Doctor Who
jump to navigation

UPDATED: Simon Pegg Wins Comedy Movie Award + Wants “Green Woman” In Star Trek Sequel May 11, 2011

by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Books,Celebrity,ST09 Cast,Star Trek Into Darkness , trackback

UPDATED: Star Trek’s new Scotty Simon Pegg won the Best Comedy Movie Award tonight at the UK’s National Movie Awards. At the show Pegg offered a suggestion for what he would like Scotty to get up to in the Star Trek sequel. In other Pegg news, Simon’s memoir “Nerd Do Well” is now available for pre-order in the US and he is coming to the states next month for a mini-book signing tour. Details below.

UPDATE: What does Pegg want for Scotty in Star Trek sequel? – It involves an Orion

Here is a video interview (from Absolute Radio) with Simon on the red carpet at the National Movie Awards. At the end of the interview Pegg again says he knows nothing about the Star Trek sequel, but he does offer a request for what he would like for Scotty – "have sex with a green woman."

original article

Simon Pegg Wins UK National Movie Awards

Tonight (Wednesday May 11) Simon Pegg’s movie Paul won the Best Comedy Movie Award at the UK’s National Movie Awards, held at Wembley Stadium in London. The National Movie Awards are based on popular vote and the sci-fi comedy Paul beat out Due Date, Just Go With It, and Little Fockers. Pegg shared the award with his co-writer and co-star for the movie, Nick Frost. Here are photos from the event.

Pegg and Frost with their National Movie Award – London, May 11, 2011 (Photo: WireImage)

Simon Pegg on the red carpet at National Movie Awards – London, May 11, 2011 (Photo: WireImage)

Pegg also just sent out a tweet (with photo) celebrating the joyous occasion:

Pegg Coming To US For Nerd Do Well Book Tour in June

Simon Pegg’s memoir "Nerd Do Well: A Small Boy’s Journey to Becoming a Big Kid" is being released in the US on  June 9th. Here is the official description:

The unique life story of one of the most talented and inventive comedians, star of Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz, and Star Trek.

Zombies in North London, death cults in the West Country, the engineering deck of the Enterprise: actor, comedian, writer and self-proclaimed supergeek Simon Pegg has been ploughing some bizarre furrows in recent times. Having landed on the U.S. movie scene in the surprise cult hit Shaun of the Dead, his enduring appeal and rise to movie star with a dedicated following has been mercurial, meteoric, megatronic, but mostly just plain great.

From his childhood (and subsequently adult) obsession with science fiction, his enduring friendship with Nick Frost, and his forays into stand-up comedy which began with his regular Monday morning slot in front of his twelve-year-old classmates, Simon has always had a severe and dangerous case of the funnies.

Whether recounting his experience working as a lifeguard at the city pool, going to Comic-Con for the first time and confessing to Carrie Fisher that he used to kiss her picture every night before he went to sleep, or meeting and working with heroes that include Peter Jackson, Kevin Smith, and Quentin Tarantino, Pegg offers a hilarious look at the journey to becoming an international superstar, dotted with a cast of memorable characters, and you’re rooting for him all the way.

"Nerd Do Well" It is available now for pre-order at Amazon.com.

Here is a brief video of Simon explaining what Nerd Do Well is all about.

Pegg is doing a mini book tour for Nerd Do Well, with stops in three cities (via peggster.net):

NEW YORK, NY
STRAND BOOKSTORE, 828 Broadway, Fl 3, New York, NY 10003
Monday, June 13 – 7:00 PM – author event. Talk/Signing

AUSTIN, TX
BOOKPEOPLE, 603 North Lamar Blvd., Austin, TX 78703
Wednesday, June 15 – 7:00 PM – bookstore.

LOS ANGELES, CA
BARNES & NOBLE #2089, The Grove, 189 The Grove Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90036
Friday, June 17 – 7:00 PM – bookstore. Talk/Signing

Simon Pegg coming to the USA for mini book tour for "Nerd Do Well" (Photo: Peggster)

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
I'm Dead Jim!
May 11, 2011 1:37 pm

I must say that if they have to put Mudd in the ST sequel (god forbid) I hope they cast Nick Frost in the role.

