Giacchino Wins Two Grammy Awards for ‘Up’ January 31, 2010by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Music,ST09 Creative , trackback
Star Trek composer Michael Giacchino was nominated for four Grammy awards, including one for his score for Star Trek (the only Trek film to ever be nominated for a Grammy). And tonight Giacchino picked up two Grammys, but both were for his Up score. More details below.
Giacchino takes home two Grammys for "Up"
Michael Giacchino was nominated for a total of four Grammy Awards in three categories. Three of the nominations were for his Up score and one for Star Trek. In the end he picked up two Grammys, both for Up. Here is how the three categories broke down:
Best Score Soundtrack Album For Motion Picture, Television Or Other Visual Media
- The Curious Case Of Benjamin Button (Alexandre Desplat) [Concord Records]
- Harry Potter And The Half-Blood Prince (Nicholas Hooper) [New Line Records]
- Milk (Danny Elfman) [Decca]
- Star Trek (Michael Giacchino) [Varèse Sarabande]
- Up (Michael Giacchino) [Walt Disney Records]
Best Instrumental Composition
- “Borat In Syracuse” from “Jazz-Clazz” (Paquito D’Rivera) (Paquito D’Rivera Quintet) [Timba Records]
- “Counting To Infinity” from “Dialmentia” (Tim Davies) (Tim Davies Big Band) [Origin Records]
- “Fluffy” from “Legendary” (Bob Florence) (Bob Florence Limited Edition) [MAMA Records]
- “Ice-Nine” from “Lab 2009″ (Steve Wiest) (University Of North Texas One O’Clock Lab Band) [North Texas Jazz]
- “Married Life” from Up (Michael Giacchino) [Walt Disney Records]
Best Instrumental Arrangement
- “Emmanuel” from “In Boston” (Jeremy Lubbock) (Chris Botti & Lucia Micarelli) [Columbia]
- “Hope” from “Revolutions” (Vince Mendoza) (Jim Beard With Vince Mendoza & The Metropole Orchestra) [Sunny Side Records]
- “Slings And Arrows” from “The Comet’s Tail: Performing The Compositions Of Michael Brecker (Vince Mendoza) (Chuck Owen & The Jazz Surge) [MAMA Records]
- “Up With End Credits” from Up (Michael Giacchino) [Walt Disney Records]
- “West Side Story Medley” from “Resonance Big Band Plays Tribute To Oscar Peterson” (Bill Cunliffe) (Resonance Big Band) [Resonance Records]
Giacchino had previously been nominated for a Grammy twice, and had one once (Best Score Soundtrack Album for Ratatouille).
A complete list of winners is available at HitFix (not at post time the awards were still going on, so list is being updated).
Michael Giacchino accepting one of his two new Grammy’s on Sunday January 31st
Giacchino destined for Oscar?
This season has been very good for Michael Giacchion. Just a couple days ago he lead the list of nominees for the International Film Critics Association Awards (with a total of nine). Although Giacchino scored three 2009 films (Star Trek, Land of the Lost and Up), it is his work on Up that is getting him the most notice. The composer has been nominated for an Oscar once before (for Ratatouille), but didn’t win. But after winning the Grammy and the Golden Globe for Up, Giacchino appears to be the front-runner for the Oscar for Best Score.
Take a listen to "Married Life" from Up, which just won Giacchino a Grammy.
And here are videos from Giacchino’s Golden Globe win for Up.