Viral Site Asks Fans To Submit Star Trek-inspired Pix & Vids To Be ‘Chosen’

Back in December Paramount hid a url to the website in the first trailer for Star Trek Into Darkness. Since that time the site has been quiet until just moments ago it revamped with a request for fans to send in images and clips, promising a chance to be "one of the chosen few." More details below.

Are You The 1701 Lives

The viral site for Star Trek Into Darkness called was launched on December 17th (the day of the first teaser trailer). Now the site has finally woken up and is asking fans to post Instagram and Vine pic and vids "inspired by Star Trek or the future" with the #the1701 tag. The site teases "will you be one of the chosen few?"

There are no details on exactly what happens next but presumably 1701 fans will be chosen for something. What that something is is anyone’s guess at this point.

Comments for articles with spoilers allow discussion of spoilers in the comments section – but try to limit to spoilers discussed in the article.

Discussing potential spoilers not posted at and/or linking to other spoilers will result in deletion and instant ban.

Harry Ballz
April 24, 2013 6:01 pm

Boy, the threads are coming fast and furious here now, no?

Commodore Adams
April 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Yea, no kidding Ballz, but im lovin it.

April 24, 2013 6:06 pm

Ugh. I don’t have instagram or vine.

Luther Sloan
April 24, 2013 6:07 pm

Only US resident :(

Josh C.
April 24, 2013 6:08 pm

it’s just spinning for me…

Dr. Cheis
April 24, 2013 6:11 pm

Instagram… no thanks. Never even heard of Vine.

April 24, 2013 6:17 pm

Too bad this is only for North America.

Grand Marshal Skaldak
April 24, 2013 6:19 pm

We waited five months for that? -_-

Barney Fife
April 24, 2013 6:21 pm

Turn off any ad-block applications otherwise it’ll just spin like #5 says.

April 24, 2013 6:31 pm

Win something that is worth 2 bucks XD

April 24, 2013 6:38 pm

The lucky few get sealed into a time capsule.

Emperor Mike of the Alternate Empire
April 24, 2013 6:38 pm

You know Harry. This used to be a nice quiet place. Now.
It’s CRAZY!!!!.
But I do like it.

April 24, 2013 6:42 pm

lol I couldn’t resist. I definitely just set up an instagram account, put on my Starfleet Academy t-shirt, a TNG comm badge, and pulled out my First Contact-era phaser and submitted a picture. XD

I’m blaming the beers I had at the staff party at work… eh whatever, it was fun!

April 24, 2013 6:47 pm

Does anyone know how to submit a picture? I’ve been registered but I can’t figure it out. :/

April 24, 2013 6:50 pm

#14 Upload a photo on Instagram but make sure you put the hashtag #THE1701 in the description/caption box. That’s what I did and it seems to have worked.

April 24, 2013 7:07 pm

#15 Oh awesome, thank you. Guess it’s time for me to get an Instagram!

April 24, 2013 7:12 pm

#16 The sign up for Instagram is very easy and I was able to figure out how to use it without any problems at all. I’ll probably never use it for anything but this though. lol

April 24, 2013 7:18 pm

Ohh man. When are the American companies going to learn that there is more than just the people in their country??

WHY exactly is this limited to the US\Canada citizens? I understand if there’s a specific US location prize, but at that point you can offer it to the winner, if they can’t pay for flights, then it goes to a US person and you send the original winner something like a model\toy or something. simple.

April 24, 2013 8:03 pm

I don’t understand why entries must be via Instagram or Vine when they still must be posted to Twitter; my phone can take photos and videos perfectly well without using either app (which aren’t available on all smart phones, let alone all phones with cameras)…

This suggests to me they forgot about it and have very quickly rushed something out without thinking it through.

April 24, 2013 8:13 pm

Non International again… disappointing as usual.

April 24, 2013 8:17 pm

@boborci, is there no ARG this time around?

April 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Could be all the pictures, or at least qualifying pictures, will all be made into a large mosaic of the Enterprise.

Mad Mann
April 24, 2013 8:21 pm

Nice. I guess I’ll do the instagram thing…

Mad Mann
April 24, 2013 8:51 pm

Cool, I just did it and my pic is on the website! (mine’s the one with the dog paw, foot, and vulcan salute)

April 24, 2013 9:43 pm

18. Aren’t there UK etc. Trek contests we can’t take part in?

porthoses bitch
April 24, 2013 10:53 pm

I like this site…..It’s exciting again..

April 24, 2013 10:56 pm

I think it’s hysterical that Canadian winners have 5 minutes to solve a math problem without aid of a calculator?! What could that possibly be about?

April 24, 2013 11:35 pm

All I get is a spinny circle.. no pop-up blockers or anything… Tried multiple browsers, both mac and pc.. no dice.

