In Sci-Fi TV this week, Guillermo del Toro offers a brief update on the status of the ABC series The Hulk, we have news on a comics legend making a guest star appearance on Chuck season 5 and much more, including the latest television ratings for Terra Nova and Fringe, and the latest new images and video previews.
GENRE TV NEWS
Guillermo del Toro teases The Hulk TV series
We’ve been coming up with an angle that is really strong. I am a fan of Peter David, [Greg] Pak and [Jeph] Loeb but I like very much what individual writers and artists have done through the decades. I only gravitate to "monster" superheroes- (Blade, Hellboy, Deadman, Hulk-) because I have no interest on the straight ones -even when I’ve been offered the keys to the kingdom.
Hope you enjoy what you hear!!
Del Toro is developing the series with David Eick ("Battlestar Galactica"). "The Hulk" is being developed for the 2012 TV season.
Stan Lee to guest star on Chuck + Series casting Sarah’s mom
Keeping with the tradition of impressive guest stars, the NBC spy-fi series "Chuck" has added yet another in comics legend Stan Lee. HitFix reports that Lee will appear in the fifth season’s seventh episode:
"Chuck encounters Stan Lee in the most unexpected of places," a setting that might suggest The Man has "a secret identity of his own."
"Chuck" co-creator Chris Fedak said the following about the addition:
"To say we’re excited to have Stan Lee join us on the show is an understatement. His iconic characters and the epic worlds he imagined have been inspirations to all of us working on ‘Chuck.’"
The fifth season will also feature guest stars Mark Hamill and Carrie-Anne Moss. But that likely won’t be the end of special guest stars, as TVLine has learned that the series will be introducing a new character: Sarah’s (Yvonne Strahovski) mom. The character is described as "a beautiful blonde who is, in essence, a walking hug." In other news, ChuckTV.net reports that the seventh episode of the season (title TBA) will be a Christmas-themed episode — a first for the series. "Chuck" premieres its fifth season on Friday, October 21. Watch a promo below.
Season five promo [YouTube]
Fringe season four premiere numbers
Last Friday’s season four premiere of "Fringe" drew mixed results. "Neither Here Nor There" averaged 3.48M viewers and a 1.5 A18-49 rating. On the negative side, this represented a 21% decline from the season three premiere (1.9 A18-49 rating), but on the positive side it was up 25% from last season’s finale (1.3 A18-49 rating). In other news, you can check out an interview with star Anna Torv (Olivia Dunham) at Coventry Telegraph. "Fringe" airs Friday nights at 9 p.m. on Fox. Watch the promo for tomorrow night’s episode "One Night in October" below.
Promo for episode 4×02 – "One Night in October" [YouTube]
Fox’s Terra Nova opens to so-so ratings + Interview with Braga and Echevarria
The two-hour series premiere of the Steven Spielberg-produced prehistoric time travel series "Terra Nova" debuted Monday night on Fox and drew 9.22 million viewers and a 3.1 A18-49 rating. Given all the hype and the expensive nature of the series (the pilot reportedly cost $10M-$20M — amortized over the season — and the average episode budget is $4 million) the numbers failed to impress. Despite that, there was a positive to be found in that the premiere managed to hold its audience throughout the two hours. The first hour averaged 9.35M viewers and a 3.1 A18-49 rating and the second hour dipping only slightly to 9.08M viewers while holding steady among A18-49 with a 3.1. Needless to say the show’s future — whether it’ll be just a short 13-episode series or a long-running one — rests on the performance of future episodes.
In case you missed the two-part episode you can watch "Genesis" for Free on iTunes in HD. Fox will also be re-airing the episode this Saturday, October 1 at 8 p.m.
"Star Trek" vets René Echevarria and Brannon Braga are writer/producers on the series — with Braga serving as showrunner — and were interviewed by HitFix about the premiere. Although the interview was taken before the premiere aired, it does offer some further insight into the work that went into the pilot along with some brief observations of the premiere and the series in general. Watch the interview below:
"Terra Nova" continues with episode three "Instinct" on Monday, October 3. Here’s the official description for the episode followed by the latest images and videos:
JIM AND TAYLOR MUST PROTECT THE COLONY WHEN IT’S INVADED BY A SWARM OF PREHISTORIC FLYING BIRDS; ELISABETH DISCOVERS A FORMER FLAME MAY HAVE RECRUITED HER TO THE PAST ON AN ALL-NEW “TERRA NOVA” MONDAY, OCTOBER 3 ON FOX
When Terra Nova comes under attack from a legion of Pterosaurs, Jim and Taylor must find a way to save the colony before it’s completely overtaken. Elisabeth discovers a former flame is also living in Terra Nova and may have been responsible for her recruitment. Syke tries to make Josh feel at home and Reynolds get protective of Maddy in the all-new “Instinct” episode of TERRA NOVA airing Monday, Oct. 3 (8:00-9:00 PM ET/PT) on FOX. (TN-103) (TV-14 L, S, V)
