Trekmovie.com broke the story a few weeks ago that Playmates Toys has the license to the new Star Trek film. Now, Ain’t It Cool News provides coverage from the German Toy Fair occurring this weekend, and their report gives specific costume and design details from the 2008 feature based on the prototype toys available. See below for a summary.
Here are the highlights of what was on display:
- 50! action figures
- Toys include: phaser toys, a transporter playset, a toy ship of the new Enterprise, plus ‘alien ship’
- The new Enterprise is similar to the television version, yet "more organic" and with larger nacelles
- The uniforms from the movie are nearly identical to the 1960s television show
- All have black trousers plus Kirk’s uniform is the iconic yellow, Scotty’s red, and Spock’s blue (but shade or two darker)
- Uhura has classic red communication mini-skirt, but was ‘sexier’
- Old Spock wears a white monk’s robe reminiscent of the 1980s movies
- The film phasers and communicators are ‘nearly identical’ to the television show, and the sounds are the same on the toy
- New transporter room playset has a red floor
- Alien spaceship toy resembles an octopus
Not only does the look of the designs sound exciting, but from a toy perspective it sounds like Playmates has a pretty good line up. This upcoming weekend is the New York Toy Fair. TrekMovie.com expects more news about the toys from the new feature film will be revealed. TrekMovie.com has correspondents headed to New York to cover the event so keep your browsers tuned to TrekMovie.com.
For more on Toy Fair Germany, see AICN