Today Star Trek sequel co-writer and producer Roberto Orci has given an update on plans for the script for the movie planned for a Summer 2012 release. Orci says that the writing team plan on turning it in late March. More details below. [UPDATE: And in other scheduling news, Simon Pegg says he plans to be shooting the Star Trek sequel in the August. More details below.]
Orci: Six weeks for Star Trek sequel script draft
The script for the planned 2012 Star Trek sequel is currently being worked on. On Thursday Bob posted a comment here at TrekMovie.com that he was "writing Trek as we speak!". Orci is working on the script with fellow producer/co-writers Damon Lindelof and Alex Kurtzman. And today, responding to a question posted on Twitter, Orci gave an estimate on when the team plan on handing in their first full draft:
Bob’s estimate would mean that the Star Trek sequel script draft would be handed in around the last week of March. Assuming standard procedure (and no major problems with script), once the draft is handed in, Paramount will begin the process to give the film a budget and move into pre-production. That time will also be the decision point for producer JJ Abrams on if he will also be returning to the director’s chair. Of course, work on the script can continue all the way up to production start (with more tweaking possible during shooting), but the studio needs a draft in order to create a budget and give the film the official greenlight.
UPDATE: Simon Pegg: Shooting Star Trek sequel in August
The last estimates for shooting to start on the film were to be the Summer of 2011, but recently it has been reported that might "slip a bit" in order to accommodate Chris Pine’s schedule. Earlier this week in an interview with BBC 1, Star Trek’s new Scotty Simon Pegg said that he will be doing "Star Trek in August" (thank to James for tip).
The Star Trek sequel is still scheduled to be released June 29th, 2012.