Doctor Who

George Takei Calls For Star Trek/Star Wars Peace – And Twilight War

Recently a small Star Trek / Star Wars “feud” erupted online between William Shatner and Carrie Fisher. Now George Takei has entered himself into the feud in an effort to calm to the situation. His goal: to unite two fanbases against what he proclaims to be the real threat against science fiction. Watch the video over the jump.

George Takei: The Broker of Star Peace
First came Shatner’s online video in which he took several shots at Star Wars. Those comments prompted a response by Carrie Fisher, which in turn resulted in another online video from Shatner. Now, in an effort to bring peace between the two franchises, George Takei has taken to the Internet and posted his own video message. Hoping to bring the fans of both franchises together — as “Star Friends” — against a common threat to science fiction: the “Twilight” franchise:

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Baxter
December 12, 2011 6:55 pm

Here we go…

Trekkie626
December 12, 2011 7:06 pm

Could this always be the end of the Shat/Takei feud as well?
Man George is looking old.

Will_H
December 12, 2011 7:23 pm

George Takei being the voice of reason as always.

Sebastian S.
December 12, 2011 7:25 pm

Takei’s remark about Twilight was pretty hilarious … ;-D

ME
December 12, 2011 7:35 pm

Well as far as I am concerned George nailed it. This clears up the speculation on who the new villain will be in the next movie. It’s not Khan, it’s not the Klingons, it’s TWILIGHT!

Damien
December 12, 2011 7:38 pm

Well done George! Awesome.

kevin
December 12, 2011 7:51 pm

George looks old?! NO WAY! I didn’t think it was possible for a human, let alone a celebrity, to age!

why do people state the obvious? looking old is a part of life. I’m just glad he and the others are still around…well minus Kelley and Doohan, they obviously aged too much.

Anthony Thompson
December 12, 2011 8:03 pm

Your da man, George! Bravo!

Brendan
December 12, 2011 9:25 pm

Twilight, is so Takei

NCM
December 12, 2011 9:33 pm

Never been a Takei fan, but his piece was amusing and I think he looks great – in fact, it would seem odd if he weren’t “looking old.”

moauvian waoul - aka: seymour hiney
December 12, 2011 9:40 pm

:o

Bringbacktrekagain!
December 12, 2011 9:50 pm

All things considered, these actors still look great for their age groups, and well done George!

alt-Spock
December 12, 2011 10:05 pm

hahaha – good one Takei!

Jonboc
December 12, 2011 10:08 pm

…umm…George is old. And, like Shat, he looks great for his age. Do people really think they should still look the way they did in 1966?? Really??….sigh. Oh well, love the commentary on Twilight. so true…as far as Twilight goes, .if there isn’t a “zone” attached, I’m not interested.

Phil
December 12, 2011 10:27 pm

The enemy of my enemy is my friend……nah!!

Let Them Eat Plomeek Soup
December 12, 2011 10:48 pm

As a former Twi-hard i must say: WAY TO GO GEORGE!!!!

I prefer Takei’s abs over any sparkly vampires. Any day.

alphantrion
December 12, 2011 10:51 pm

I think he is darn right, we should all unite against “Twilight”. Enough with 12 year old girls.

December 12, 2011 11:31 pm

ei i love trek, but if you’re saying that i go against twilight, it’d spell no home cooking for me!

December 12, 2011 11:32 pm

“sorry honey! i didn’t mean to! it was takei’s fault!”

Chris M
December 13, 2011 3:34 am

haha, he makes a very good point. Twilight must be stopped!!!!

For the record I’ve always thought without Star Trek there could have been no Star Wars and without Stars Wars there would no longer be any Star Trek, they compliment each other so well!

December 13, 2011 3:44 am

Really. An online fued? Instead of TV shows or even cartoons?

Ah well.

Deflector Dish Guy
December 13, 2011 4:54 am

You know, when I first saw this headline, I feared this was going to be some sort of lame “hold hands and sing kum-by-ya” sort of video. But, I was wrong. Hilarious pwnage of the Twilight series!

Well done, George!

J.A.G.T.
December 13, 2011 5:00 am

Wow, Takei NOT being an instigator for once – well, that’s nice…

Royal Canadian Institute for the Mentally Insane
December 13, 2011 5:02 am

Like more than a few, I was so hoping for a “Captain Sulu” series back in the 90s after that nod in that VOY episode. It looked quite promising, and I think there’s a lot of story to tell in that era between STVI and the opening salvos of TNG. (and quite a bit of it covered in novel form)

Holger
December 13, 2011 5:13 am

LOL! I’m enjoying this silly battle of wits.

December 13, 2011 8:19 am

Go George!

Am I the only one thinking this whole spat-thing is just silly? It takes someone like GT to take the &^%$ out of the whole thing and put it in its place. Let’s get back to the things that really matter and leave the silly banter for the kids.

Whose with me?

Desstruxion
December 13, 2011 8:20 am

George having another “look at me!” moment.

