Jeri Ryan Talks Seven’s Arc And Corset ‘Breast Mounds’

Actress Jeri Ryan spent four years in the Delta Quadrant on Star Trek: Voyager. In a new interview the actress says she is happy about her time on the show and with the character, but she doesn’t miss her costume. She even goes into some detail on some her corset’s painful functionality.

Jeri Ryan talks Seven’s arc and corset ‘breast mound’

It’s been over a decade since Jeri Ryan and the USS Voyager returned from the Delta Quadrant, but people still want to talk to her about her time on Star Trek. In an interview with The Huffington Post, Ryan says that she (mostly) looks fondly on her time with Trek. She notes that her character, the Borg Seven of Nine, was "so nuanced and beautifully written" and she was pleased with the arc she took on the series:

Ryan: [Seven of Nine] was a great character to play. As an actor, that’s really a gift. She had a huge development arc — she didn’t even start out human! [Laughs.] That’s a lot of growth over four years.

However, the actress says she does not miss her skin tight space suit, and epsecially not the corsett underneath:

Ryan: Oh yeah. Apparently they don’t wear bras and underwear in space. It was a very elaborate undergarment. I have to say that Robert Blackman, the costume designer, is an absolute genius. That costume was a real feat in engineering, because the producers had said that they wanted it to look like skin, to be skin-regenerative fabric. For the breast mound, they wanted two individual breasts and they wanted it to hug every curve, like skin.

HP: Sorry, the breast mound?

Ryan: [Laughs.] Yep, that’s what they called it. The fabric naturally stretches from high point to high point, right? So he had to devise this construction, this corset. It also added to the mechanical non-human look of Seven.

Ryan as Seven of Nine – with her corset and its ‘breast mounds’

Ryan is currently a regular on the ABC procedural series Body of Proof, which aired its second season finale last night. However, while the show has high overall ratings, it has struggled capture viewers in the key younger demographic. Ryan complained to HuffPo about the ratings system, calling it "archaic," but she remains hopeful the show will get picked up for a third season.

Ryan in "Body of Proof" – no more need for a corset

More from Ryan at Huffington Post.

Michael Hall
April 11, 2012 5:48 pm

An awesomely attractive woman, and probably a better actress in the role of Seven than she is generally given credit for. Just acting around that ridiculous costume would have been a challenge for Meryl Streep.

Battle-scarred Sciatica
April 11, 2012 5:49 pm

Now there are some “entitties” that are NOT crystalline…..

possibly siliconilline?…..;)

April 11, 2012 5:49 pm

I find that interview to be very exciting ;-) ! Seven was actually a well-written character, though they were obviously trying to give her immense sex appeal, which they did quite admirably, I’ll gladly admit.

She and the doctor were the best characters in Voyager, if you ask me, but it wasn’t quite enough for me to rate the series highly on my list of Trek series. But Ryan always made the show watchable. You couldn’t take your eyes off her.

Battle-scarred Sciatica
April 11, 2012 5:52 pm

I have not seen Body of Proof.

I like Jeri and will try to catch it.

Sebastian S.
April 11, 2012 5:56 pm

Beautiful woman.
I think she looks better today than she did during her Seven of Nine days…

April 11, 2012 6:09 pm

I remember my crush on 7 of 9… I was like 7 or 9… lol

April 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Um, …. breast mound. I’m at a loss for words. Maybe Harry Ballz has something to say about this.

Captain Dan
April 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Jeri Ryan still looks great! I was excited she was coming to Voyager after seeing her star in the limited run series Dark Skies. She was pretty good in that too, and then Boston Public later on as well. I might have to watch some of her newer projects.

April 11, 2012 6:46 pm

Love her character on BoP, she did a great job looking like death in the two-parter that was on before the season/poss. series finale (hope not).

April 11, 2012 7:30 pm

Didn’t Montalban have breast mounds?

April 11, 2012 7:39 pm

Beautiful woman. I just think she should’ve been in a Starfleet uniform like the Maquis were.

Harry Ballz
April 11, 2012 7:51 pm

7. “breast mound….Maybe Harry Ballz has something to say about this”

Well, er…..(cough)….let’s see……..if I pitched her one of my pick-up lines, and she took the bait, then I would compare it to a baseball game….I can hear the commentary now…

“….the pitcher takes the mound….”

Dr. Cheis
April 11, 2012 8:08 pm

7’s outfit never really made sense to me, but I can understand why she couldn’t wear regular underwear with it. The lines from conventional undies would cling to the her outfit like a pair of Tiberian bats.

Let Them Eat Plomeek Soup
April 11, 2012 9:11 pm

Well, Sally Kellerman did decide while filming “The Cage” that women didn’t wear bras in the future. I guess she got it right.

No. He just had breasts.

April 11, 2012 9:27 pm

yeah that cat suit made no sense after about a year of “Regenearating” skin.
aside from the T&A factore for the straight fanboys

April 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Great actress, well developed character. Right, and we also read Playboy for it’s insightful articles. It’s not a slam on Ms. Ryan, but she was on the show as eye candy, nothing more.

April 11, 2012 9:49 pm

Say….isn’t there a new Trek movie being made? Those damn breast mounds are a bit distracting….

Harry Ballz
April 11, 2012 10:13 pm

Jeri Ryan’s breasts, at least when she was younger, could provide shade to a small child!

April 11, 2012 11:14 pm

Ha, ha, ha. Harry.

April 11, 2012 11:19 pm

@ 14

You mean while Ms. Kellerman was filming “Where No Man Has Gone Before” instead of “The Cage.” For a couple of reasons, I feel like watching that show again.

