Star Trek Online finally debuts for Mac OS users

More than 4 years after it launched on Windows machines,  Cryptic Studios has finally released a Mac client for Star Trek Online.

From the press release:

Free-to-Play MMORPG Now Available For Mac Players
(Redwood City, CA) March 11, 2014 — Perfect World Entertainment Inc., Cryptic Studios, and TransGaming Inc. (TSX-V: TNG) are proud to announce that Star Trek Online, the award-winning free-to-play MMORPG, is now live on Mac. Players can choose their destiny and play as Federation, Klingon, or Romulan factions. Explore the galaxy, captain a starship, and engage in epic space and ground battles.

“Star Trek fans have been asking for Star Trek Online on Mac since we launched in 2010. Thanks to the tremendous success we’ve had with the game, we’re excited to be expanding the galaxy again.” said Cryptic Studios CTO & Executive Producer, Stephen D’Angelo. “We know there’s a large gaming community that thrives on Mac and we’re thrilled to finally be able to let them experience Star Trek Online. It simply looks amazing on Mac widescreens.”

star_trek_online-wide

“Perfect World has created Star Trek Online to be the ultimate sci-fi MMORPG, providing players with a rich and vibrant world true to the Star Trek franchise and we are thrilled to have it join the catalog of AAA games our technology has brought to Mac gamers globally,” said Vikas Gupta, CEO & President of TransGaming. “The richness and depth of the game are a direct result of the sophistication of the underlying code base and engine by Cryptic Studios, as well as the incredible amount of time that was invested in development. By utilizing TransGaming’s Cider technology to enable Star Trek Online, Perfect World has very effectively leveraged their investment to transcend platform boundaries and monetize the game on Mac without the need for any redevelopment.”

Star Trek Online is a free-to-play massively multiplayer online game where players can pioneer their own destiny as Captain of a Federation starship. Or they can become a Klingon Warlord and expand the Empire to the far reaches of the galaxy. With its latest expansion, Legacy of Romulus, players can work to rebuild the Romulan legacy as a member of the Romulan Republic. In Star Trek Online players have the opportunity to visit iconic locations from the popular Star Trek fiction, reach out to unexplored star systems and make contact with new alien species.

To download and play Star Trek Online today for free, and for more information about the Mac client, please visit the official website at: www.startrekonline.com

Star Trek Online is licensed by CBS Consumer Products.

® & © 2014 CBS Studios Inc. STAR TREK and related marks are trademarks of CBS Studios Inc. All Rights Reserved.

###

ABOUT PERFECT WORLD ENTERTAINMENT INC.
Perfect World Entertainment is a leading North American online games publisher specializing in immersive free-to-play MMORPGs. Founded in 2008, Perfect World Entertainment has published a number of popular titles, including Blacklight Retribution, Forsaken World, Perfect World International and Star Trek Online. The company works closely with its American development teams and partners such as Cryptic Studios, developer of the highly acclaimed MMORPG Dungeons & Dragons Neverwinter, and Runic Games, developer of the hit Torchlight series, to provide unparalleled quality of service and game experiences to its players. A subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ: PWRD), Perfect World Entertainment is headquartered in Silicon Valley, California. For more information, please visit: www.perfectworld.com

ABOUT CRYPTIC STUDIOS, INC.
Cryptic Studios, Inc. is a leading developer of online games committed to delivering the next level of gameplay. Cryptic Studios, Inc. develops AAA titles for PC and is rapidly diversifying its portfolio of games to expand beyond the traditional MMORPG genre. Its successfully launched titles include “Champions Online: Free for All,” “Star Trek Online” and “Dungeons & Dragons: Neverwinter.” Cryptic Studios, Inc., a subsidiary of Perfect World Co., Ltd. (NASDAQ: PWRD), is located in Los Gatos, CA.

ABOUT TRANSGAMING INC.
TransGaming Inc. (TSX-V: TNG) is the global leader in developing and delivering platform-defining social video game experiences to consumers around the world. From engineering essential technologies for the world’s leading companies, to engaging audiences with truly immersive interactive experiences, TransGaming fuels disruptive innovation across the entire spectrum of consumer technology. TransGaming’s core businesses span the digital distribution of games for Smart TVs, next-generation set-top boxes, and the connected living room, as well as technology licensing for cross-platform game enablement, software 3D graphics rendering, and parallel computing. Visit us at http://transgaming.com

March 11, 2014 6:58 pm

I´m glad Star Trek Online still lives! It´s a relief actually :)

LtPiper
March 11, 2014 7:04 pm

Finally!

LtPiper
March 11, 2014 7:05 pm

LOL and on my birthday!!!!

Chelsea
March 11, 2014 7:38 pm

Awesome! I’ve been wanting to play for a while now, but I didn’t want to bother with bootcamp. I’m eager to check it out!

LogicalLeopard
March 11, 2014 8:12 pm

Happy Birthday Piper!

I like this game, I go through spurts of playing. I like how obscure Trek references to pop up every now and again

Hat Rick
March 12, 2014 3:55 am

Good news: ST Online lives!

Bad news: Chris Pine has reportedly been arrested for DUI in New Zealand.

Cygnus-X1
March 12, 2014 4:45 am

6. Hat Rick – March 12, 2014

Bad news: Chris Pine has reportedly been arrested for DUI in New Zealand.

Oh, no.

Keachick’s gonna have a field day with this.

Mad Mann
March 12, 2014 8:25 am

Well, I can finally play it! I was tempted to buy a cheap PC to play this game, and now I don’t have to!

