Leonard Nimoy Defends New Star Trek Movie Universe + Doesn’t Expect Sequel Return + more March 25, 2011by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Celebrity,Nimoy,Star Trek (2009 film),Star Trek Into Darkness , trackback
Tomorrow Leonard Nimoy turns 80, and in an extensive new interview the original Spock looks back at his time with Star Trek and more. In his involvement in JJ Abrams’ 2009 Star Trek film, Nimoy defending the creation of a new Star Trek universe, but also said he does not expect to be making any more appearances in it. That and more from Nimoy below.
Nimoy defends new Star Trek movie universe – says has "closure" for Spock
In his interview with the official Star Trek website, Leonard Nimoy talked about his life in and out of Star Trek over the last four decades and more. One of the more interesting bits came in a discussion about the sometimes controversial element of creating a new timeline for the 2009 Star Trek movie. Nimoy strongly endorsed it, saying the team really didn’t have a choice:
I think the alternate universe was necessary. I think it was a very solid idea and necessary because, although it broke canon in a certain kind of way, if they didn’t do the alternate universe, they would have broken canon in other ways. It was constricting. There was so much history to be dealt with that if they did not do the alternate universe it would have been so constricting and it would have been very, very difficult to tell an exciting story without stepping on some toes somewhere. So, by doing it this way, I think they gave themselves a new canvass to work with. I think it was a very wise idea.
Although he had a "great time" with the 2009 Star Trek film, he also feels it game him "a real good sense of closure". Therefore the actor says even if they "say please" he doesn’t plan to be back for the 2012 Star Trek film:
I’m really not expecting it to happen. I think I was useful in the last film and I think for me it really was the last film. I think the torch has been very successfully passed to a bunch of very talented young people, and not just Zachary, but Chris Pine and all of them. I think they’re very talented and will have a lot of fun, and I wish them well.
Nimoy happy with new timeline of "Star Trek" and ready to pass baton to Quinto
Nimoy on Spock smiles, unsung heroes, turning down 70s Trek TV series & more
- Is "fully recovered" from last year’s surgery and has returned to conventions as a "thank you" to the fans and a feeling of "obligation to be out there for them", but wont be "doing it indefinitely"
- Explains that Spock smiles in Star Trek pilot because it was "what the director told me to do"
- Lists Bjo Trimble, producer Bob Justman, producer/writer Gene Coon, and directors Joe Pevney and Marc Daniels as "unsung heroes" of Star Trek.
- Reveals Roddenberry offered deal to play Spock in 2out of every 11 episodes of 70’s Star Trek Phase II TV series, but turned down because "didn’t feel comfortable being hired on as a part-time player."
- Accepted idea of Spock dying in Star Trek II because he thought it would be final Trek film, found response "very touching"
- Was "very comfortable" as first time director of Star Trek III, but admits "Maybe, in retrospect, we might have found a better story or construct"
- Attributes success of Star Trek IV to making "big commitment" to developing story and having "more freedom"
- Thought Star Trek VI "served its purpose" as final TOS film but felt exploration of Klingon culture was not "realized" enough – hoped would find out something about the Klingons that would surprise us all"
- Came up with idea of appearing in Star Trek: The Next Generation to make a "connection to the Star Trek films"
- Most prized Star Trek item is pair of ear tips wore the last of original Star Trek.
- Says big difference between himself and friend Shatner is Bill’s need to "be working, working, working, working, working."
- Hopes to "stay creative" in the future life but will keep personal life "at the forefront"
Nimoy just following director’s orders to smile in Star Trek pilot