Due to this month being just chock full of William Shatner all over the TV dial, Trekmovie.com has decided to rename it ‘Shatcember.’ In the first of our Shatcember updates, we discuss the December 2nd premiere of Shatner’s new talk show Raw Nerve Bio, reveal the Biography Channel’s Shatner mini-marathon, and celebrate great Shatner interviews of the past.
Biography Channel and the Shat
Even before Raw Nerve begins, The Biography Channel has pulled out all the stops for Bill Shatner, including a brand new website and a day of Biography documentaries geared towards Shatner and his costars.
The new Raw Nerve website (biography.com/shatner) offers video previews of episodes, an episode guide, biographies of Shatner and his guests, a cool photography gallery including this new photo of Shatner and pal Leonard Nimoy, a discussion board, and email news. According to the site, "each episode Shatner will attempt to probe his guest’s most sensitive subjects and touch upon a Raw Nerve to explore life’s most intriguing questions and unearth his guests’ strange and unknown stories that are most surprising, revealing, funny, touching or bizarre."
Raw Nerve schedule for Shatcember
For the first two weeks of Raw Nerve, Biography is giving a double dose of the Shat, with back to back episodes. After that, the show settles in to a once a week format:
- December 2 10/9 C: Valerie Bertinelli
- December 2 10:30/9:30 C: Tim Allen (Trek Connection: Allen was the star of Galaxy Quest)
- December 9 10/9 C: Jenna Jameson
- December 9 10:30/9:30 C: Jimmy Kimmel
- December 16: 10/9 C: Kelsey Grammer (Trek Connection: Grammer played Captain Morgan Bateson in TNG episode "Cause and Effect")
- December 23 10/9 C: Judge Judy
More Shatner on Bio
That’s not all, as Biography is also airing a veritable Shatnercopia of Bill-themed programming to celebrate Raw Nerve. Some are repeats of Star Trek themed specials, such as Star Trek: Captain’s Log and the 30th Anniversary Special originally shown on UPN. Others are biography documentaries of Shatner and his costars. All times are Eastern and on the Biography Channel, and most shows are repeated during the week at various times. Check biography.com for reruns. Get those DVRs ready for:
- December 1st 10 AM: Biography Documentary: Heather Locklear
- December 1st 11 AM: Biography Documentary: William Shatner
- December 2nd 9 AM: Biography Documentary: Patrick Stewart
- December 2nd 10 AM: Star Trek 30 Year Special
- December 2nd 9 PM: Star Trek: Captain’s Log
Other Shatcember Programming
And if that isn’t enough, there is other Shatner programming on other channels (All times are Eastern):
- December 2nd 3 AM: The Land of the Free (HBOe)
- December 4th 6 AM: National Lampoon’s Loaded Weapon 1 (HBOe)
- December 6th 2 AM: Roast of William Shatner (Comedy Central)
- December 6th 9 PM and 11:30 PM: Miss Congeniality 2: Armed and Fabulous (BRAVO)
Raw Nerve review
Jeremy D. Bonfiglio’s "Remote Control" column for the South Bend Tribune offers the first review of "Raw Nerve" and is effusive in its praise.
William Shatner isn’t the first celebrity to become a talk-show host. Chevy Chase tried it. So did Whoopi Goldberg. But judging from an advanced copy of his Biography Channel series, Shatner puts all other celebrity hosts to shame.
Although the show’s marketing campaign suggests Shatner’s interview style will pinpoint and explore “a raw nerve” in each episode, in truth, Shatner comes across as witty, inquisitive and, ultimately, caring in the face of some of his guests’ deeply personal demons.
So, obviously Shatner is a better listener than an El Aurian!
Shatner: interviewer extraordinaire
To prepare for Raw Nerve, check out these videos of Shatner interviewing Nimoy and Avril Lavigne:
Shatner interviewing Nimoy from first eight minutes of "Mind Meld"
(you can order Mind Meld at the Shatner Store)
More Shat: Nimoy and Shatner summit last weekend
One of the future guests of Raw Nerve is Leonard Nimoy. Although the episode with Nimoy has yet to be scheduled, it is certainly the most anticipated of the interviews. As fans wait for the sitdown between the two, the paparazzi caught up with the two having lunch last weekend, as reported by the UK’s Daily Mail. Clearly the two are still friends (and ever shall be).
More Shatcember to come
Stay tuned for more Shatcember updates!