RUMOR: Tony Todd on Shortlist for Star Trek All Access

tonytodd

Tony Todd, best known for his role in Candyman, said in a podcast interview yesterday that he is on “a very short list” to play a role in the upcoming Star Trek television* series.

Tony Todd was on the MORTIS horror-themed podcast yesterday to talk his role on Candyman and his involvement the recently sued Star Trek fan film, Axanar. When asked about Trek, he told MORTIS that he is currently on a short list to be cast in the upcoming 2017 television series:

CBS is doing their own series again. I’m on a very short list.

I’m on the short list for a couple [of shows]… They’re not going to even get official cast until probably the fourth quarter of the year. And then my only concern about it is that it’s gonna be this online thing. I don’t understand that part, but… You know, I’ve never done a series regular. I’ve always avoided it because I like playing different characters, but this is one year that we’re looking at some stuff, so I’m sure that we’re gonna be poppin’ up in everybody’s living room on something soon.

Trek fans may known Tony Todd mostly for his role as Worf’s brother Kurn and older Jake Sisko from DS9 The Visitor. He has come up again in the work of Trek for his recent involvement in the Axanar fan film, which is currently being sued by Paramount and CBS. Todd left the project before suit was brought and has been vocal about his lack of confidence in the project.

We are currently reaching out to Todd’s manager for comment, and we’ll update this post if we can confirm this and update it from rumor to news!

Listen to the MORTIS podcast here.

Vger23
February 24, 2016 4:55 pm

Marja
February 24, 2016 6:11 pm

How long have you been away, Vger? Nobody has done that for, like, a year.

Prodigal Son
February 24, 2016 6:46 pm

Maybe he/she’s been stuck in the Alpha quadrant?

Anthony Thompson
February 25, 2016 6:37 am

Or maybe he’s bringing back a grand tradition.

THX-1138
February 25, 2016 1:08 pm

It is a grand tradition in the same sense that wetting one’s short pants as an infant is a grand tradition.

Prodigal Son
February 26, 2016 10:14 pm

Anthony Thompson = funny

THX-1138 = clown

THX-1138
March 1, 2016 12:02 pm

Did I touch a nerve, PS?

Prodigal Son
February 26, 2016 10:13 pm

@ AT — LOL — I just got that!!!

Prodigal Son
February 24, 2016 5:17 pm

He’d be outstanding in a major role on this. Probably not Captain though, given he’s in his early 60’s. He’d make one hell of a Vulcan.

Marja
February 24, 2016 6:22 pm

Loved him as Kurn. And as Older Jake Sisko in “The Visitor.”

Looking in his 50s-60s, he’d have to be a pretty old Vulcan. We’ve never had a Vulcan as ship’s doctor, though. That would be cool.

Visitor1982
February 25, 2016 12:44 pm

Are you forgetting Dr. Selar?

Marja
February 26, 2016 11:51 am

Whoops yeah, but Selar was a secondary TNG character at the best of times. I wish they had featured her more. If she had been the doctor for Crusher’s year away, it would have been really nice. Suzi Plakson rocked as Selar and as K’ehylar!

Tiger
February 24, 2016 5:18 pm

Wow this gets better and better. I really hope Todd is on the show. Another former Trek star would be great. I suspect he will play a totally different character this time of course but I would love it if he was the captain. That would be super cool! But whatever he plays I’m good with it.

D\'Ger
February 24, 2016 5:31 pm

I would like to know what he means by “tell the truth” in regards to “Axanar”. We sure won’t hear it from Alec Peters.

Marja
February 24, 2016 6:09 pm

D\’Ger, I think that’s what he meant. Saying without saying that Peters is a scoundrel, perhaps.

Numenosium
February 25, 2016 5:01 am

That’s for sure. I inquired about what was going on & got the third degree & insults from Peters. HIGHLY unprofessional attitude. Major hole, that one.

THX-1138
February 25, 2016 1:09 pm

He does seem to come off as a bit of a dick.

Lostrod
February 28, 2016 6:12 pm

… or as a bit of a peter …

Chuckunit
February 26, 2016 11:58 am

Well, he is, or course, not a professional. He is fan capable enough to pull off a miracle, but he never bargained on having the full force of CBS come down on his neck. What could prepare ANYBODY for such a nightmare? I would be terrified. He may have treated you badly, N, but it probably comes from his situation than his soul. Dicks can’t pull in enough favors to pull off what he accomplished. The CBS suit has crushed his dream. That can scar anyone. Don’t take it personally, Num. You probably weren’t getting him at his best.

northstar
February 25, 2016 12:47 pm

He wanted 15000 USD per shooting day – in a fan film. He might get that in the official trek show – I wish him the best of luck for that.

