a deep character that was tempted by absolute power and became corrupted absolutely.

I’d like to see him and Kirk battle a thing in JJtrek 2 and possibly redeem himself. Maybe they can fight Lord Garth?