During Friday night’s opening ceremony for Destination Star Trek there were a few interesting tidbits about the future of Star Trek during some of the brief stage appearances of William Shatner, Karl Urban and Anthony Montgomery. Get the details below.
On Friday night Destination Star Trek 3 held an opening ceremony hosted by Jonathan Ross. The event had a number of the celebrities come out one at a time for Ross to ask them some brief questions, below are some of the highlights. Note that the DST PR staff were not allowing the press to take photographs for the opening ceremony, but our friends from the Trekkie Girls podcast and blog did get some phone shots which they shared with us (thanks girls).
Karl Urban: Star Trek 2016 Concept is Phenomenal + Shatner Sees CGI In His Future
Ross asked Karl Urban about the script for the new Star Trek movie and Urban said he had not read it, but he had heard some things. Here is what he said:
"I’m am going to meet with JJ [Abrams] in a couple of days and I’m looking forward to that. And the important thing is that it is going to be phenomenal. Based on what I hear of the concept, it’s going to rock and you guys are going to love it. "
Being that Karl Urban is probably the biggest Trek fan on the cast (with the possible exception of Simon Pegg) that news was met with thunderous applause by the crowd.
Another guest who was asked about the new movie was William Shatner, however as we reported earlier, Bill is now complying with the Bad Robot gag order. Ross prodded and prodded and Shatner shouted out “My lips are sealed!” He then joked a bit about the secrecy and Internet reports, saying:
I received a communication from JJ Abrams and he said "don’t tell anybody!" and I said "I won’t tell anybody." And the next day it was all over Twitter. And then he emailed me and said "thanks a lot!" and I said "It was the director [Roberto Orci] of the movie!" He said "we’ll fire the director." OK, no, no, no, he didn’t say that.
So it appears that even though it was Shatner who confirmed what was only an unsourced rumor at the time, he still seems to think that it was actually Roberto Orci who started it all.
Shatner then pondered the question "What are you going to do with Captain Kirk fifty years later?" And answering his own question a bit later he exclaimed "CGI! CGI"
Montgomery: Enterprise Season 5 Not Going To Happen
During his short time on stage, Ross asked Star Trek: Enterprise’s Anthony Montgomery about the notion of the show (cancelled after four seasons in 2005) returning in some form, possibly on Netflix. Montgomery said:
I keep hearing these stories about how a lot of you guys are trying to raise money to bring Enterprise back for Season 5. But, realistically, it’s never going to happen, as much as we would like it to…Paramount would have to say they made a mistake by taking it off the air. No one as part of a company has ever said to the world, they had made a mistake.
Quick on his feet, Ross actually cited Fox (presumably referring to bringing back Family Guy after it was cancelled). Montgomery stuck to his guns saying he wouldn’t hold his breath.
Much more to come
The opening ceremony was just a series of quick teases from the celebrities, who will be appearing at panels all weekend long. TrekMovie will be bringing highlights of those plus other reports and photos from around the con all weekend so stay tuned.
Our coverage so far: