There may be no new Trek episodes coming out of CBS Paramount these days, but the fan community continue to take up the slack. This week we have news and exclusive images from the Hidden Frontier mini-series “Federation One” and new releases from Star Trek Odyssey and three different Trek audio dramas. Plus there is a bit of drama going on with Star Trek Phase II and the folks from RiffTrax. Oh…and Space Nazis.
New Voyages Gets RiffTraxed…Cawley not amused
The former Mystery Science Theater 3000 guys are still out there on the interweb, selling ‘Rifftrax’ of their witty repartee for various films (including a number of Trek features). This week they released a RiffTrax for the Star Trek Phase II (formerly New Voyages) episode “World Enough and Time,” featuring George Takei. Although it is a bit of an honor to be the first fan film to get the RiffTrax treatment, the format they are delivering it in doesn’t have STP2 producer James Cawley laughing. Rifftrax usually just sells audio files of their comic commentary, however for “World Enough and Time” they are selling the full video synced with their audio (see sample), which Cawley says is a violation of the agreement they have with Paramount for fan films to not make any money. Cawley tells TrekMovie.com he will be contacting Rifftrax and so hopefully this all gets sorted (RiffTrax are also planning on doing the Walter Koenig STP2 episode “To Serve All My Days”).
New Voyages/Phase II gets Rifftraxed
Federation One Images + New Odyssey Episode + Excelsior Ball
Hidden Frontier producer Rob Caves has sent TrekMovie a couple of exclusive preview images from their upcoming mini-series “Federation One,” which premieres later in the year. Also, Caves tells TrekMovie that the “Operation Beta Shield” mini-series (a collaboration with Starship Intrepid) is almost finished shooting and could be released as early as July. “Beta Shield” will have a preview at the 3rd annual Excelsior Ball, June 6-8th in Los Angeles. The event will host several fan-film screenings including new films from Star Trek: Intrepid, Star Trek: The Expedition as well as the Hidden Frontier family. Details at excelsiorball.com. Lastly, 4th episode of Star Trek Odyssey, “Vile Gods” is being released Sunday.
New Audio Episodes
The world of Star Trek fan productions is not limited to videos, there are also a number of audio productions out there. Most are like radio plays, complete with music and sound effects. In just the last week there have been three new episodes released:
- Star Trek: The Continuing Mission (set in the TOS movie era) has released their 2nd episode, “Integration.”
- Star Trek: Defiant (set in the DS9 era) has released their 24th episode, “The Far and Wondrous Distance, part 2.”
- Star Trek: Lost Frontier (set in the 25th century on the ‘Enterprise F’) has released their 9th episode, “By the Sword.”
In a future FanMade we will take a closer look at all the Star Trek audio productions.
You can also listen to fan made Trek
Star Wreck Team Find Space Nazis
No one does Space Nazis as well as Star Trek, but the Finnish team behind the Babylon 5 v Star Trek spoof “Star Wreck: In The Pirkinning” are giving it a shot with “Iron Sky,” a comedy about how Nazis have been living secretly on the Moon…and are coming back. This time they aren’t involving any Trek or B5, but where there are Space Nazis, Trek is there in spirit. Check out the official Iron Sky site, and the trailer.
Some quick links to news in the world of Fan productions
- Scottish based “Star Trek Intrepid” are out shooting a new episode and profiled on BBC.com.
- “Hidden Frontier” actors Brandon McConnell and Sharon Savene are interviewed at SyFy Portal.
- “Starship Farragut: The Animated Episodes” producer Michael Struck tells TrekMovie that they are still on track to release their first episode this year, and have just signed on veteran voice actor Vic Mignogna for some alien voices.
- Star Trek Of Gods and Men released their May Newsletter, but not much in it about OGAM except the note that they will announce the release date for Part 3 in their June Newsletter.