Cast: Jason O’Mara as Jim Shannon; Stephen Lang as Cmdr. Nathaniel Taylor; Shelley Conn as Dr. Elisabeth Shannon; Landon Liboiron as Josh Shannon; Naomi Scott as Maddy Shannon; Alana Mansour as Zoe Shannon; Allison Miller as Syke; Christine Adams as Mira; Rod Hallett as Dr. Malcolm Wallace
Guest Cast: Simone Kissell as Washington; Dean Geyer as Reynolds; Michael Wilder as Gillers; Louis O’Kada as Walsh
Promotional stills for episode 1×04 – "What Remains" [more at SpoilerTV]
Promo for episode 1×03 – "Instinct" [YouTube]
Watch another promo here
Sneak peek at "Instinct" [YouTube]
PREVIEW Videos & Images
Being Human (US)
Season two promo [YouTube]
Promotional stills for season six finale "The Wedding of River Song" [more at Pizquita]
Promo for "The Wedding of River Song" [YouTube]
Set images for the Christmas special [more at Pizquita]
Game of Thrones
Season two teaser trailer: "Terror Tease" [HBO]
Sneak peek at the season two finale "Sins of the Father" [YouTube]
Season four cast images [more at Pizquita]
Promotional stills for the season four premiere – "Tempus" [more at Pizquita]
The Sarah Jane Adventures
Promotional stills and cast images [more at Blogtor Who]
The Secret Circle
Promotional stills for episode 1×04 – "Heather" [more at KSiteTV]
Promo for "Heather" [YouTube]
Promotional stills for episode 7×02 – "Hello Cruel World" [more at KSiteTV]
Promotional stills for episode 7×03 – "The Girl Next Door" [more at KSiteTV]
Promo for "Hello Cruel World" [YouTube]
Clip from "Hello Cruel World" [YouTube]
The Vampire Diaries
Promo for episode 3×04 – "Disturbing Behavior" [YouTube]
The Walking Dead
Season two poster [SpoilerTV]
Season two cast images [more at SpoilerTV]
Season two trailer [YouTube]
Season two promo [IGN]
Behind the scenes video [YouTube]
TV & CASTING BITES
- George R.R. Martin, "Game of Thrones" author and a writer/producer for the 80s TV series "Beauty and the Beast", is "nervous" about announced plans by The CW to remake the series: "I must admit, the announcement makes me nervous. The new version will "modernize and CW-up" the love story, it says here, as well as adding a "procedural twist…the phrase rings ominously in my ears". [George R.R. Martin | LiveJournal via Blastr]
- Episode 1×08 of the new ABC series "Once Upon a Time" will be called "Desperate Souls". [SpoilerTV]
- …"Supernatural" producer says Sera Gamble we’ll learn more about what the Leviathans are as the season develops: "[W]e open the idea of Purgatory and the idea that there were monsters there and that it’s an awful place, and Hell’s an awful place, and Heaven frankly sounds kind of boring to me. When you think about it, Earth is sort of this Eden, slightly corrupted, but full off possibilities, and it seems like everybody wants to be here."… [AOL TV]
- …Meanwhile, we now have the titles for four more episodes of "Supernatural". Episode 7×09 is called "How to Win Friends and Influence People", episode 7×10 is called "Not Fade Away", episode 7×11 is called "Adventures in Babysitting" and episode 7×12 currently has a working title of "Amazon.com". [SpoilerTV]
- "Teen Wolf" creator Jeff Davis has revealed that MTV is looking into producing 24 episodes of the series for season two to be "split into two separate 12 episode arcs". [@JeffDavis75]
- BBC3 has confirmed that they’ve canceled the "Doctor Who" behind-the-scenes series "Doctor Who Confidential". [The Guardian]
- Fox has picked up the Tim Kring ("Heroes") drama "Touch" for 13 episodes. The series will premiere in spring 2012. [Fox]
- The third season of "The Vampire Diaries" will introduce Esther, the mother of the Original family, via 1,000+ year-old flashbacks. She’s described as being "as strong and as fierce as Klaus, but she’s more into protecting her family than packing them away in coffins." [TV Guide]
- Kristen Bauer van Straten ("True Blood") will play Maleficent in the upcoming second episode of the new ABC drama "Once Upon a Time". [io9]
- Simon Fisher-Becker has revealed that he has been cast in the second season of HBO’s "Game of Thrones". He’ll be playing a High Priest. [CultBox via Winter-Is-Coming]
- "Supernatural" – 7×04 – "Defending Your Life". [SpoilerTV]
- "Supernatural" – 7×05 – "Shut Up, Dr. Phill". [SpoilerTV]
- "The Sarah Jane Adventures" – 5×03-04 – "The Curse of the Clyde Langer – Parts 1 and 2". [Blogtor Who]
- "Chuck" – 5×01 – "Chuck versus The Zoom". [SpoilerTV]
- "Fringe" – 4×04 – "Subject 9". [SpoilerTV]
- "The Vampire Diaries" – 3×05 – "The Reckoning". [SpoilerTV]
- "The Vampire Diaries" – 3×06 – "Smells Like Teen Spirit". [SpoilerTV]
- "Lost Girl" – 2×05 – "BrotherFae of the Wolves". [SpoilerTV]
- "The Secret Circle" – 1×05 – "Slither". [SpoilerTV]
- "The Secret Circle" – 1×06 – "Wake". [SpoilerTV]
- "Terra Nova" – 1×04 – "What Remains". [SpoilerTV]