The MMORPG Star Trek Online got a big update today with the release of "Season 3: Genesis". Check out details and a video overview below. Also, Cryptic has also just launched their new Design The Next Enterprise Contest.
Star Trek Online Season 3 Online Now
Star Trek Online’s "Season Three: Genesis" went live today, and is downloaded automatically when you log in. The latest version offers a number of new features and content to Star Trek Online, but big things are: the "Foundry" player-created content engine, episode replays, new Borg tech for ships, and a new sector space. More info at the STO site Season 3 page. Here is a video from Atari and Cryptic featuring new Executive Producer Dan Stahl showing off the new stuff.
Design The Next Enterprise Contest Now Open
Cryptic/Atari also just launched their new "Design The Next Enterprise Contest" at www.startrekonline.com/enterprise. You don’t need to be a STO player to submit, just sign into the site and upload an image of your design. The winner gets their design into the game, plus they pick up an Alienware PC. The winning entry will be announced on April 1st.
All the designs can be viewed and voted on at www.startrekonline.com/enterprise/gallery.
UPDATE: Official Press release
ATARI AND CRYPTIC STUDIOS LAUNCH SEASON THREE: GENESIS, THE LATEST CONTENT UPDATE FOR STAR TREK™ ONLINE
"DESIGN THE NEXT ENTERPRISE" CONTEST NOW LIVE FOR NORTH AMERICAN PARTICIPANTS
(Los Angeles, CA) December 10, 2010 – Atari, one of the world’s most recognized publishers and producers of interactive entertainment, and Cryptic Studios, creators of the acclaimed City of Heroes and Champions Online, today announced the availability of Season Three: Genesis, the latest content update for the Star Trek™ Online universe. Additionally, Intel, Alienware, Cryptic and Atari are sponsoring Design the Next Enterprise, a special contest where one winner will add an unforgettable entry to Star Trek‘s iconic Starfleet.
Season Three: Genesis is Cryptic Studios’ latest major content update to Star Trek Online. This new update features a host of upgrades, progressive changes and new features to the game. Key features include:
- The Foundry Beta (v 0.3) – Cryptic’s player-created content system is now in public beta. The Foundry gives players the chance to design their own missions in Star Trek Online. Players may share creations with friends, and Cryptic’s proprietary content rating system ensures only the best missions are promoted.
- Episode Replay – In Genesis, every previously enjoyed mission may now be replayed. Some even feature brand new rewards.
- Borg Technology In Ships – Integrate Borg technology into existing starships! New Borg loot from Special Task Force missions greatly augment a ship’s usefulness as well as its appearance.
- New Sector Space – Cryptic has revamped Sector Space to give it a more realistic look and feel!
In addition to Season Three: Genesis, Cryptic and Atari are working with Intel to host a “Design the Next Enterprise” contest, turning over design of a future version of the Galaxy’s most famous starship to fans of Star Trek. Entrants can currently visit the Design Hangar and submit their version of a future Enterprise online. The best design will be selected and converted into a playable ship within Star Trek Online.
The grand prize package includes:
- An Alienware M11x Laptop with custom Star Trek Online paintjob.
- Collector’s Edition copy of Star Trek Online.
- A Lifetime Subscription to Star Trek Online.
- A 3-D model of the winning ship.
- Inclusion of the winning ship in Star Trek Online.
Runners-up will receive prizes. The Design the Next Enterprise contest ends January 15, 2011.
For eligibility and official rules, or to learn more about the Design the Next Enterprise contest and to submit your own starship, please visit: http://www.startrekonline.com/Enterprise
Taking place in the year 2409, Star Trek Online boasts extraordinary features and lets fans both new and old experience unparalleled adventures. Players have the opportunity to become high-ranking Starfleet officers and participate in missions that take them into the depths of space, across exotic planets and inside other starships. Star Trek Online offers total customization, from a player’s avatar to the ship he captains.