We know the Star Trek sequel will released June 29, 2012, but Paramount has not announced a production schedule (or even a director). Scripting on the film has yet to start in earnest, but over the last few weeks actors from the first film have been dropping guesses for the production start. The latest to weigh in is the new Pike, Bruce Greenwood. Details below, plus TrekMovie asks the question: Should Pike be in the sequel?
Greenwood guesses shooting to start January 2011
Bruce Greenwood is one of the stars of the Steve Carell comedy Dinner for Schmucks, due out this Summer. JoBlo.com has just published a set visit report about the film, which includes this big from Greenwood on the Star Trek sequel:
Bruce was most assuredly asked about the next Star Trek, which he gave us this, ‘Yes there will be [a new Star Trek] and I gather January 2011 is when they’re gonna roll the cameras. That’s the last rumor I heard, but use me as a source at your own peril because I don’t really know.’
It should be noted that even though the set visit report was just released, it was conducted months ago. Dinner for Schmucks is currently in post-production, but set visit reports were just released from press embargo to coincide with the release of the trailer for the film (see below). In the last few weeks Simon Pegg guessed filming would start in by the end of 2010 and more recently Zoe Saldana suggested filming would start in early 2011. TrekMovie sources continue to indicate filming will most likely start around the Spring or early Summer of 2011, but nothing has yet be set in stone and the actors have not yet been asked to set the time aside. So Greenwood’s guess could be accurate, but as he noted, shouldn’t be taken as set in stone.
Greenwood guesses January 2011 as Star Trek sequel shooting start
Pike in sequel?
As the script has not yet been written, there is no guarantee that Greenwood will be in the sequel, although in one interview last year he told TrekMovie that he was "encouraged to think Pike would be returning". In the 2009 Star Trek film, Greenwood’s Pike played a pivotal role as a mentor to the young Kirk, and at the end of the film (in a wheelchair) he handed command of the USS Enterprise off to Kirk. At the Star Trek DVD party, Greenwood told TrekMovie that he would like to see Pike "on site" on the USS Enterprise (and not in the wheelchair). See it in the video below (Greenwood is last actor in the series).
POLL: So what do you think? Does the Star Trek sequel need more Pike?
The question of whether or not to include Greenwood’s Pike in the sequel is different than the question of including Leonard Nimoy’s Spock Prime. Although both played father-figure type roles in the first film, Greenwood’s Pike is still a member of Starfleet, and Admiral roles are often seen in Trek feature films (someone has to give Kirk his orders). Also, unlike Nimoy, Greenwood seems much more eager to suit back up (although less eager to get back into that chair).
So what do you think. Should Pike be in the sequel, and should they keep him in the chair?
Admiral Pike, last seen in a wheelchair, an homage to the TOS episode "The Menagerie"
Greenwood in Dinner for Schmucks
One Paramount production Greenwood definitely is in, is the comedy Dinner for Schmucks, starring Paul Rudd and Steven Carell. Pike plays the boss of a company that has a strange dinner tradition. The film comes out July 23rd, 2010. Check out the new trailer, which was just released yesterday.