Star Trek: The Exhibition, the travel exhibit of Star Trek props, costumes, replicas and memorabilia, opens up next Sunday at the Louisville Science Center in Louisville, KY. Plus, Star Trek: Voyager’s Bob Picardo will be on hand for a special preview party next Saturday night. Details below.
ST: The Exhibition Opens Sunday in Louisville, KY – Preview w/ Bob Picardo Saturday
Star Trek: The Exhibition, featuring sets, costumes, priceless museum pieces and props from all five Star Trek television series and 11 Star Trek feature films opens January 23, 2011 at the Louisville Science Center. The object-based exhibition is divided into topic galleries emphasizing themes of science that the creators of Star Trek explored on screen. Themes include:
- Exploration, presenting a timeline of the Star Trek story, and including original models, costumes and props.
- Health Innovation, featuring a reproduced Starfleet medical center from Star Trek: The Next Generation, with patient beds, medical equipment, props and costumes used by actors on the shows. Authentic objects from Star Trek on display include Crusher’s Costume (from Star Trek: The Next Generation), Tri-Corder (used to scout unfamiliar areas and record technical data) and HypoSpray (Star Trek’s fictional version of today’s jet injector, a medical injecting syringe using a high-pressure narrow jet of injection liquid instead of a hypodermic needle to reduce the pain).
- Communication, featuring a reproduction of the Transporter Room that can be explored and stood upon. Actual objects from Star Trek include the Communicator, a hand-held communication device and later the Combadge; the Earpiece often used on the bridge; and costumes.
- Space Travel, featuring actual set pieces from Star Trek: The Next Generation and authentic Star Trek artifacts including costumes and Federation, Vulcan and Klingon ship models.
The Exhibit opens January 23 and will run until May 22, 2011 (9:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Sunday through Thursday; 9:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Friday and Saturday). Tickets are available online at www.LouisvilleScience.org or by calling (502) 561- 6100, ext. 6111. Tickets may also be purchased on-site during regular business hours. A Gallery Pass, which includes the Science Center’s permanent exhibits and Star Trek: The Exhibition: $18 for adults 13 and up, $14 for children 2 to 12 Entrance to the Exhibition is every half hour, starting at 9:30 a.m. daily.
There is also a special Star Trek: The Exhibition preview event next Saturday night, from 7 p.m. to midnight at the Louisville Science Center. The "Science with a Twist: An Evening Aboard The Enterprise" event is aimed to be a fundraising event for the Museum to help them "find new ways of making science fun and relevant for the community".
Robert Picardo, The Doctor in Star Trek: Voyager, will make a special appearance (Autographs will be available for $20 each).
There are various levels of tickets available [NOTE: You must be 21 or older to attend the Saturday Party]:
- Admiral, $2,500 (Check-in, 7:00 pm)
Ten (10) tickets to the event, including Power Hour Reception, VIP Lounge, reserved “home-base” table, strolling dinner, open bar, laser tag, entertainment, entrance to Star Trek: The Exhibition and valet parking.
- Captain, $250 (Check-in, 7:00 pm)
One (1) ticket to the event, including Power Hour Reception, VIP Lounge, reserved “home-base” table, strolling dinner, open bar, laser tag, entertainment, entrance to Star Trek: The Exhibition and valet parking.
- Commander, $100 (Check-in, 7:30 pm)
One (1) ticket to the event, including strolling dinner, open bar, laser tag, entertainment, entrance to Star Trek: The Exhibition and valet parking.
- Fan Club, starting at $25 (Check-in, 9:00 pm)
One (1) ticket to the event, including one complimentary Star Trek cocktail, light desserts, entrance to Star Trek: The Exhibition, and a cash bar. (extra cost for ticket to laser tag and/or Quantum Quest IMAX)
Here is video of Danielle Waller from the Louisville Science Center discussing Star Trek: The Exhibit and the preview party with WHAS11.