Disinvited
February 25, 2016 5:30 pm

“We sure won’t hear it [the truth] from Alec Peters.” — D\’Ger

Well, if history is any indication, Buchwald vs Paramount demonstrated the court certainly didn’t get the truth from old Paramount.

Phil
February 24, 2016 5:32 pm

Well, this will fire up the old rumor mill about his time on Axanar.

Prodigal Son
February 24, 2016 5:35 pm

This time he gets to play with the big boys, instead of the wannabes.

Tiger
February 24, 2016 5:39 pm

What rumor is that exactly?

BTW love the new message board system TM! I dont need the likes/dislikes stuff but everything else goes a long way to more convenience writing on these boards.

Phil
February 24, 2016 7:19 pm

TT left Axanar on less then pleasant terms with the Great Ego of the Galaxy. It’s not hard to imagine that if it became known that Mr. Todd was in line for a paying Trek gig, that some ultimatums may have been made. That’s speculation on my part.

Tiger
February 24, 2016 8:58 pm

Ok fair enough. Honestly I know nothing about the Axanar project outside of watching the clip for it on Youtube and then the lawsuit stuff. Never heard of the guy who came up with it until the lawsuit. Anything beyond that I’ve only read on these boards about it.

Marja
February 24, 2016 11:10 pm

Wasn’t it a matter of the rate at which Peters promised Todd he would be paid?

*And/Or* Todd could have found out about some of the … odd … financial dealings going on and smelled a rat. Named Alex.
/End speculation /

Phil
February 25, 2016 9:24 am

The legal team Peters has hired has taken a defense of trying to bury Paramount in paper, asking them to list all (yeah, all) their CR’s and TM’s on Trek. Paramount ought to call their bluff and have them document relevance. We’ll see how long Peters reps continue pro bono at this rate.

TUP
February 25, 2016 6:44 am

I dont mind it though its a real pain when it’s a long/active thread. I find it easier to come back to a thread and go to the last post I read/wrote and continue from there. Now you’d have to scroll though the whole thing again if you want to see comments added to existing posts.

Disinvited
February 26, 2016 8:57 am

TUP, the link that pops up when you click on the “bowtie” on the top right hand corner of a message, whose replies that you wish to follow parents, can be Bookmarked or otherwise saved and when you go to it by clicking on it or entering it into the address bar, you will be directly transported to that message without having to wade through anything.else.

The Troubled Tribble
February 24, 2016 5:39 pm

Nooooooooooooooooooo.
He’s a terrible actor. The only thing he has going for him is that deep gravelly voice.
He would be a poor choice. They should go with unknowns.

Dandru
February 24, 2016 9:35 pm

How long have you been on drugs?

Numenosium
February 25, 2016 5:03 am

Clearly you’ve never watched the DS9 episode ‘The Visitor’.

Capt JW Amick
February 25, 2016 12:24 pm

Totally agree w/ you. I cannot watch that episode and not cry.

Chuckunit
February 26, 2016 12:06 pm

Dann right, Num!

Capt JW Amick
February 25, 2016 10:16 am

He’s great as Zoom on the Flash.

Tiger
February 25, 2016 2:13 pm

LOL Is that his voice??? Yeah it sounded familiar but wasn’t sure until you just brought it up. Thanks.

Disinvited
February 25, 2016 5:16 pm

FLASH most recent episode spoiler alert!
If recent events revealed on the show exposing just exactly who is under Zoom’s mask are any indication, I’d hazard a guess that Todd’s already gotten the new Trek series gig.

B Kramer
February 25, 2016 7:55 pm

I have to hand it to you: you actually beat prodigal mj on neg votes, so he can’t even claim that ‘victory’ he wished for.

Chuckunit
February 26, 2016 12:05 pm

I defy you to watch him in the DS9 episode, “The Visitor”, where he portrays an adult Jake Cisco and say that again. Its not only one of the best DS9 episodes; it a gem in the the entire treasure chest of ALL Star Trek.

