Looks like we have another ‘will Zachary Quinto return to the role of Spock?’ scare going on. In a new interview promoting his work on American Horror Story, Zach said something which could (if viewed in a certain way) be interpreted as possibly saying he might not return for a third Trek film, following Star Trek Into Darkness.
UPDATE: Quinto Tweets ‘Simmer Down’
Shortly after TrekMovie made inquiries into this issue and posted first article, Zachary tweeted the following…
simmer down kids. rumors are rumors for a reason. quotes out of context. let’s let the second movie come out before we talk about a third…
— Zachary Quinto (@ZacharyQuinto) November 19, 2012
Quinto Spock Comment Sparks Latest Rumor
Zachary Quinto has again sparked concerns that he may be done with the role of Spock. In a new interview with Entertainment Weekly promoting his work as a serial killer on the FX series American Horror Story: Asylum. Of course before taking on the role of Spock, Quinto was at work playing the serial killer Sylar on Heroes.
Quinto on ‘American Horror Story’
In talking to EW, Quinto says that he is ready to move on to less killer roles…
While the Asylum experience has been rewarding, Quinto says he’s also ready to “go in a different direction” with his career after Star Trek Into Darkness hits theaters next summer. “It’s like an era of association with certain roles – a specific part like Spock, or a kind of part, like Sylar — is coming to an end,” he says. “I think it’s safe to say this will be the last serial killer I’ll be playing for the foreseeable future.”
Some fans and websites have taken this comment to suggest that Quinto is saying he is moving on from the role of Spock. However, that seems to be a stretch. I haven’t been able to confirm directly with Zach yet, but a source close to the actor reminds that Quinto has signed up for three Star Trek films (just like the rest of the main cast). The source also notes "he is clearly talking about his next steps and seeking new projects and roles going forward."
This isn’t the first time there has been a Quinto Spock scare. Back in early 2010 right after Zachary provided voice work for the new game Star Trek Online the actor said that he was "stepping away from Star Trek for at least two years." At the time many fans thought this meant he would not be appearing in the Star Trek sequel (now titled Into Darkness). Quinto later clarified on his site that he wasn’t going to be doing any publicity or ancillary Star Trek product work but he also noted "Obviously I will be a part of any upcoming films… reprising my role as Spock." Note how at the time he said ‘films’ as in plural.
Quinto as Spock in 2009’s Star Trek
So while I’m unsure if Quinto will make a similar clarification of this latest Internet freak-out, I think chill pills are in order. I suspect Quinto will be on board for a third Star Trek film, along with the rest of the cast, as well as the team behind the camera as well. As for a possible fourth Trek movie? Well that is a bigger question we will have to get into later.
ZQ at GQ
While we are on the subject of Zach, please enjoy these photos of the actor from the GQ Men of the Year Party in Los Angeles earlier this week.