As we have been reporting here at TrekMovie.com, developing the script for the 2012 Star Trek sequel is now in the final stretch. Now a new report states that Paramount is ready to get things started. This all falls on the four-year anniversary of Paramount officially announcing JJ Abrams’ first Star Trek film. More details below.
Report: Paramount ready to get things going
A new article from our friend Vic Holtreman at Screenrant cites a studio source with a report that Paramount liked the story pitch for the Star Trek sequel and that they are "already willing to spend money on pre-production offices." This report is consistent with TrekMovie reporting, as all indications are that Paramount is bullish on the Star Trek sequel and wants to get things going to ensure they make their June, 29 2012 date.
As previously reported, sequel co-writer/producer Roberto Orci recently said that the writing team (of Orci, Damon Lindelof and Alex Kurtzman) hope to hand in the first draft of the script to the studio by late March, and this week he and fellow co-writer/producer Damon Lindelof spoke about ‘holing up’ in a hotel to the first draft. And on Thursday, actor Simon Pegg said buzz on the script was good, or as he put it "that the "word on the bridge is the new script is AMAZEBALLS", appearing to confirm that insider buzz.
Traditionally films need a script to get a greenlight and budget and to start pre-production, but once Paramount set the June 29, 2012 release date (which they did thirteen months ago) the Star Trek sequel had what one insider called a "soft greenlight" meaning that the studio assumes the film will go ahead even before getting a script. While many aspects of pre-production require an agreed script draft (like casting, designing, location scouting, construction, etc.) there are still things that could be done to lay the groundwork, such as set up offices and possibly lining up the required crew, which is expected to be a close mirror to the team that put together the 2009 Star Trek film.
So things continue to move in the right direction for the 2012 Star Trek sequel, and 2011 looks to be an eventful year for the film moving into to pre-production soon and then production, which is reported to be starting in August.
The 2012 Star Trek sequel could be pulling out of spacedock soon
Flashback: Four Years ago today Paramount announced JJ Abrams Star Trek
It might be hard to believe, but it was February 27, 2007 when Paramount officially announced that were making a new Star Trek movie. In a release titled "J.J. Abrams to direct Star Trek Feature Film For Paramount in Theaters Christmas Day 2008" studio chief Brad Grey stated (in part) "The revival of the ‘Star Trek’ franchise is an important part of Paramount’s turnaround." The release also quoted Abrams, who said:
JJ Abrams (2/27/07): If there’s something I’m dying to see, it’s the brilliance and optimism of Roddenberry’s world brought back to the big screen. Alex and Bob wrote an amazing script that embraces and respects Trek canon, but charts its own course. Our goal is to make a picture for everyone — life-long fans and the uninitiated. Needless to say, I am honored and excited to be part of this next chapter of Star Trek.
Although word about a JJ Abrams-produced Star Trek project was first reported in the spring of 2006 (before TrekMovie.com launched), the only official release from Paramount before Feb. 27, 2007 was the Abrams-designed teaser poster at Comic-Con 2006.
Original Star Trek teaser from Comic Con 2006 – movie "officially " announced Feb. 27 2007 (four years ago today)
The February 2007 official announcement confirmed that Abrams would be directing as well as producing (along with Damon Lindelof), with a shooting start target of Fall 2007 and a release date of Christmas 2008 (which was later changed to May 2009). The release didn’t reveal a title, cast, or any plot details. Even though TrekMovie and others were unofficially reporting that the film would recast Kirk and Spock, it wasn’t until later in spring 2007 that Abrams confirmed this, and not until Comic-Con 2007 that the team announced the casting of Zachary Quinto and Leonard Nimoy, as the two Spocks.
While a Trek film was announced Feb. 27, 2007 – first casting and "Star Trek" title weren’t revealed until Comic-Con 2007 "Star Trek" panel
Assuming that they follow form, then Paramount could be issuing a similar official announcement about the 2012 Star Trek sequel as early as March (which would hopefully also confirm JJ Abrams as director). Pre-production for the sequel will be a much simpler process as Abrams and Bad Robot already have a crew in mind, and most of the principal cast they need. Also much of the work designing and building sets for the USS Enterprise are done, so the focus for the sequel will be designing, building and scouting for new elements in the film, along with casting new characters.
This article’s Star Trek sequel icon comes courtesy of the linked article from our friends at ScreenRant.