Star Trek’s first animated adult comedy is headed home. Today CBS Home Entertainment and Paramount Home Entertainment announced the first season of Star Trek: Lower Decks will arrive on Blu-ray and DVD on May 18th. There will also be a Steelbook special edition. We have all the details on the release, which includes nearly two hours of special features.
Lower Decks – a new kind of Trek
Even though Star Trek: Lower Decks was something completely new to the franchise, it proved popular with fans and garnered positive reviews in the media as well as here at TrekMovie.com. The love for Star Trek from series creator (and two-time Emmy winner) Mike McMahan shows through all ten episodes of the debut season.
Set in the 24th century after the events of Star Trek: Nemesis, the animated comedy introduced us to the USS Cerritos, one of the “least important ships in Starfleet.” Leaving the glamourous missions to the other ships, the crew of the Cerritos focused on “second contact.”
And as the name of the show indicated, Lower Decks focused on the adventures of a core group of ensigns on board: Beckett Mariner (Tawny Newsome), Brad Boimler (Jack Quaid), Samanthan Rutherford (Eugene Cordero), and D’Vana Tendi (Noël Wells). But the bridge crew of the Cerritos still play an important part in the show, including Captain Carol Freeman (Dawnn Lewis), Commander Jack Ransom, (Jerry O’Connell), Lieutenant Shaxs, (Fred Tatasciore), and Doctor T’Ana (Gillian Vigman).
Almost two hours of special features
The DVD and Blu-ray releases are packed with special features. A highlight is “Lower Decktionary,” a multi-part exploration of the series’ music, art design, animation process and more. The collection also features exclusive interviews with the voice cast, deleted and extended scenes, and a “fan-forward exploration of the series’ many Easter eggs.”
The Blu-ray, DVD and limited edition Steelbook offer fans all 10 episodes from the debut season and nearly two hours of exclusive special features including:
- CRISIS POINT: THE RISE OF VINDICTA TRAILER (Exclusive) – An exclusive, over-the-top action trailer based on the in-episode movie from “Crisis Point.”
- FACES OF THE FLEET – A deep dive into the crew of the U.S.S. Cerritos , alongside producers, writers and the cast of Star Trek: Lower Decks. Highlighting character backstories and the behind-the-scenes development of their hilarious on-screen personalities, this exclusive featurette takes a look at Ensigns Beckett Mariner, Brad Boimler, Samanthan Rutherford, D’Vana Tendi, and more.
- HIDING IN PLAIN SIGHT (Exclusive) – An inside look at canon and hidden Easter eggs throughout the series, including freeze frame images and insightful commentary from producers, creatives and cast.
- LOWER DECKTIONARY:
- JOINING STARFLEET (Episode 101) (Exclusive) – Producers and crew discuss the development of season one from storyline to visual artistry.
- ALIENS AMONG US (Episode 102) (Exclusive) – Dives into the different aliens
Ensigns Brad Boimler and Beckett Mariner encounter as they escort K’orin to Tulgana 4.
- THE ANIMATION PROCESS (Episode 103) (Exclusive) – A look at the efficiency and creativity needed to put together an episode of Lower Decks in this otherworldly look at the animation process.
- THE MAIN TITLES (Episode 104) (Exclusive) – Immersed in the creation of the episode’s title sequence, the featurette explores the graphic design and thematic music developed for Lower Decks.
- ART DESIGN (Episode 105) (Exclusive) – A look at characters’ style and the sets that elevate the animated on-screen adventures of the U.S.S. Cerritos.
- THE HOLODECK (Episode 106) (Exclusive) – Including interviews with cast and creatives, the featurette highlights what holodeck experience they would like, how characters use it, and how it’s not only used for skills training, but sanity.
- DIVISION 14 (Episode 107) (Exclusive) – Not everything goes right for Starfleet – catch up with Division 14 who is tasked with dealing with all the unexpected mishaps.
- DECK DYNAMICS (Episode 108) (Exclusive) – A dive into the upper and lower deck dynamics, and how their comedic interactions contribute to the storyline throughout season one.
- THE MUSIC OF LOWER DECKS (Episode 109) (Exclusive) – Star Trek music is iconic. Explore how traditional themes have been integrated into Lower Decks and the episode’s in-story movie in this deep dive into the differences of scoring for animation versus live action, and comedy versus drama.
- ALL IN THE FAMILY (Episode 110) – As the debut comes to a close, fans can take a look at evolution of the crew and their relationships over the last year, and how Lower Decks fits into the Star Trek family as a few legacy characters appear.
- FULL LENGTH ANIMATIC (Exclusive)
- DELETED AND EXTENDED ANIMATICS (Exclusive)
Coming to Blu-ray and DVD and Steelbook
Lower Decks arrives on home media on May 18th. You can pre-order Blu-ray edition at Amazon for $31.99.
The limited edition Steelbook Blu-ray set can be pre-ordered at Amazon for $37.99.
And the DVD edition can be pre-ordered at Amazon for $25.99.
The Star Trek: Lower Decks Season One Blu-ray, DVD and Steelbook are presented in (16×9) format with English SDH subtitles and offer English 5.1 Dolby Digital audio.
Find more news and analysis for Star Trek: Lower Decks.