BobZ
February 24, 2016 6:10 pm

Tony Todd is outstanding. I hope he is in the new series and we can all watch the a new Star Trek for a “dose of sanity.” :)

SciFiMetalGirl
February 24, 2016 6:13 pm

Oh boy, I can just see it now…. Capt Kurn of the IKS JJprise

Remember folks, you heard it here first! ;-)

tronic307
February 25, 2016 3:02 pm

That’s so ironic. Worf’s brother might get a Star Trek gig before he does.

Ahmed
February 24, 2016 6:21 pm

I like having a good actor like Todd with previous ties to Trek in the new series.

Todd: “And then my only concern about it is that it’s gonna be this online thing. I don’t understand that part

Perhaps CBS All Access needs to include an orientation package with the actors contract!

Smike
February 25, 2016 1:33 pm

It’s funny that he has no clue about internet TV. Reminds me of Bill Shatner admitting he couldn’t program his VHS recorder in the 80s. It’s a generational thing, I guess. In 20 years from now, classic TV will be obsolete…2032 according to Trek lore, if I’m not mistaken.

February 24, 2016 6:43 pm

Tap tap. This thing on?? OK, new to this kind of board. Back in my day, we kids used bedsheets and squirrel blood and we liked it. Would love to have TT in the new Trek. I’m not stomping my feet about Axanar. While it attracted top talent and looked great, there was no proof it was ever going to be more than cg space battles knit together by brief, confusing dialogue — like so many other fan projects. (There are certainly exceptions) I just want good stories. IDIC.

Pensive\'s Wetness
February 24, 2016 8:11 pm

It’s something new & shiny. Now to figure out how to NOT break it?

Pensive\'s Wetness
February 24, 2016 8:13 pm

Why does my name appear as ‘Pensive\’s Wetness’?

Marja
February 24, 2016 11:13 pm

I rhink it’s to do with the apostrophe in your name. Same thing happened to D’Ger above.

Disinvited
February 25, 2016 1:35 am

Digging around apparently this new system is WPDiscuZ:

The changelong indicates they are aware of the problem “Fixed Bug: Back-slashing issue with apostrophes and quotes” and working on fixes so it might eventually be remedied.

Prodigal Son
February 25, 2016 1:46 am

They are not sure if wet multiple beds, or just one bed?

THX-1138
February 25, 2016 1:04 pm

Yes, CmdrR, I remember the good old days of posting in urine. Gallant and proud days were those, having to remember what number you were in the comments and then having to read every damn thing to see if someone got your joke.
BTW, I saw that someone voted you down so I voted you up to bring you back to zero. That is what friends are for.

Chuckunit
February 26, 2016 12:09 pm

Um….isn’t killing small animals an early indicator sociopathy ;)

Pensive\'s Wetness
February 24, 2016 8:07 pm

So they finally did a new posting system (Interesting…)… I find it even more interesting that Mr. Todd no longer has interest in Axanar. Did he know see something he knew would be trouble?

Dandru
February 24, 2016 9:36 pm

Most likely, yeah. Peters is a scam artist, and those associated with Axanar are going to end up persona non grata with CBS and Paramount as a result. Tony Todd was wise to get out before the shyte hit the fan.

Captain Ransom
February 24, 2016 11:35 pm

Would love to see him bring Kurn back. Always thought it was lame how they got rid of him on DS9.

Disinvited
February 25, 2016 12:05 am

Over here at:

Prodigal Son claimed on February 24, 2016:

” You admit the screenplay is the key to this event. This completely contrasts to you be unable to provide ANY SCREENPLAY LINES WHATSOEVER that show that they sling-shotted around any other star by the sun. You, like I, immediately go to the screenplay to prove is a major action.” — Prodigal Son

Wait just a second, Nomad breath. It is not I who took your bait but you who have taken mine. “chakoteya.net” does NOT provide copies of the SCRIPT but TRANSCRIPTS of the on screen spoken dialog. Note I said:

“Movie quotes from the on screen transcript:

I said I quoted from the TRANSCRIPT and NOT the shooting SCRIPT as you erroneously assumed and asserted! I did not admit anything of the kind as you mistakenly claimed. I supplied transcripts of onscreen spoken lines and did not source any screenplay lines whatsoever.

On the contrary, it is you who have fallen for my bait because you are simply incapable of sustaining focus on a canon discussion.

Thank you for conclusively giving me the win. And I think I need some sort of debating award for successfully turning the tables on you.

