The premiere of Discovery season two is tomorrow, so today we round up the latest interviews and promotional images.
Watch the cast chat about season two
The red carpet premiere of season two will be held in New York City, much of the cast is already there and they did a live stream for BUILD Series NYC earlier today. Anthony Rapp, Mary Wiseman, Anson Mount, and Sonequa Martin-Green were in studio and had a nice rather informal chat about filming season two and having fun on set, and answering some fan questions from Twitter.
Some fun things we learned from their stream:
- Anson Mount’s nickname for Ethan Peck on set was “Hot Spock,” Anthony Rapp joined in by singing — he’d put “Hot Spock” into to the jingle for the Hot Pockets commercials.
- There will be a one-on-one scene between science officers Stamets and Spock.
- Mount wasn’t told what role he was auditioning for, they used a fake name of “Captain Parker.”
- Sonequa is a “tackle hugger”, she likes to come up behind people and surprise hug them.
- Mount on Pike’s relationship to Spock: “we kind of had to build that out for ourselves, I found myself for reasons I can’t explain, to one of JJ’s movies, I know it’s a different timeline, the relationship that I saw between Kirk and Bones, every now and then they just need to have a whiskey and talk things out, I think that Pike has tried to develop that relationship with Spock, because he does value him as a mind but also sees the humanity in him, perhaps even more so than Spock himself sees it.”
Anthony Rapp reaches out to Disco skeptics
Anthony Rapp spoke to Buzzfeed about season two, among many other topics, where he spoke about connecting up to canon.
…there are certain moments in our story that feed into things we already know that as a long-time fan of it, are very, very satisfying to me. And I would be very surprised if the people who are understandably a little skeptical and wondering how we fit in to the great whole, I believe very strongly that all of that is going to get settled.
Full video – Discovery talk starts 6:45
Anthony Rapp explains how he’s had to shut down trolls after being the first person to publicly accuse Kevin Spacey of sexual misconduct. Plus, he shares the joys of being gay in space on "Star Trek: Discovery." 🚀
Posted by PROFILE by BuzzFeed News on Tuesday, January 15, 2019
These new pieces of key art have been used for billboards in select markets and also as part of online advertisements for Discovery season 2.
New photos from “Brother”
The premiere episode is titled “Brother” and CBS has released three new photos for the episode.
More cast interviews
The official Star Trek site has been releasing cast interviews over the past week, we’ve rounded them up below:
Plus, here are two more video interviews with the cast from Syfy Wire.
Even more to come this week
After the new episode is released we’ll be posting our full review of the premiere episode “Brother.” If you haven’t already read it, we published our spoiler free review last week, to whet your appetite for the new season.
There will be a red carpet premiere in New York tomorrow evening. TrekMovie will be there and will be posting our interviews starting Friday. Also be sure to keep up with events on Twitter at @trekmovie.
Discovery at PaleyFest LA
On March 24th the cast and crew of Discovery will be on stage to talk about season two at PaleyFest LA 2019. If you’re in the Los Angeles area there are tickets available at paleyfest.org. TrekMovie intends to be there to report on the panel.
— CBS TV Studios (@CBSTVStudios) January 14, 2019
Star Trek: Discovery Season 2 premieres Thursday, January 17 in the USA on CBS All Access at 5:30PM PT/8:30PM ET. It will air in Canada on Space at 5:00PM PT/8:00 PM ET the same day. For all other regions, the premiere will be available on Netflix within 24-hours (January 18).
Keep up with all the Star Trek: Discovery news at TrekMovie.