Star Trek Online Season 5 Goes Live December 1, 2011by Anthony Pascale , Filed under: Star Trek Online , trackback
Today the massive multiplayer online game Star Trek Online has just been given another big update with the release of Season 5. The new update titled "Call To Arms" contains new missions for both the Federation and the Klingons along with a number of new features. This update is the last big revamp before next months transition to a free-to-play model. See below for more details.
Star Trek Online Season 5
Cryptic (now part of Perfect World) have launched their latest big update to the Star Trek Online MMORPG. The new update titled "Season 5: Call To Arms" has new features and new missions. Here are some highlights:
- New Duty Officer System allowing you to collect and trade crewmembers with other captains
- The Borg Advancement: new missions confronting the Borg armada as they advance on the Alpha Quadrant
- Klingon Gameplay Updates: New improvements for leveling up Klingon characters
- Skills Revamp: Updated way to choose how to specialize your captain
- Mission Revamp: More streamlined way to play through episode content.
- Lore Missions: New type of non-combat play in social zones testing your knowledge of the game’s lore
- Economy Restructuring: For the first time ever, this update is going to allow players to acquire Cryptic Points without having to spend money.
New Duty Officer System
The Borg are advancing in Season 5
More Klingon content for Season 5
The new changes have been running on the Tribble test server for a while and the folks at the STO Academy have put together a couple of videos showing some of the new features. (Note video from test server so there may be changes to final design)
For more details on Season 5 visit the official STO site.
Free To Play Coming January 17th
As reported earlier, Star Trek Online is transition to a new optional "free to play" model where there will be two choices on how to play the game: Gold member (subscription) and Silver member (free). While you can play the game for free with Silver, some options and features require purchase. See the F2P Matrix for more details.