Harry Ballz
April 11, 2012 11:20 pm

I’m glad to see SOMEBODY got the joke!

April 12, 2012 12:07 am

I don’t know what she’s talking about, with the fabrics and the breast mound, but whatever it is, I know that want more of it.

April 12, 2012 1:22 am

She is beautiful.

mr. trek77
April 12, 2012 2:45 am

does that mean, that she where wearing such things in the episode with braxton & co., in the relativity episode???

Because she did´nt seem to wearing it, and seem more natural look in the episode.

In other word, I liked her in a starfleet costume, than her catsuit, and in normal clothing, in endgame and other episodes in the holodeck.

But very beautiful indeed :-)

April 12, 2012 2:52 am

Such a gorgeous lady. Seven actually had an interesting arc – probably the most interesting of all the characters in Voyager. Those costumes didn’t do Trek any favours though…..

April 12, 2012 3:23 am

Much prefer the non-mechanical, human look of Jeri.

Toupee or not Toupee, that is the question........
April 12, 2012 3:54 am

And they avoided Camel Toe with her outfît too, how clever was that?

April 12, 2012 4:12 am

She is so beautiful!! Her X husband is a morron!!

April 12, 2012 4:30 am

Can we get a video of how the suit was put on. Like the Spidey II DVD extras.

Robert H.
April 12, 2012 5:57 am

I commented once that if it were not for her age, how would she have done as She-Ra if they made a live action version?

April 12, 2012 6:12 am

#14: Since Sally Kellerman wasn’t in “The Cage,” that’s an interesting statement. :)

April 12, 2012 6:57 am

I will chime in and support any interview of this nature! Jeri is always a pleasure to see and hear from her.

April 12, 2012 8:04 am

It’s easy to assume from appearances that Seven is a tawdry gimmick, but the depth of her character has continuously surprised me as I make my way through Voyager for the first time. It’s a great arc.

Landru's cousin, Dandru
April 12, 2012 8:13 am

Jeri Ryan is a wonderful actor, and it’s great that she’s had so much success post-Voyager.

April 12, 2012 8:45 am

Ryan is great, its a shame her time on Voyager was made difficult thanks to Mulgrew

April 12, 2012 9:48 am

It’s awesome she gave credit to Robert Blackman. It would have been very easy for her to write it off as just ridiculous sex appeal whatever, but it was very cool to hear about all the engineering involved. Very gracious of her.

Captain Ucklak
April 12, 2012 9:54 am

I prefer Mounds over Almond Joy. ;-)

Captain of the USS Monte Carlo NCC-1986
April 12, 2012 9:57 am

beautiful woman. loved her then, love her now. lol

Red Dead Ryan
April 12, 2012 10:03 am

I really liked the silver catsuit. I thought it was space-agey. I didn’t like like other suits she wore. And I wish she did wear a Starfleet uniform once in a while. She could have alternated between that and the silver suit. It would have allowed the character to break free from the sex object stereotype, while keeping her sex appeal intact.

April 12, 2012 10:05 am

I am all for ridiculous sex appeal. Who doesn’t like pretty things to look at?

But I also liked the way 7 was written and portrayed. Jeri Ryan’s intelligence as an actress and person were obvious in her portrayal. Personally, I always thought that hers was a great example of how a beautiful actress could be allowed to look gorgeous and be complex and intelligent all at once. Voyager’s producers get too much flak about writing 7 of 9 into the show just to be a sex pot. I believe that they saw an opportunity in her as an actress to do just what I had mentioned: have a beautiful, intelligent, layered, complex character amongst the regulars of the crew.

I think my reiterative redundance has finally become repetitive again.

April 12, 2012 10:11 am

I was never a big fan of VOY, but I just watched the Scorpion two-parter again recently, and it was just as strong and kickass as I remembered (I would seriously put it up there with BOBW as one of the best Borg stories).

And Seven had tremendous presence in it as well. Unfortunately once they put her in that ridiculous catsuit it wasn’t long before her character became just as cheesy and generic as all the others.

mr. trek77
April 12, 2012 10:30 am

she was also HOT in Mad men.

mr. trek77
April 12, 2012 10:33 am

Wrong(often wrong soong) , sorry I meant two and a half men, mad men .

Bruce Banner
April 12, 2012 11:19 am

@39 Since she was not a member of Starfleet, it would have been inappropriate for her to wear the uniform. The Borg children Voyager encountered later wore similar clothing on the ship. 7 did wear a Starfleet uniform once when she was working undercover for Starfleet Intelligence, from the future.

April 12, 2012 11:27 am

Hey, lets not be making mountains out of mole hills now….wait, that didn’t come out right….

April 12, 2012 11:32 am

#14, #31…it was A New Hope!
George Lucas told Carie Fisher that there were no bras in space…
sorry to go starwars on ya!

April 12, 2012 11:35 am

So, yesterday I posted a link to this article on another story here on the site along with a question on how to submit links to your site. Did you answer my question? Did you say, “hey, thanks for the link”? No, you just deleted my comment. Well, you’re welcome.

April 12, 2012 11:42 am

Breast mound, so thats what they call it. It helped advance her career, so while she maintains it was uncomfortable she di put up with it and made it thru the rest of the series run. I agree with many other voices here, she did an excellent job portraying well the nuances of the character’s development.

April 12, 2012 12:01 pm

Let me be juvenile here: Jeri Ryan was and still is HOT. Quick – who do you take? Her or Jolene Blalock? I go with Jeri any day of the week.

April 12, 2012 12:19 pm

She. Is. Easy. On. The. Eyes.