Check Out This Cool Vulcan Hoody

A young Brazilian designer has come up with a clever design for a hoody that lets you show your Star Trek love. Check the Vulcan Saluting Hoody below.

Vulcan Salute Hoody

Designer Paulo Bruno has come up with a clever design for a hoody called "Traditional Greeting" that converts non-Trek to a Trek-design, as seen below.

Zipped up it is just a hoody with a big hand

Zip it down and show your Trek love

The hoodies are based on a standard black American Apparel hoody and come in various sizes for $40. You can order them at Threadless.com.

Drij
September 14, 2010 7:08 pm

That’s one I might actually buy.

llap
September 14, 2010 7:18 pm

thanks for deleting my comment i have now seen the error of my ways and shall never again attempt to express my opinion

September 14, 2010 7:28 pm

your comment was autodeleted due to profanity…perhaps try again without the profanity

njdss4
September 14, 2010 7:36 pm

That’s a very creative way to make a LLAP hoodie. I’d get one if I didn’t live in an area where it never drops below 70 degrees.

Chelsea
September 14, 2010 7:44 pm

Unzipping it turns you into a guy? O_o

Haha anyways, isn’t the thumb supposed to be down, not up agains your hand?

Either way, it’s pretty sweet. XD

Michelle
September 14, 2010 7:48 pm

Very clever! I really like it, though I’m not sure if I’m secure enough if my geekiness to advertise it like that.

llap
September 14, 2010 7:51 pm

I apologize for my indiscretion, perhaps I get a bit too emotional when I see the thumbs in the wrong place, even the official costumes make that error

VZX
September 14, 2010 8:03 pm

Cool? Um, I guess too cool for me, then.

Besides, I wouldn’t want a hoodie that would change my gender when I zip it down. And my hair. And give me glasses and a bowtie.

KJTrek
September 14, 2010 8:06 pm

I NEED ONE! Ooooooh…. LIVE LONG AND PROSPER.

trekboi
September 14, 2010 8:33 pm

want it

That One Guy
September 14, 2010 9:10 pm

I so want it.

Pat Payne
September 14, 2010 9:26 pm

@8: “Bowties are cool.” :)

Gilberto
September 14, 2010 10:10 pm

Only a brazilian (by the way, like me) would spend so much time in designing such a worthless “piece of art” like that! Go ahead and do something for the needy and poor of this world! Create a real food synthesizer as we see in Star Trek, for goodness sake! Love to all.

Zinc Saucier
September 15, 2010 12:19 am

It’s clever, but I don’t think I’d wear it. Just not my style. Besides the thumb being in the wrong position completely ruins it. If you’re going to show yourself off as being that big a geek you have to at least get the details right.

Markonian
September 15, 2010 1:37 am

What’s the problem with the thumb? It looks like an anatomically correct depiction of a hand. Is there something. Or is it?

BTW, his hoody is extremely cool, Imho

SMizmack
September 15, 2010 5:21 am

the thumb on the hoodie is far less offensive than the thumb on the model. Or the rampant stereotyping of Trekkies/Trekkers/Trek Enthusiasts/Whatever Else We Call Ourselves as a glasses-wearing geek.

Oh well… nothing I’ll buy as it’s another piece of Trek apparel that doesn’t cater to the larger sized portion of the fandom.

(shakes head)

September 15, 2010 5:27 am

It’s using a stereotype to sell. The pretty girl model is showing the normal hand, the goofy/nerdy/trekkie guy is displaying the Vulcan sign.

Not fair. The same girl should have done both pics!

CarlG
September 15, 2010 6:11 am

@12: Yeah, but will it work with a fez, that’s the question!

@13: By that line of reasoning, Gene Roddenberry shouldn’t have wasted time and effort creating something as frivolous as a TV show , Anthony shouldn’t waste his considerable talents devoting a website to it, and you certainly shouldn’t be wasting time posting silly complaints on said website….

@7: I certainly hope you see the irony in flipping out over a bit of merchandising inspired by the frigging Vulcans.

SMizmack
September 15, 2010 6:47 am

Every time we start discussing merchandising, someone throws in the “why don’t we do good for someone else” instead card, or something to that effect. Just remember this while you eat your humble pie… for the great visionary Gene was, he was a money man too. He founded Lincoln Enterprises with Majel, had an artist create a Vulcan medallion, got it worked into an episode (the IDIC, from “Is There In Truth No Beauty?”) and they’ve been selling the damn things ever since.

Sebastian
September 15, 2010 6:55 am

Clever yes, but I’m not sure if I’d characterize it as ‘cool!’ ; D

It still might you beaten up in public school.

September 15, 2010 7:51 am

I need to get one of these. And anyone tries to beat me up (not that it happens at my age), Spock taught us all a trick to take someone down.

That One Guy
September 15, 2010 7:53 am

People are really nitpicking on this? Wow….

I’m a self-described nerd, and I didn’t notice the “stereotyping” until someone pointed it out. To me, it’s just a girl and a guy. I never noticed the guy as “nerdy.” Frankly, I found it rather awesome. If I saw that guy on the courtyard and he was wearing that, I would ask him where he got it and then I would buy one myself.

However, since I already know where it came from, I’d still give him a compliment.

paustin
September 15, 2010 8:18 am

now if they could just figure out how to raise only the middle finger than this will cover all my moods.

September 15, 2010 8:31 am

This is actually pretty nifty, but very different from what first came to mind when I heard “Vulcan Hoody”. I was expecting to find some pointy ears as part of the hood.

Buzz Cagney
September 15, 2010 8:54 am

Doesn’t that guy just look the very definition of heterosexual manliness in his though. I don’t think i’ll be getting one. I’m afraid I might look silly if I should ever get into an elevator with him in while we are both wearing them.

September 15, 2010 9:39 am

I’d suggest they could make that into jeans… but, there’d be six fingers.

ix9000
September 15, 2010 10:12 am

I’m with 22.

How can some us trekies, trekers whatever still be affraid to represent? Especialy us fans who are grown adults, do you really think that somone will approach you and make some negative comment? And if they do what is stoping you from telling them that you dont care if they “appreciate” Star Trek or not. I wear my Bones t-shirt and all i’ve got are compliments or “Who is Bones?” comments. And I dont think that the “thumb placement” is going to be a deal breaker either.

Thanks for listening

Desstruxion
September 15, 2010 10:44 am

pass.

Gracian
September 15, 2010 12:16 pm

Please, the thumb. :P

Daoud
September 16, 2010 8:50 am

The thumb must be placed OUT from the palm of the hand.

It’s a rabbinical hand shape representing the letter SHIN (which looks like a modern W, but is akin to S via the Romans rounding the Greek sigma Σ which like SHIN but rotated 90°, came from the Phoenician shin, W)

Maybe llap was just objecting to the person making the salute, not knowing SHIN about what he was doing. ;)

stephanie
September 16, 2010 1:16 pm
That One Guy
September 16, 2010 1:43 pm

I’m tired of having this dumped on by nitpicking nerds! I’m taking this to ComicCon!

Polly
September 17, 2010 9:17 am

It’s clever, but I would never buy it.

but only because its not my style. And because the thumb is wrong. And because I move around, and I doubt that the fingers would stay all perfect in that position all the time. For example one side of the hoodie could slip off your shoulder, which would make the hand look wrong. Or the zipper could slide too far down and make it look like some creepy split hand, and that would make it look really wrong. It would be too annoying trying to keep in place.

Naw, I’ll pass this time.

Smizmack