In December it was reported that the Star Trek film project based on a pitch from Quentin Tarantino would be R-Rated, however in a new red carpet interview from today’s Empire Awards, Star Trek actor (and co-writer of Star Trek Beyond) Simon Pegg adds doubt to that previous report. Talking to Hey U Guys, Pegg said
I don’t think he’s written an R-rated Star Trek script. I think what happened is he went to [Star Trek producer] J.J. [Abrams] with an idea that he has had for a while – I remember he told us about it a long time ago. I think he told me and Edgar [Wright], about it a long time ago. He just put it to J.J. and J.J. is considering putting it into a writing room. We got an email just saying “Guess who came in the office the other day!” So, I don’t know much about it, other than the fact that it is sort of in the mix. So, we will see.
According to the latest reporting from the trades, Abrams and Tarantino have already assembled a writers room for Tarantino’s Star Trek pitch, and tapped Revenant writer Mark L. Smith to write a draft script.
Pegg didn’t offer an opinion on Tarantino’s take on Star Trek, but recently his Trek co-star Karl Urban said it is important to “remain open” to the idea of different take on the franchise, even if that includes the “swearing, more graphic violence or sex” commonly associated with Tarantino’s films. John Cho has also expressed interest, noting he wants to the chance to do “Quentin Tarantino dialog, as Sulu.”
You can watch the full red carpet interview below.
Pegg presents Spielberg’s Lifetime Award
Simon Pegg was at the Empire Awards to present the Legend of Our Lifetime to director Steven Spielberg. Pegg appears in Speilberg’s new film Ready Player One, which opens March 29. Sir Patrick Stewart picked up the same Legend Award at last year’s ceremony.
Keep checking back to TrekMovie.com for all your Star Trek movie news.