SciFiGuy
December 13, 2011 8:20 am

I could not agree more. Twilight is the enemy as was Harry Potter!!

AJ
December 13, 2011 9:27 am

Apparently, film critic Roger Ebert is taking credit for nudging Takei to make amends between the two series:

December 13, 2011 10:12 am

That is actually a very balanced perspective. Sometimes when some lamo rubbish like Twilight comes along we acclimatize then accept it as normal.

Good on you Takei for bringing balance to the.. er… argument.

Battle-scarred Sciatica
December 13, 2011 11:49 am

@7

“they obviously aged too much”

ha ha ha ha ha ha ha

you caught me off guard with that one, Kevin.

i just nasal sprayed coffee all over my computer and nearly died choking!

brilliant mate!

Lord Garth, Formerly of Izar
December 13, 2011 11:54 am

Why don’t you guys put up George’s version of “White Christmas”???

Very festive

Keachick - rose pinenut
December 13, 2011 12:08 pm

Wow. What crappola! (sorry, just had to say it).

Lt. Bailey
December 13, 2011 12:57 pm

They could have used George on Nimbus III, the so-called Planet of Galactic Peace.

Spocko
December 13, 2011 1:15 pm

I think this concept would make a good futurama episode

December 13, 2011 1:36 pm

George Takei ROCKS. He is so classy, and so funny. Well said and done :)

Simpleton
December 13, 2011 2:04 pm

Bloody laughed my head at that. George is a class act. Loved him in I’m a celebrity get me out of here a few years ago. Would of loved the rumour that was going round that Mr Shatner was going in at the same time.

William Kirk
December 13, 2011 2:23 pm

Nice :-)

et
December 13, 2011 4:20 pm

Thanks, George, for being the man with the solid brass Quatloos to speak out against Twilight.

Keachick - rose pinenut
December 13, 2011 7:27 pm

What has Twilight got to do with the Star Trek/Star Wars franchises? If you have to diss on another kind of franchise and form of entertainment, then you have already lost. Dissing on Harry Potter movies doubles the loss for the losers.

VulcanFilmCritic
December 13, 2011 7:34 pm

George Takei has always been my favorite member of the “Gang of Four”
or “…Five.” I just wish he’d let go of the Grecian formula and let his hair go back to its natural gray color.
He’d really look statesmanlike then.

jimkirk
December 14, 2011 9:11 am

Shatner, Fisher, and Takei , my heroes of long ago, but their age is showing badly and they past their prime. Shatner has done nothing since Boston Legal.. it would be best for them to quietly retire.

Jason S.
December 14, 2011 12:04 pm

Can someone tell me what George did in Star Wars?!?!

Spock/Uhura Fan
December 14, 2011 12:34 pm

I just watched this. “Buffy, Blade, it’s up to you now.” Too funny. :-D

And think Takei looks good for his age. Same thing goes for Nimoy and Nichols.

Spock/Uhura Fan
December 14, 2011 12:43 pm

@40

I don’t think speaking badly about another franchise is right either, but I don’t thing that he was being mean, just having fun. Twilight isn’t science fiction anyway; it’s purely fantasy. Blade on the other hand has *some* science in it simply because he needs to have some kind of concoction that came out of a lab to keep him from needing to feed on others in order to live, plus a few other things. I always saw Buffy as fantasy as well, but better than Twilight.

That’s not to say that Twilight doesn’t have its merits if you are a teenager. I’ve seen the movies, and I can see how they would appeal to some teenage girls. They don’t have much substance, but I don’t think that was ever the point in the first place. I have never read the books, and will not read them. But, from the movies, it seemed like the initial writer (Stephanie Meyer) wrote about her own idea of the perfect man as a vampire and what it would be like to be with him. There’s nothing wrong with that, and many have found it entertaining.

So, there’s no threat to science fiction or Star Trek or Star Wars coming in the form of Twilight. None at all, and I think George knows that and he’s just pulling everyone’s leg. :-)

StephenH
December 14, 2011 12:44 pm

Two simple words to end this whole debate.

Doctor Who.

Enough said.

Daoud
December 14, 2011 2:12 pm

Doctor who?

Dom
December 14, 2011 4:14 pm

SHUT UP GEORGE!! ;)

T.'.
December 14, 2011 5:31 pm

Actually, we need another Vampiric bad-ass to take on the Twi-people, namely either Barlow (Salem’s Lot), Barnabas Collins (Dark Shadows), Lestat (he helped start this problem, he could finish it!) or maybe good even good old–

Vlad Tepesch the Impaler, anyone?

Please, don’t let this happen to Jungian archetypes. Only you can protect them.

CarlG
December 14, 2011 9:36 pm

@46: OK, we borrow the TARDIS, go back in time, kidnap Stephanie Meyer before she commits her literary atrocities, and leave her on a planet full of Daleks.

And there shall be much rejoicing. :)