7-Page Preview Of Star Trek Ongoing #6 + In May Series To Take On ‘Return of the Archons’

Tomorrow the sixth issue of the ongoing Star Trek comic books set in the new movie hits your local shop. This issue finishes up the new spin on the original episode "Operation: Annihilate!" See below to check out a 7-page preview. Plus we have details on what episode the series will be taking on in May (including a look at the the cover).

PREVIEW: Star Trek: Ongoing #6

(click to enlarge)

(click to enlarge)

In May Star Trek comics take on the Archons

For March and April the ongoing comics set in the new movie universe will be doing a new story about the Vulcans who survived he destruction of their planet (see Previews: Issue 7 & Issue 8). And for May, IDW has now announced details on where the series will go next. Issue 9 of the series (again written by Mike Johnson with art from Stephen Molnar) will be again taking on a classic episode. Here is the official synopsis:

The countdown to the next STAR TREK movie continues here in “The Return of the Archons!” Kirk, Spock and the crew search for a lost Starfleet ship that may hold clues to the future of the entire Federation. TREK writer/producer Roberto Orci oversees this latest chapter in the ongoing adventures of the starship Enterprise!

And here is the cover by Tim Bradstreet:

Star Trek Ongoing Comics Available To pre-order (and back order)

Star Trek comics can be ordered and pre-ordered from TFAW.com, and all are discounted. (Note: Issues 1-3 are no longer available).

Star Trek Ongoing
Star Trek Ongoing
Star Trek Ongoing

December January February
Star Trek Ongoing
Star Trek Ongoing
Star Trek Ongoing

March April May

If you can wait, the first volume compiling the first individual issues will be released on March 13th. You can pre-order it at Amazon.

Starfleet's Finest
February 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Woot! First!

Love the cover art!!

February 28, 2012 12:51 pm

Just ordered EVERYTHING!!!!

February 28, 2012 12:54 pm

#foaming at the mouth now

February 28, 2012 1:02 pm

Hey, the pictures seem to be broken.

February 28, 2012 1:07 pm

fixed link issue

February 28, 2012 1:09 pm

Hey BC could be George Kirk Jr., if he survives this issue :)

February 28, 2012 1:11 pm

Oooh! Spock in a sweeping back cloak! I hope so!

February 28, 2012 1:14 pm

Hmm…issues 7& 8 may be the key to the new movie.

February 28, 2012 1:35 pm

Return of the Archons was one the most whacked out and silly eps of TOS, in my opinion of course. Mindless people go crazy for an hour every day cuz a machine says so. And then Kirk destroys the machine. I still watch it, though.

But this comic actually looks better than the original. Is that blasphemous to state that?

Like #1 stated: that cover is awesome. I really dig the new Enterprise.

February 28, 2012 1:42 pm

Are you of the Body? When is Red Hour, anyway. That’s when we break out the red wine and toast to red matter! ;)

February 28, 2012 1:46 pm

This is an excellent series, so far. Can’t wait for the stand-alone Vulcan story.

February 28, 2012 1:51 pm

Just something very cool about the issue #9 cover!

February 28, 2012 1:54 pm

Almost makes you wonder if they even needed to reboot TOS on the big screen just do it in comic book form on a cheaper budget.

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire.
February 28, 2012 2:36 pm

This one looks really good. Can’t wait to read this one. I wonder when The Doomsday Machine will come out. Or is that in the new movie. Lol.

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire.
February 28, 2012 2:37 pm

Mirrior Mirrior will be good. An Alternate Reality Federation going to an Alternate Reality Terran Empire.

February 28, 2012 2:42 pm

Very nice artwork. While I see the fun in it, I really prefer to keep some memories as they are.

February 28, 2012 2:50 pm

#15: That hurts my head just thinking about it!

February 28, 2012 2:55 pm

“The future of the entire Federation?” I guess they’ve raised the stakes or something, huh?

February 28, 2012 3:07 pm

The art is getting better.

February 28, 2012 3:33 pm

It’d be kinda cool if Peter Kirk looked a little like Bobby Quin Rice from Phase 2. Or maybe I’m just too much about building bridges within what seems to be this fractured Trek fandom. All that said, I’m loving the ongoing series and definitely picking this up tomorrow from the comic shop.

February 28, 2012 3:34 pm

Does Tobias Richter know they “borrowed” that first panel from him?

February 28, 2012 3:39 pm

Love how Kirks brother looks like Thor.

John from Cincinnati
February 28, 2012 3:42 pm

These comics look pretty interesting. Too bad they aren’t made for the mass market. I’ve been trying to buy these since issue #1 and haven’t been able to get it online or in any stores.

