LA Times Film Fest: Leonard Nimoy Talks Star Trek, Fringe & More: Full Video & Highlights June 12, 2010by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Celebrity,Feature Films (TMP-NEM),Fringe,Nimoy,Star Trek (2009 film),TOS , trackback
Last night the LA Times kicked off their Hero Complex Weekend Film Festival with a showing of Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home, with guest Leonard Nimoy. Video from the event is now online, and you can watch the entire Nimoy discussion and Q&A below. We also have some highlights of his comments.
Nimoy at STIV Screening 6/11/2010
Highlights from Nimoy
On Star Trek (pre-ST09)
- "very grateful" that ever since Star Trek he has never had to worry about work
- George Lucas "did us a favor" as Star Wars "put Star Trek back into production"
- On Star Trek: The Motion Picture, director Robert Wise wanted it to be big and grand like 2001, focusing on long shots of the ships and the characters ended up "Just like passengers"
- Does Shatner impression of the "Of all the souls…" Kirk eulogy from Star Trek II (Pt. 1)
- On directing Star Trek III, he was impressed with Nick Meyer’s Star Trek II, but "felt jealous" and that he knew Star Trek and used his "leverage" to get directed gig for III
- Only agreed to direct Star Trek IV after Jeff Katzenberg agreed to let him make "his" Star Trek movie and "take the training wheels off"
- On trying to get Eddie Murphy into Star Trek IV "we kept working on it, but it just didn’t work, it felt like an implant", Murphy was going going to play radio talk show host who believed in UFO’s and was trying to find the crew
- "One big regret" on Star Trek VI was it never met goal finding out more about Klingons and "what makes them so angry", felt "got certain level of it, but not to the heart of it"
- On Next Generation: "I was happy to see it go on, I didn’t watch a lot of it, I thought there was a lot of good work done, good talented people."
- Said he would only direct Star Trek Generations, if Paramount agreed to let him work on major rewrite, which they didn’t agree to so he didn’t do it
On Star Trek 2009
- On Abrams, Orci, & Kurtzman: "they really got it" and "they treated me very well, whenever I arrived they were appropriately in awe"
- One of the reasons he agreed to return to Star Trek 2009 was that he didn’t feel he had "closure" for the Spock character and got "teared up" after hearing Orci, Kurtzman and Abrams talk about their approach
- On first reaction to Zachary Quinto: "He looks enough like me to make it work, but more importantly he has some brains, you can see some thinking"
- On Star Trek 2009: "I thought the movie was terrific. I thought they gave me interesting stuff to play as Spock. I thought they handled the whole Spock story extremely well."
- Nimoy didn’t like the work in his first episodes in Fringe and was resistant to return this season, felt he was just their for exposition.
- Took JJ Abrams to call to get him to return to Fringe, and was now "glad" he did it, and happy that William Bell "went out in a blaze of glory saving everybody, like Spock did at the end of Star Trek II."
Here is the entire video in 8 parts (via bdbdb)
Big thanks to YouTuber bdbdb