Last week Star Trek director JJ Abrams conducted a Q&A at a press event promoting the upcoming Star Trek DVD and Blu-ray releases. TrekMovie posted a partial transcript, which covered what JJ said, not related to the home video releases. Video from the event is now available online, which includes poritions related to the DVD and Blu-ray releases (which was previously under media embargo). Watch it below
JJ Abrams talking Star Trek and more
Video from the event is courtesy of Latino Review, which made an iPhone recording. Here is the full video (in 6 part playlist). NOTE: You will have to raise your volume.
Highlights (not covered in previous article):
- [part 1] Home video special feature crews filmed all aspects of film starting with pre-production, including many unsung heroes of the project
- [part 1] Victor Garber (Alias) played one of the Klingons from the cut sequences
- [part 2] Deleted scene will explain coincidences like Spock Prime and Kirk meeting in cave on Delta Vega, but Abrams think it didn’t need to be explained because it was fate of a "family that nothing will keep apart"
- [part 3] JJ’s notion of the ‘mystery box‘ was applied to opening of Star Trek with the mystery of who the Romulans were and why did they attack the Federation ship
- [part 4] The home video special features Abrams is most proud of are the ones that show the "personality of the actors" and the behind the scenes work from Roger Guyett & ILM, Scott Chambliss and other aspects of the production
Star Trek home video releases are coming November 17th. You can pre-order your copy or copies below.
|Star Trek 2009||3-disk set
3-disk set w/ replica
3-disk set w/ badges