Yay!

Commodore Adams
March 12, 2014 10:17 am

Been playing the Mac Beta since November and am loving it. Still glitchy, hope they can work out the bugs, but its not enough to deter from playing the game. I was looking at getting a gaming PC to play this game and a few other, but that is put on the back burner for now. I have STO on my MacBook Pro and I can game on the go, loving it!

Mikey1091
March 12, 2014 10:25 am

Took long enough, I have several friends who have Macs and want this game, LOL!

I am not Herbert
March 12, 2014 10:57 am

yeah, i’m thinking: Chris Pine is good a playing guys who are d*cks…
…because he IS a d*ck =(

#NotMyCaptainKirk =(

Ctrl-Opt-Del
March 12, 2014 11:17 am

I’d be happy if it’d just work on my blasted Windows 8.1 PC… :-/

Phil
March 12, 2014 11:35 am

@8 What the hell?? There are some very visible celebrities on the ‘downward spiral’ list, but Pine isn’t one of them. He made a mistake, and that’s all.

Cygnus-X1
March 12, 2014 11:52 am

Yeah, I don’t think Chris Pine is the next Lindsay Lohan.

Ensign RedShirt
March 12, 2014 12:38 pm

8 – Mad Mann

Um, what evidence, besides this incident, do you have of Chris Pine being in a “downward spiral”?

Exaggerating just a bit, huh?

jas_montreal
March 12, 2014 3:38 pm

OH YEA !!!! I’m really happy about this port over to the Mac. Don’t need to switch to dumb Windows.

Side-Note to the chris pine discussions here: Even though I hate the new star trek…. We can avoid taking personal shots at the guy. Anyways, I’m still loving my DS9 dvd series :) I’m on season 2. Captain Sisko is soo awesome.

Mad Mann
March 12, 2014 7:08 pm

RenderedToast
March 12, 2014 8:09 pm

8 & 17

These comments were approved by a moderator?

Seriously Mad Mann… wtf?

scotchyscotchscotch
March 12, 2014 8:36 pm

absolutely LOVED playing STO but I had to stop, it’s too addicting.

Red Dead Ryan
March 12, 2014 10:25 pm

#8. Mad Mann,

“BTW: I think C. Pine is on a downward spiral lately. I just hope he stays alive long enough for the next Trek movie.”

Geez, you’re a compassionate guy (not!). So a movie is more important to you than the well-being of an actor? WTF???

Or maybe you get a kick out of seeing a famous person get themselves into (potentially life-threatening/ending) trouble?

“Even Lindsey Lohan had to start small. C Pine’s last movie bombed and I read a few articles on how Hollywood can’t figure out how to get him to be a leading actor. I think his 15 minutes are soon up.

Today it’s a DUI, tomorrow it could be DO…. ah well, I don’t want to go there. Too dark.”

Man, your glibness is pretty cold. Some of the worst statements I have ever read on this site. You’re a pathetic little Mann. Just pathetic.

Andrew
March 12, 2014 10:36 pm

From what i’ve read about the DUI, it doesn’t appear that Chris Pine is on a “downward spiral.” He made a mistake after celebrating.

STO rules
March 13, 2014 2:21 am

Can the customised races be racial stereotypes? If so, I’m in

Mad Mann
March 13, 2014 4:20 am

I’m sure Pine will be fine. I suppose my attempts at humor did not work. Sorry all. Just don’t call me pathetic. I am not.

Back to topic: For those that have played the game, which faction would you say has the most freedom? I want to go Klingon, but it looks like Starfleet has more to offer.

PhilD
March 13, 2014 12:02 pm

This is a nice bit of news on an otherwise shoddy day.

scotchyscotchscotch
March 13, 2014 1:02 pm

I made it to vice admiral level in Starfleet and tinkered with Klingon (Romulan wasn’t an option when I played). The prospect of being a Klingon is cool but for me personally, in the end it’s just too fun playing with Federation ships and storylines.

Mad Mann
March 13, 2014 3:07 pm

Thanks Scotchy

I guess I will just try it all! Romulan first….

Robert
March 13, 2014 6:23 pm

Great. Now if the devs will get started on the Linux port they’ll have my full attention.

Plum
March 15, 2014 7:52 am

Getting back ON TOPIC…

I went to the site, was redirected to the perfect world, arc, thing, then I downloaded the 45mg client and it doesn’t work.

Way ta go. Great launch.

March 15, 2014 2:02 pm

@28:
just download the game with Steam instead. (wait, actually i don’t know if Steam has the Mac Client… i guess its worth checking out though?)

…and i think we all hate the Arc integration.

Hat Rick
March 15, 2014 6:17 pm

In other Star Trek news, our own John Tenuto together with Maria Jose Tenuto will present two talks based on Star Trek! They are scheduled to speak on March 27 and April 19 in the Chicagoland area.

Hats off to the Tenutos!

CWA
March 17, 2014 6:48 am

This is NOT a Mac client!! It’s the same Windows client they have had but wrapped in Wine Windows emulators called Wineskin and Cider. This is about as much a Mac client as putting Pepsi in a Coca Cola can makes the beverage a Coca Cola. Unfortunately, it shows as it crashes constantly. Utter garbage!!

TNG_Trekman
March 20, 2014 11:47 pm

CWA

I’ve found that to be the case for me as well. It works 60-80% of the time, but it’s been giving me grief today! Glad I’m not the only one with the issue.