The release of the Star Trek: Deep Space Nine documentary What We Left Behind on home video is fast approaching. Shout!Factory will be releasing the retail version on August 6 in the USA and Canada. Sadly, there is no availability for a retail release outside of North America at the moment.
Retail release from Shout!
It includes the documentary itself plus these special features:
- “An Intro from Ira & the Gang“
- “A Brief History of Deep Space Nine“
- “What We Left Out“(deleted scenes with over 45 minutes of new stories)
- “Behind the Scenes at the Variety Photoshoot“
- “HD Remaster Discussion“ (a roundtable chat with the filmmakers)
- “More From the Fans“
- Theatrical Trailer
Special Edition Blu-ray from Shout!
This edition is limited to 1,500 copies, and available only from Shout!Factory store. It includes everything on the standard Blu-ray release, along with a second Blu-ray disc that offers:
- A Musical Reunion, an extended conversation with composers Dennis McCarthy and Kevin Kiner.
- Roundtable Look at the Making of the Documentary, a Shout! exclusive special feature, a 50-Minute discussion with Co-Director and Deep Space Nine Showrunner Ira Steven Behr, Co-Director David Zappone, Producer Kai de Mello-Folsom, Producer/Editor Joseph Kornbrodt, and Producer/Editor Luke Snailham.
Indigegogo backer release
The documentary team is making their own release for backers. This will be a combo pack with both a Blu-ray version and a DVD version. Backers will get it before the retail release; the team says to expect it in early July.
This release is for all backers, many of whom are from outside North America, the documentary team have confirmed it will be a region free disc set. It includes everything the standard Shout! release includes plus three special features, two of which are exclusive to backers.
- A Musical Reunion (an extended conversation with composers Dennis McCarthy and Kevin Kiner)
- Indiegogo Campaign Videos & Video Vault
- Technical Trivia Track (A special subtitle text track with detailed technical info and listing of our HD Hero sponsors)
European theatrical screenings June 26
While the US and Canada had theatrical screenings earlier this month, Trekkies in Europe have been campaigning for screenings closer to home. The demand has been heard and CinEvents is doing a one-night-only event in parts of the UK, Ireland, Germany, and Austria on Wednesday, June 26th.
Keep up with all the updates and news on the DS9 documentary in our What We Left Behind category here at TrekMovie.com.