Avro Arrow
April 24, 2013 11:55 pm

#27 Canadian law prohibits winning things in games of chance (except for gov’t lotteries, casinos, and charities). So Canadians have to answer a “skill testing question” so that it’s a game of “skill”, rather than chance.

But yeah, it’s probably a law we could get along without!

Juan Pablo - Argentina
April 25, 2013 2:19 am
April 25, 2013 3:23 am

@30 Juan Pablo Nice Spanish TV spot. At 32 seconds is too short for a trailer. Hello Keenser, this is clearly a kid friendly TV ad. Nice catch.

April 25, 2013 3:29 am

Love the bar scene with Keenser, even though it’s a short clip.

Theatre Historian Levi
April 25, 2013 4:02 am

30 thanks for posting the link tot Latinamercia tv spot.

I dont remember that big alien in the 9 min prolouge.
and whats up with Scotty’s lounge lizardish suit in the bar scene lol

Cool though getting so much so excited for May 14th

The Professor
April 25, 2013 4:02 am

The funny thing is that the chosen 1701 will win a prize whose value is $2.
I am not sure being one of the chosen is that special. I will still try to submit a pic today for fun. It is kind of cool to see ones pic on the web page.

April 25, 2013 4:20 am

Alice, what 5min math problem are you talking about?

April 25, 2013 4:26 am

Here’s a tip Paramount. If you are going to do a dumb ass promotion and keep it hush hush for so long. TELL PEOPLE WHETHER IT IS USA ONLY OR NOT EARLY ON. That way us UK residents won’t get the hump when they find they cannot win anything. What a crock. Sincerely one of those people that is sick of USA centric thinking. BTW your “World Series” sporting event is nothing of the sort.

April 25, 2013 6:20 am

#36. “Sincerely one of those people that is sick of USA centric thinking. ”

…says bardicjim, 2 days after Trek premieres in Australia…almost a month before it debuts in the U.S.!

April 25, 2013 6:22 am

What has a release date and a premiere got to do with marketing?

April 25, 2013 10:06 am

What gets me about this is that part of the sign-up process was stating what country you were in… Why have the option of the UK (+ everywhere else in the world that’s not the USA / Canada) if we’re not eligible to enter? Just to get my email, location, & date of birth so they can sell my details to marketing spammers? ¬_¬

April 25, 2013 12:19 pm

Exactly! What gives? What an omni-shambles.

April 25, 2013 3:21 pm

Have to mirror the sentiments of quite a few others here.

What was the point in having a sign up screen that accepted all countries other than just the US & Canada, then making us all wait in anticipation several months before revealing most of the world can’t take part?

It also feels like a bit of a let down – Months of waiting for a prize draw/sweep stake where each winner gets a prize worth $2. What does $2 get you? A postcard?

Where’s the puzzle, the intrigue and opportunity for group effort?

Have we missed something? Is this only the first part of a much bigger plan?

Ted C
April 25, 2013 5:47 pm

What is a “viral site”? Is that some kind of…oh I dont know….website? Or is that a special site to learn about things like the flu perhaps?

Cap'n Calhoun
April 25, 2013 5:56 pm

Although they seem to be hinting that you post a photo to win, according to the rules the only thing you have to do to enter is register, and there’s a limit of one entry per person/e-mail, so posting a photo doesn’t affect your odds of winning.

April 26, 2013 12:11 pm

The ship that crashes into the Bay is John Harrisons ship

April 30, 2013 1:27 pm

I know winners are supposedly going to be chosen randomly, but I’m glad I got a response from Bob Orci from my entry anyway.

“@BeyondtheTech: @boborci When you have to boldly go. @StarTrek #The1701” made me chuckle.”

May 1, 2013 10:41 am

I was chosen! Got my price overnighted to me apparently… It is a limited to 1701 version of the poster, a pair of Trek 3D glasses, and a link to watch the trailer in 3D tomorrow. Here is a quick pic-

May 1, 2013 10:54 am

me too, I just passed along some pics to Anthony. Lots of trekkies doing a happy dance today lol

May 1, 2013 11:32 am

Oh Yes I am doing the happy dance too!! There was a loud knock at my door, scared me because the dogs just went crazy- I looked out to see a tube at my door-

I was tickled to get the cool poster (limited version) the 3-D glasses with a delta shield on the sides and a invite to see a Star Trek 3-D trailer tomorrow!

Definately made my day lol- I usually don’t win these things, let alone a Star Trek contest!

#45- BeyondtheTech- An extra prize for you having Bob comment on your entry! :D

May 1, 2013 11:35 am

#45 BeyondtheTech–

I accidentally posted before I could tell you that you deserved to win with that picture!!! ROFLMBO!!!

May 1, 2013 12:11 pm

@beyondthetech that’s bloody awesome man! Bob never answers any of my tweets :( No offense taken though, if stars answered all their tweets they’d have no time to be stars lol