Last night Star Trek’s original Sulu, George Takei, was the guest for the screening of Star Trek VI at the Royal Theater in West LA. George and I talked a lot about his long lobbying effort to get the Captain’s chair for Star Trek VI and how he wanted to get it back for a Sulu TV series. We also talked about John Cho’s new Sulu, his famous feud with William Shatner and more. See below for highlights from the event plus full video.
Takei: Captain Sulu to the rescue
- Takei talks about pitching getting Sulu a promotion to captain starting as early as the original series and continuing with lobbying producer Harve Bennett and Nick Meyer in 1982 for Star Trek II, but had given up by Star Trek V [diplomatically noting "the powers that be with that one"], but was happy when he saw script for Star Trek VI which opens with Captain Sulu
- Takei says he has three favorite Trek films: Star Trek II, IV, and VI, but VI is his "favorite favorite" because it has a "substantial message, but presented with suspense, action, heroic deeds, boldly going…it is relevant beyond its time"
- Takei notes how Sulu gets a key role at key dramatic moments and jokes that the subtitle for Star Trek VI should be "Captain Sulu to the Rescue!"
- Felt that Captain Sulu series was the "obvious" choice to follow Voyager, but "somebody at Paramount was dense" and they "did the very opposite thing Gene Roddenberry envisioned by going forward…and went backwards [with Enterprise]"
- Takei retold story about JJ Abrams was concerned about casting a Korean for Sulu in Star Trek (2009) and he re-assured Abrams by pointing out Roddenberry’s vision was for Sulu was to represent all of Asia, being named for the Sulu Sea instead of using a specific country-specific name
- Considers John Cho "a very good choice" for the new Sulu
- Also noted that he has been "impressed with" and "proud of" John Cho helping out with his activism and support for the No on Prop 8 campaign and his support of "equality of all"
- Of the ‘feud’ between him and Shatner, Takei said "this thing about feud is silliness" but then noted "it is primarily prompted by Bill" going on to recall the back and forth between the two in the media over the story that Takei didn’t invite Bill to his wedding (which Takei denies)
- Takei says he is willing to do a "bury the hatchet" type of summit with Shatner but not on Bill’s Raw Nerve show. Takei will only do it with a neutral moderator like Howard Stern "or even with you Tony" [referring to me!]. As of now there is no agreement.
(again thanks to my friend Jennifer aka bdbdb)
More videos from the Summer series:
Star Trek Summer Series At Royal Continues with TNG Films & Star Trek 2009
Due to the popular demand, Laemmle Theaters and Ledjer Film & Theater services will continue the series to include the four Next Generation films and the 2009 Star Trek movie. Guests are currently in the process of being arranged. The series starts next week with Star Trek: Generations with a QA& with composer Dennis McCarthy moderated by "Music of Star Trek" author Jeff Bond. The series will take a week off for the weekend of the Star Trek convention and pick up on August 14th with First Contact with special guest Branon Braga. I will will be moderating that and the other Q&A’s.
$10 general admission. $37.50 for a five-film ticket package.
Here is the current schedule.
|July 31||STAR TREK GENERATIONS||Dennis McCarthy
|August 14||STAR TREK FIRST CONTACT||Brannon Braga
|August 21||STAR TREK INSURRECTION||Guest TBA|
|August 28||STAR TREK NEMESIS||Wil Wheaton
(Wesley Crusher on TNG)
|September 4||STAR TREK (2009)||Guest TBA|
What: Star Trek Movie Series
When: Saturdays at midnight in July-September (see above schedule)
Where: Laemmle’s Royal Theatre is located at 11523 Santa Monica Blvd., Los Angeles, CA 90025, (310) 478-3836
Tickets: $10 for general admission. You can buy tickets at the box office or online at www.laemmle.com.