Today, Perfect World Entertainment launched Mirror of Discovery for Star Trek Online on PC, with Xbox One and PlayStation 4 releases coming at a later date. The newest update to the free-to-play Star Trek Trek MMORPG picks up on a storyline from the first season of the CBS All Access series Star Trek: Discovery and features cast member Mary Wiseman playing Captain Killy from the Mirror Universe.
Mirror of Discovery synopsis
As leader of the I.S.S. Discovery, Killy’s ruthless reputation was often mentioned in the series, though her character was never shown on-screen. Players unravel the mystery of what really happened to her and the crew of the I.S.S. Discovery after it was summoned to the Prime Universe and never seen again. In addition, captains explore all-new missions, an update to the Endeavors System and special challenges to celebrate Star Trek Online’s 9th anniversary.
Mirror of Discovery details
Last fall, Star Trek Online took its maiden journey into the Star Trek: Discovery universe with the launch of the continuing saga, Age of Discovery. Mirror of Discovery picks up where the first installment left off, just after players battled the Klingons with the support of fellow Starfleet Academy-mate, Sylvia Tilly (also voiced by Mary Wiseman). Discovery fans may remember an episode from the first season where the U.S.S. Discovery and its crew were abruptly transported to the Mirror Universe. At the same time, the starship’s counterpart, the I.S.S. Discovery, was said to be destroyed by the Klingons above Pahvo in the Prime Universe. Over a century has passed since these events took place and Star Trek Online captains find themselves on the same forest planet where the Terran starship met its fate. A powerful ion storm transports a group of displaced time-travelers, survivors of the I.S.S Discovery and Ensign Tilly’s mirror-self, the vicious Captain Sylvia “Killy” Tilly of the Terran Empire. In a calculated attempt to take control, Killy threatens to destroy Pahvo, leaving it up to Starfleet’s finest to save the tranquil forest planet from total annihilation.
These events all transpire across all-new missions featured in Mirror of Discovery. A full list of game features introduced with today’s PC update includes:
- Two New Featured Episodes – Captains hailing from all of the game’s various factions can experience two new playable episodes featuring Captain Sylvia Tilly of the Terran Empire.
- “Para Pacem” – Players will witness the I.S.S. Discovery’s fated confrontation with Klingon forces, in the middle of an ion storm above Pahvo.
- “Illusion of Communication” – Captains must stop Captain Killy from using Terran Empire technology to manipulate Pahvo’s peaceful biosphere.
- Anniversary Events – This month, Star Trek Online celebrates nine years of exploring the Star Trek universe from within. To kick off this milestone, the game is bringing back the popular Omega Molecule Stabilization event. Players who stabilize Q’s scattered Omega particles can earn free Omega Particle Tech Upgrades and prize vouchers, redeemable for the new T6 Vulcan Scout Ship featured in Star Trek: Discovery.
- Personal Endeavor System – Players who enjoy the game’s Endeavor System can now complete unique daily challenges to earn account-wide performance boosts in a wide variety of combat mechanics.
- Battle at the Binary Stars – By popular demand, the Battle at the Binary Stars Event is now available as a Task Force Operation, with the debut of Advanced and Elite modes that will challenge even the most experienced players.
More to come
More Star Trek: Discovery content is headed to Star Trek Online in the coming weeks. This includes added Task Force Operation rewards and “Pahvo Dissension,” a new featured TFO which returns players to Pahvo for another uprising against the Terran Empire. Details will be available on Star Trek Online’s official blog.
To download and play Star Trek Online today for free, visit www.playstartrekonline.com