Well it is almost a year late, but Perpatual have finally launched the official site for their MMORPG Star Trek Online. StarTrekOnline.com does not have a lot of content (in fact it has less content then the subsite that was previously hosted a Perpetual.com), but it is sporting a whole new Starfleet emblem. Although games may not count as ‘canon’, the game is set a couple decades after Star Trek Nemesis so changes in uniforms and the emblem are to be expected. Although there isnt much to look at on the site, Executive Producer Daron Stinnett talked to WarCry Network this week and answered some questions about STO.
Here are some highlights from the interview:
- All transporting will be done ‘point to point’, no need to spend time finding a transporter room
- Although the Trek TV universe seems somewhat homogeneous, players will not be constrained in that way, game supports ‘player’s ability to individualize’
- Game will have both text chat and voice chat
- The holodeck will allow you to ‘go anywhere’ and offer ‘unique exploration, trade skills, and social opportunities‘
- Race line up has been locked down, will be revealed on teaser site (didn’t say when)
- Game will have an ‘economy’ with some form of money
- Foes will be both familiar races as well as ‘a new threat’
- Art direction will be ‘break free’ of the film and TV look, STO will be a ‘wholly new Star Trek experience’
- Will not start showing more screen shots until one year away from launch (so obviouly it is more than a year from now)
Stinnett offers this detailed example of how players balance life as a free roaming ‘avatar’ and being part of a ship:
The easiest way to explain the dynamic between your avatar and ship in MMORPG terms is to think of your ship as a mount that is an upgradeable combat platform. Early in one’s career, you will gain command your first small solo ship to freely navigate the galaxy. As you progress in your career and make alliances, you’ll gain access to bigger and better ships to upgrade in parallel to your avatar. And when players decide to group with others in space, the choice is yours, group as individual ships or crew together aboard a single ship. Our design is geared towards providing players with the freedom to choose his or her own path on a journey through the galaxy.
For the full interview, check out WarCry Network