THX-1138
May 11, 2011 1:45 pm
If they put Harry Mudd in the next movie it is truly time to abandon all hope. You’ve got to be kidding about Paul. That movie won an award? Ugh. I thought it was awful, and it’s limited run in the theater seemed to prove that I wasn’t alone with that assertion. Anyway, please oh please oh please don’t do the next NuTrek movie based on a TOS premise. Just write a really great original Star Trek story. Leave out any reference to it taking place in an AU so that I can ignore any sense of the “prime/not prime”… Read more »
Robman007
May 11, 2011 2:03 pm
THX-1138, I agree. New ideas wanted. I do find the idea that the new films are just “alternate” adventures to be highly annoying. A very angry Romulan got sucked back in time and changed how history played out. That in my book rebooted Star Trek, except for the tiny exception that Leonard Nimoy’s Spock is all that is remaining of the previous time line. Just think back…if an alternate universe was created anytime someone changed the past..then what was the point of countless episodes and a movie of Trek that dealt with having to repair an altered time line? Imagine… Read more »
trekker 5
May 11, 2011 2:16 pm

you go Simon Pegg!! I,(as a nerd) hope that you do well in anything you put your mind to!! (well,it did sound funny in my head!) I really am glad for him,hes awesome!! :) :)

Dee - lvs moon' surface
May 11, 2011 3:42 pm

Congrats for the award, Simon Pegg!

And it has been a long time since Simon does not talk about Trek 2 … informations so illuminating! …. LOL …. +LOL

:-) :-)

Dee - lvs moon' surface
May 11, 2011 4:15 pm

UPDATE:….HAHAHAHAHAAHAHAH!!!

:-) :-)

May 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Trekmovie: he does offer a request for what he would like for Scotty – “have sex with a green woman.”

Nice to know we have great expectations for women in the sequel.

Danpaine
May 11, 2011 5:36 pm

…and the new goofy slapstick version of Scotty speaks….

Mr. Doohan, you are missed.

gumtuu
May 11, 2011 6:10 pm

wasn’t the green woman Rachel Nichols last time?

I can see what he means. :)

trekker 5
May 11, 2011 6:53 pm

Too bad Green Woman #1 got shot to hell and back by Nero!

gingerly
May 11, 2011 6:59 pm

@1

What about casting Nick Frost as the Orion girl?? ;)

Keachick (rose pinenut)
May 11, 2011 7:09 pm

#7 That’s because the green woman wants to have sex with Scotty…

May 11, 2011 7:48 pm

Bahahah! Sick Dalek! Simon Pegg is the nerd community’s Jesus. I’m convinced of it.

sean
May 11, 2011 8:11 pm

Because I’m sure Simon is expressing a 100% serious opinion there.

Buzz Cagney
May 11, 2011 9:24 pm

Simon has a serious case of the funnies does he? Did he lose the case on a flight somewhere or what? He can be mildly amusing at best. In a teenager laughing at bodily functions kind of way. Seriously funny? Na.

Daoud
May 11, 2011 9:26 pm

A chance for Scotty to say…
“It’s… green!”

Chasco
May 11, 2011 10:54 pm

#8 Perfectly said!

Simon, pet: As played by Jimmy Doohan, Scotty was brave, loyal, brilliant, resourceful, authoritative, funny (when appropriate) AND (for some of us females anyway) sexy.

As played by you, he is none of these things.
Grow up!

Thorbury
May 12, 2011 12:29 am

Every time he opens his mouth, I lose a bit of respect for him.

Damnit, Simon – move back to England. Get away from these Hollywood vultures and go back to what you’re really good at – making Hot Fuzz and Shaun of the Dead-style movies.