Prodigal Son
February 25, 2016 1:43 am

Different thread, different discussion. That was all wrapped up on the other thread, an any case.

This is the Tony Todd thread. Perhaps you are confused?

Disinvited
February 25, 2016 5:05 pm

Don’t be obtuse and pretend to play dumb. We weren’t discussing the “RUMOR: Is Star Trek Leaving Amazon Prime, Netflix?” over there either.

Untill all get used to the new comment system, things move around. We adapt.

But fine, I’ll take your lack of response for the the transcript win. Thanks.

Prodigal Son
February 26, 2016 8:08 am

Nice try.

Dandru
February 25, 2016 8:37 am

What the heck does that have to do with this discussion?

Disinvited
February 25, 2016 5:04 pm

It has as much connection to this rumor as it did to the other. And as pertinent to news of Todd being on a short list for the new series casting call as “Peters is a scam artist…” and the query “How long have you been on drugs?” directed to The Troubled Tribble, does to evaluating Todd’s qualifications and likelihood to being on such.

Also, a new comment system has obviously recently been implemented, patience and tolerance while many are adapting to it is probably the wiser course for the next 90 days than looking for excuses to add to the irritations of modifying and adapting old habits.

Prodigal Son
February 26, 2016 8:06 am

LOL — this had ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with that other thread. Lay off that crack pipe.

Dandru == you were 100% correct in saying that.

Dandru
February 27, 2016 7:16 am

I know. And given the number of people who upvoted your comment and downvoted his, I’m happy to say that people seem to agree with you.

Dandru
February 27, 2016 7:15 am

How long have you been on drugs?

Alpha65
February 25, 2016 12:12 am

He could return as an older Jake Sisko! Just saying …he’s done it before.

LOFC_E
February 25, 2016 12:53 am

I think he would be a fantastic authority figure at Starfleet HQ.

quantum47
February 25, 2016 3:06 am

Hopefully he’ll be a Klingon.

Phil
February 25, 2016 9:30 am

I’m hoping he’ll be a Starfleet assassin. Or an accountant. Or President of the Federation. Or a farmer. Or Kirk’s second uncle.

jonboc
February 25, 2016 5:38 am

He would be a great asset to the new series, hope it comes to pass. Axanar is nothing but a footnote to me, but his decision to bail out of a sinking ship before it even hit the real iceberg is telling. And I don’t think he will be cast as a captain either, but I think he could easily play a much younger character on screen, I hate how so many shows cast cookie cutter Barbie and Ken types…it’s good for a series to have great character actors…actors with contrasting looks, textures and styles. Keeping my fingers crossed that he is onboard!

Matt B
February 25, 2016 5:46 am

I wonder how long the first season will be? i would guess about 12 or 14 episodes. TV has changed a lot since Enterprise left the air, and filler episodes are not a good idea. Every episode has to be top notch quality or people simply will not watch anymore, even if subsequent episodes are better..

Thorny
February 25, 2016 7:24 am

Probably 18-20. They’ll need a larger number of episodes to amortize the very high development costs. Trek will be a lot more expensive than “Man in the High Castle” or “Orange is the New Black”.

Ahmed
February 25, 2016 11:39 am

@Thorny,

I think the new Trek show will be 13 episodes since it will be streaming on CBS All Access, not on the network itself.

So far, most shows on streaming services like Netflix & Amazon are capped at 13 episodes. Marvel’s Daredevil which is on Netflix is 13 episodes long but Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D., another Marvel show but on ABC, is 22 episodes.

Thorny
February 25, 2016 2:19 pm

Very possible. But remember, “Daredevil” is dirt cheap compared to what Star Trek is going to cost.

Ahmed
February 25, 2016 3:24 pm

That’s true. It’d be interesting to see how much CBS is willing to spend on making a new Trek show. The first season of ‘The Expanse’ cost Syfy about $50 million according to some online reports.

Riker\'s Mailbox
February 25, 2016 10:28 am

Since CBS wants to bring in new viewers and not be bogged down in Trek canon, I predict he will be playing Rodek from the House of Noggra.

Smike
February 25, 2016 1:38 pm

The problem is: new viewers have no clue that Rodek, Son of Noggra isn’t a classic Star Trek character then! Being unfamiliiar with Trek lore, they will hold out for that TNG episode in which Noggra was killed by Worf! It doesn’t matter if you include new chracters or old ones. New fans won’t be able to tell the difference anyway! You just offend the old ones by missing out on the opportunity of featuring some cameos of recurring characters from the old shows!