February 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Love the covers, the re-imaginings, almost everything. They’re just too short and come about too infrequently.

Spock got draped early in the first half of the episode; I hope he gets to participate in the story beyond ‘AAARR!’ and ‘NNHAAAAAHH!’ I’ll know tomorrow!

February 28, 2012 3:57 pm

Is it strange that sometimes I like the new Enterprise design better in the comic book artwork than I did onscreen? Maybe I’ve just gotten used to it by now.

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire.
February 28, 2012 4:06 pm

#17. I know how you feel. But would be cool to read.

Rhett Coates
February 28, 2012 4:33 pm

Is it just me, or do the creatures in the [new] comic book version of “Operation: Annihilate!” appear similar to the face-huggers in ALIEN? Okay, maybe it’s just me. But those things, in that other film, were astonishingly frightening….

And yes, George S. Kirk DOES look a lot like “Thor” in the comic book, with his beard…. I actually like what the artists seem to have done: they’ve harkened back to TOS episode where W. Shatner actually played George Kirk (already dead), with just a slight alteration of hair color and an added ‘stache.” Plus that episode showed George Kirk UPSIDE DOWN, so it was somewhat more difficult to recognize Shatner in the dual role.

So, how about some speculative casting…? Would Chris Pine play George K. [with heavy beard, etc.] in a filmed episode of this comic book version of the story as a dual role, or would they get the same actor who played him in the movie’s deleted scenes (as well as the one with him hitch-hicking down the road when “Jimmy” stole the car)?

I think I like where they are taking the old stories: not bad. Not bad at all,

February 28, 2012 4:48 pm

#23: I don’t think Amazon has them (or at least doesn’t have all of them), but I don’t even read comics and I haven’t had a problem finding them same day as print. There are three comics stores within shouting distance of my house that have them new every month, plus comixology online, and digitally on my Kindle Fire.

So far the series has been mostly interesting. WNMHGB is one of my favorite original Trek stories, and I really liked the update.

I was always pretty fond of Return of the Archons, so I’m looking forward to that too.

February 28, 2012 4:53 pm

I’m still wondering why someone felt the need to give Scotty a sidekick. Is he the new C3PO with his R2D2?

February 28, 2012 5:57 pm

@29: Sure.. Scott = C3PO, Keenser = R2D2, and if you will, Kirk = Luke, Spock = Han, Uhura = Leia, McCoy = Obi-Wan… not sure where it goes from there. The Batch’s character = Garth Vader… hahaha.

Gooseneck Fan
February 28, 2012 5:59 pm

Ugh….they’ve got that Keenser in there!! UGH!!!! He’d better not be in the next movie….lol!!!

Gooseneck Fan
February 28, 2012 6:01 pm

I hope they do a Spock’s Brain issue set in the JJverse! LOL!!!

February 28, 2012 6:07 pm

@23: You could just buy the TPB of Star Trek Ongoing coming out this month. Also, TFAW has reprints of the first issues on sale if you want to buy them.

February 28, 2012 6:51 pm

@23: if you have an iPhone there’s a star trek comic app that lets you purchase the comics as soon as they’re out. That’s how I’ve been reading them.

Commodore Adams
February 28, 2012 7:26 pm

Hey Anthony….or anyone else who might be able to give some insight.

What ever happened to the ‘Red Shirt’ Contest which would feature the winners face on the redshirt of the Variant B cover for the Ongoing issue #5. I have been purchasing both the A and B covers for the Ongoing series and was surprised when I grabbed the last issue and the comic shop said they only received the A covers. Then I though “oh yea, the contest.”

I have contacted StarTrek.com as well as IDW Publishing a few times with ZERO responses.

I was wondering, if anyone knows, did the contest happen? Will the variant B cover for Issue 5 be released at all?

…But I am loving this series! Official canon or not (it is for me), as soon as Bob Orci said that it will tie the first and second movies together by following the crew throughout their mission, as well as dropping little hints here and there…I was sold!

Sebastian S.
February 28, 2012 7:44 pm

Wonder if Jim Kirk is going to call Sam “Johnny”…. ;-P

Looking forward to buying the first volume collection this March. I was originally dead-set against the idea of remaking episodes in the JJ verse, but now I have to admit that I’m honestly curious….

February 28, 2012 7:55 pm

John from Cincinnati
Every article we run on comics includes links to TFAW, who carry the star trek comics. They are at the bottom of the page above. You can pre order all the upcoming issues and pick up some back issues (the first three are gone). Also you can get the first TPB coming out in 3 weeks.

Commodore Adams
I will try and find out.

February 28, 2012 8:26 pm

Anyone else notice that in that second page, George Kirk looks more like Chris Hemsworth and by the fifth page, he looks more like Chris Pine? I appreciate that the artist does try to make George and Jim look related, but the art is varying somewhat.

kirk's girdle
February 28, 2012 8:28 pm

Gorn Born
February 28, 2012 8:59 pm

Has anybody picked up any plot threads (characters, conflicts, etc.) in the background of these stories that look like ithey might feed into the new movie? This element of the comic series was teased by Robert Orci when the comic series started. I guess that it could be so subtle or obscure that it might not become obvious until after the movie comes out what the connection was.

February 28, 2012 10:46 pm

Return of the Archons is one of the worst episodes from TOS. As a kid I never got to see it since the network playing the shows was owned by Pat Robertson. I guess it wasn’t Christian enough.

I am loving the comics though and #5 was the best one yet. The 45 day wait in between them has been rude.

February 29, 2012 12:37 am

Return of the Archons is great! It’s an interesting thesis about what happens to the human mind when it’s more base urges are surpressed artificically. Gene Roddenberry probably spoke from the heart, as he was in an unhappy marriage and had strong feelings for Majel (and apparently other women) that he felt he couldn’t or shouldn’t act on.

And you have a big brother society ruled by computer and a McCarthy-type level of snitching on each other. What’s not to like???

I’m loving these new comics, btw. Great stuff!

Just a thought, but could they bring back Chris Hemsworth as George? There’s no reason why he couldn’t look VERY, VERY similar to his Dad. Chris Pine looks very similar. It would be nice to have them both on screen together as they were both superb in ST09.

Spock/Uhura Admirer ;-)
February 29, 2012 1:59 am

How nice. It’s good to see that Derek Cho (Sulu) gets a cover. The only person that needs a bit of focus now is Chekov. I hope he doesn’t get overlooked, at least for the cover art, I mean.

February 29, 2012 4:04 am

I never really liked Return of the Archons. It was one of the TOS episodes which not even I saw as classic, but as pretty cheesy. However, the sort of gothic, horror comicbook cover promises that the comicbook will be even more cheesy instead of improving on one of the few TOS episodes which IMO are actually in need of improvement. Or have they mixed in elements from Catspaw? (Another cheeser)

February 29, 2012 4:08 am

Re 42: “What’s not to like???”

What I don’t like about it is that the good plot elements you have pointed out were sort of wasted by the cheesy execution of the episode.

February 29, 2012 5:21 am

I’m loving this comic right now! Hope it’ll continue for a long time!

@ Chris Doohan-PLEASE tell me you’re gonna be in the new movie! If not,who do we harass to get you in it,lol!

Have fun y’all! Keep Trekkin’! J-R!

February 29, 2012 5:22 am

“The Return of the Archons!”

Yeah! One of my favorite episodes. I believe it’s when the series really started to hit on all cylinders.

You will be….absorbed.

February 29, 2012 6:11 am

I haven’t seen any relationship development between K & S and Mc & S, in these comics. If Kirk suddenly starts acting as though he and Spock are friends, without this series showing any progression since Spock’s opening gesture–an offer to play chess in the 2nd issue–it’s going to seem inauthentic. Of course, it’s ‘just’ a comic, I suppose, but I hope we start to see movement toward that defining friendship. Of course, Mike will have to start writing dialog for Spock, or convey even more meaning from the tweaking of eyebrows.

February 29, 2012 6:41 am

@15 Mike, Mike, Mike. You’re missing Bob’s Big Opportunity. For the Mirror, Mirror redux… the nuCrew when they cross over at Halka (hope they stop for a Halkaburger, haha), they should cross into the *SAME* mirror universe. Because it’s a comic, we can buy that! This way, Bob gets a chance to cross nuTrek with mirrorTOS. That would ROCK our socks off! It also fits the MWI of QM so well, and TNG’s Parallels. Would Pine’s Kirk handle the mirror universe as well? How would Sulu react to a much more physically active Uhura–and how would she react to mirrorSpock!?!?! Damn that could be fun.

@31 You can hope for Bob Orci to craft “a very special and touching issue” just before the movie where Keenser is killed. I’d say in a remake of The Changeling. Also a golden opportunity to zap Uhura, and have her sadly forget her relationship with Spock….

February 29, 2012 7:16 am

Maybe Cumberbatch is playing Sam/Johnny in the next flick.