Steve010877
May 12, 2011 1:31 am
#17 I think the blame needs to be given to the writers for your dislike of Scotty in the new era. Simon did not write the character. I’d love to know how Scotty could have been portrayed as “brave, loyal, brilliant and resourceful” based on the script he was working from. I love the movie but was disappointed with what Scotty was given to do. Also, why should Simon grow up? What makes people think they have the right to comment on the actor portraying the character? Please try to understand the difference between writer, character and actor before throwing… Read more »
trekker 5
May 12, 2011 3:07 am

#16,well,thats true! :)

Jai
May 12, 2011 4:33 am

As long as the writers remember what the “green woman” is actually supposed to be like.

“Enterprise”, for all its flaws, portrayed this very well in a couple of the show’s later episodes. Orion women are definitely not chirpy cheerleader types, and the strong (even addictive) effect they have on men in the fictional Trek universe isn’t purely due to their physical appearance either. Hopefully JJ, Bob Orci & co will take note, because unless they know something we don’t, this is another basic fact which isn’t supposed to be different in the “alternate universe”.

Desstruxion
May 12, 2011 7:36 am

@10. Hopefully she made it out in an escape pod.

rogue_alice
May 12, 2011 7:40 am

She made it out. You can see her in the last shots where Kirk is getting his comendation.

Bucky
May 12, 2011 11:25 am
Galia survived simply because she’s too hot to die. As for the Orion gal at the end of the film, it could have been the other Orion on the Enterprise who Kirk misunderstood for Galia (see deleted scenes). As for the disparity between the Orion girls on Enterprise using chemical manipulation for evil purposes and for Galia just being chipper, it’s quite simple she just toned it down and decided to be, y’know, not evil. Being a member of Starfleet and all. And she did mention bringing other guys back to her dorm, so I guess she didn’t quite turn… Read more »
May 12, 2011 11:35 am
Got to agree with #19, if you want a better Scotty character, petition the writers. Simon Pegg is quite capable of delivering a straight performance, he is a better actor than some people give him credit for. I was not too fond of how Scotty came across in the last ST film, but I don’t blame Simon Pegg for it. Ultimately, it is the writers and the director who dictate what ends up on the screen. My opinion of which movie gave us the most realistic versions of the characters? ST:TMP Why? Nothing was over the top, Back in ’79… Read more »
Michael Hall
May 12, 2011 12:32 pm

@ Daoud:

“A chance for Scotty to say…
“It’s… green!”

Thanks. That would be a wittier reference to the “prime universe” than any of the Easter Eggs laid in the 2009 movie.

sean
May 12, 2011 2:13 pm

I love TMP, but no one in that movie acts like a human being. Department store mannequins, maybe.

May 12, 2011 3:01 pm

I’d rather see M’ress than Gaila…. Yes. I picked the fury over the green.

Let Them Eat Plomeek Soup
May 12, 2011 6:11 pm

@28:

That I’ll have to agree with you on.

Jai
May 13, 2011 3:23 am
Bucky, re: #24 “As for the disparity between the Orion girls on Enterprise using chemical manipulation for evil purposes and for Galia just being chipper, it’s quite simple she just toned it down and decided to be, y’know, not evil. Being a member of Starfleet and all. And she did mention bringing other guys back to her dorm, so I guess she didn’t quite turn it all the way off, y’know what I mean?” Yes, I know what you mean ;) However, I got the impression that the Orion girls on Enterprise weren’t “evil”; the effect they had on men… Read more »
Jai
May 13, 2011 3:26 am

Mark Lynch, re: #25

“If you haven’t seen it, I fully recommend ST:TMP The Directors Edition.”

I haven’t seen The Director’s Edition but I’ve noticed that, like yourself, fans frequently recommend it. What is the difference between this version and the original theatrical version, and why is it better ?

(I’m aware that there are various brief explanations on Wikipedia etc, but I thought it would be better to hear it from you as the explanations elsewhere are quite vague).

Shadowcat
May 13, 2011 9:32 am

Congratulations to Simon Pegg and Nick Frost for “Paul” winning best comedy at the National Movie Awards. I saw “Paul” twice and really enjoyed it. The geek references were priceless.