Riker\'s Mailbox
February 26, 2016 9:43 am

I hear you. I was trying to make a joke about fans, like myself, who hope the new show follows with previous continuity, but realizes that it really can’t and shouldn’t. The duality. Bad joke.

Lt. Bailey
February 25, 2016 11:42 am

At least this sounds like there will be some familiarity to it or its starting to

THX-1138
February 25, 2016 12:59 pm

Yeah, Tony Todd and all on All Access (rather ironic name for something not everyone can get) Star Trek.

Anyway, WTF happened to Trekmovie? I like it! I can shut down responses!

February 25, 2016 1:31 pm

Oh please please PLEASE let this come to pass!

If Tony Todd is able to move me emotionally the way that he did in his portrayal of Jake Sisko in the classic [i]Deep Space Nine[/i] episode “The Visitor”, I will be a quivering mess by the end of season 1.

CaptainSheridan
February 25, 2016 1:56 pm

I’m torn. Tony Todd would be awesome as a leading actor on a new Trek show. But then again I like the idea of a clean slate with no former Trek actors involved. Start it completely fresh.

Phil
February 25, 2016 2:00 pm

A couple of guest spots, and a disaster trailer. The guy deserves a shot.

Thorny
February 25, 2016 2:17 pm

Mr. Todd is a decent, sometimes excellent actor, but I don’t see him as the lead. I figured CBS would be looking for a much bigger name to lead Star Trek, or at least someone well known from a current/recent hit, like Michael Weatherly or Timothy Olyphant.

Botany Bay
February 25, 2016 5:29 pm

I hope he is a star in the new series, he is a great actor.

TUP
February 26, 2016 7:50 am

I wouldnt say he is a “great” actor. He isnt winning an Oscar or Emmy anytime soon. He was good in his Star Trek roles, but usually didnt have to really step outside his presumed comfort zone.

I dont mind him being used. I do hope there are actors with more gravitas though.

TUP
February 26, 2016 7:53 am

With the Bad Robot guys involved, he’s probably playing Sarek.

Prodigal Son
February 26, 2016 8:14 am

Agreed. Why can’t they have more consistent casting like you practice? You’ve always played a diick-head here. You’ve been consistent about it and do not waver. It’s been impressive to see such consistent casting in action.

Phil
February 26, 2016 11:22 am

Why is that a problem? Why not play a relative of Kirk? Vulcans of color are established in Trek canon so it shouldn’t be an issue. Let me guess, you’d be thrilled to see him play a Klingon, too….

Chuckunit
February 26, 2016 11:49 am

This would be the end of a long time in the wilderness for very talented and capable Mr. Todd. He has had some rough times, physical pain and unfortunate baggage following him, but he has been a freight train of talent, still,a sought after working actor through all of it, now restored to us through his own hard work. His service to the franchise has made him a fan favorite. If “Axanar” is scuttled, one good thing may have come from it….his performance, as Admiral Ramirez may have just cinched a captain’s chair for him.

Lets hope they give John Hertzler and Kate Vernon a reading for some characters TBA. I’ve known John since 1982, and you will find no one kinder, harder working, and of higher character. I think his blue collar roots a and the loss of his father at far to young an age color his work, and his training, education, and experience give him the chops to go toe-to-toe with whatever challenge he takes on.

Thorny
February 26, 2016 12:40 pm

Nicholas Meyer is onboard Star Trek 2017 at Writer-Producer.!

Finnegan
February 26, 2016 12:53 pm

It’s great that Nicholas Meyer appears to be part of the new series. But, Kurtzman is involved? Doom!

pilotfred
February 27, 2016 9:29 am

good actor, he can turn his hand to most things,for me a flashback to when enterprise was being casted, once i know scott was i was like yeah this is the same

tracy
March 13, 2016 3:55 pm

Guys, guys – Tony Todd isn’t best known for the ancient ” Candy Man” movie. Instead, he’s best known to Trek lovers as Kurn, Son of Mogh, younger brother of Wharf! He was fantastic in this role in at least two episodes of Next Gen and one episode of DS9. He’s also friggin’ terrific in the Axanar fan films, too! Any time you can get Todd into a Trek project its a big, big win.