I think Simon was joking about the “green women”. I follow him on Twitter and he is pretty funny. He has a very dry sense of humor.

#18: Simon lives in North London not Hollywood.

May 13, 2011 11:14 am

I thought Paul was alright, not as good as Shaun and Hot Fuzz. But Pegg and Frost gave good performances as always. I wouldn’t like Frost to appear in a Trek movie, it just be too obvious a reference to their partnership, Pegg was able to disappear into the role of Scotty like his other films but he couldn’t if Frost showed up.

Star Trek Sequel Fan Already
May 13, 2011 3:29 pm
Please, Mr. Orci, if you’re reading this: Do NOT put sex in the Star Trek sequel. The first one was great and clean enough. Do that again. The star trek you made was great because it was funny, had action, did justice to the original series, had great plot, AMAZING characters, and was clean….great for many ages and not dull at all. You don’t need sex to spice it up. Everything nowadays has that. Show the world that you can make a fantastic movie without sex. If Scotty is really wanting a love interest, I would recommend Mira Romaine’s character…I… Read more »
Rusty0918
May 13, 2011 4:07 pm

I agree, overdoing the sex path would be absurd. Too much of it will actually HURT the sequel.

Mira Romaine? Eh, I doubt that’s going to happen.

I could imagine that they’d put in some sex appeal stuff in the sequel, I don’t know how much.

To the others:
I wouldn’t put too much of a wager on Harry Mudd being in the sequel. I just don’t think it would fit. Khan though, it all depends on the angle it’s done.

Star Trek Sequel Fan Already
May 13, 2011 7:12 pm
#35 I agree with you on the Mira thing. I do doubt that it would happen. I don’t think I’d really want it to happen. I could just maybe see someone of that type with Scotty and not some random green woman. But leave all of that to the fan writers to dream. The movies should stick close to what Star Trek is about: the relationships of the characters (c’mon people, no slash) and their development as they encounter different obstacles that test them. It’s not a romance or anything so I would prefer that all of the characters remain… Read more »
May 14, 2011 5:11 am
#31 I’ll try to answer with what I remember. But I may not catch them all… * Opening and End credits were re-done. * Audio special effects were cleaned up and/or replaced. * Audio dialogue was cleaned up * Several effects shots which were storyboarded for the movie back in 77/78 but were not put in due to time and budget reasons, were created digitally and put into the film. For example, towards the end of the film, where V’ger is revealed and Kirk, etc. have to go onto the saucer and walk to V’ger. An entire sequence showing the… Read more »
May 14, 2011 5:22 am
#27 “I love TMP, but no one in that movie acts like a human being. Department store mannequins, maybe” My feeling after repeated viewings was that this is how trained astronauts should react in the face of the fantastic. Lets not forget, that at the essence, this is what all these people are. After all, during the Apollo 13 crisis, there was not one harsh word spoken between the command crew. Ron Howard fully acknowledges that the one scene where they have a brief argument, was completely made up to add some human drama and that the general public would… Read more »
Jai
May 15, 2011 8:48 am
Mark Lynch, re: #37 Thank you for very kindly taking the time out to explain that for me in such detail. TMP was already my favourite Trek movie, along with TWOK (even though they’re both very different films), so the director’s cut definitely sounds like it’s even better. And yes, your explanation has also made me want to check it out on DVD ;) re: #38 “My feeling after repeated viewings was that this is how trained astronauts should react in the face of the fantastic.” I agree. The crew may have been much more restrained compared to some of… Read more »
May 15, 2011 9:55 am

Glad you read it and enjoyed it… took me ages to type, not to mention dredging through my bad memory ;)

You nailed what I feel about TMP in your last two paragraphs. Especially the last one.

TBW
May 16, 2011 10:06 am

I firmly believe that, while TMP might be a realistic depiction of trained space professionals, it’s a complete abberation w/r/t the characters. The characters may not have been “over the top” in the show, but the performances sure were.

TrekMovie.com is represented by Gorilla Nation. Please contact Gorilla Nation for ad rates, packages and general advertising information.