For the second year in a row, ViacomCBS is celebrating the anniversary of Star Trek with a special day of streamed events—but for the 55th anniversary, they are doing it live.
Star Trek Day 2021 Live!
On Sept. 8, 1966, Star Trek debuted with “The Man Trap” on NBC, and 55 years later the franchise is still going strong. Paramount Plus is honoring September 8 as Star Trek Day to celebrate the franchise’s enduring legacy by inviting fans from around the world to join in a celebration of Star Trek Day on Wednesday, Sept. 8 at 5:30 PM, PT/8:30 PM, ET. The event will be streamed live from the Skirball Cultural Center in Los Angeles, CA, which will be hosting the Star Trek Exploring New Worlds exhibit, opening in October.
Hosted by Wil Wheaton and Mica Burton, the Star Trek Day event will feature back-to-back in-person conversations with cast members and creative minds from the five Star Trek Universe Paramount Plus original series. There will also be a special panel featuring “legacy moments” about the history of Star Trek. Paramount Plus is also promising “surprise appearances, announcements, and reveals” throughout the event. Star Trek composer Jeff Russo will be at the helm of the Star Trek Day stage with a live orchestra performing Star Trek music throughout the evening.
Check out the announcement trailer:
Fans worldwide will be able to live-stream the Star Trek Day celebration panels for free at StarTrek.com/Day. The panels will also stream for free in the U.S. on Paramount+ and Paramount+’s Twitch page.
Just a couple of new tidbits
The Star Trek Day trailer is primarily composed of footage we’ve seen before from other trailers or past seasons of shows, but there are two things that caught our eye.
Q snaps back in Picard season 2
Strange New Worlds has a new title card, which may or may not have the finalized logo.
You may also notice a few HD clips in the trailer from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine, but those are from the scan of select footage that the DS9 documentary What We Left Behind: Looking Back at ‘Star Trek: Deep Space Nine’ did a few years ago.
Star Trek Day 2021 Panels
The following panels will include the casts and creatives from the iconic Star Trek television franchise:
- Star Trek: Prodigy, with series voice cast including Brett Gray and Dee Bradley Baker, along with executive producers Kevin and Dan Hageman and co-executive producer/director Ben Hibon.
- Star Trek: Discovery, with series stars Wilson Cruz, Blu del Barrio and Ian Alexander and co-showrunner and executive producer Michelle Paradise.
- Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, with series stars Anson Mount, Rebecca Romijn and Ethan Peck, joined by co-showrunners and executive producers Akiva Goldsman and Henry Alonso Myers.
- Star Trek: Lower Decks, with voice cast members Noël Wells and Eugene Cordero alongside series creator, showrunner, and executive producer Mike McMahan.
- Star Trek: Picard, with series stars Patrick Stewart and Jeri Ryan, co-showrunner and executive producer Akiva Goldsman, and a special live performance from Isa Briones singing “Blue Skies,” which was featured in the Picard season one finale.
- Roddenberry Legacy Panel, featuring a conversation with Gene Roddenberry’s son and the CEO of Roddenberry Entertainment, Rod Roddenberry, alongside Gates McFadden (Star Trek: The Next Generation), LeVar Burton (Star Trek: The Next Generation) and George Takei (Star Trek: The Original Series) as they discuss the Star Trek creator’s indelible impact on science fiction and culture.
The “legacy moments” will feature the following iconic Star Trek cast members:
- Cirroc Lofton from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine
- Anthony Montgomery from Star Trek: Enterprise
- Garrett Wang from Star Trek: Voyager
- George Takei from Star Trek: The Original Series
- LeVar Burton from Star Trek: The Next Generation
More Star Trek Day celebrations
In addition to the live event, there will also be a social media component with the return of the #STARTREKUNITEDGIVES campaign. For every person who tweets the hashtag StarTrekUnitedGives (#StarTrekUnitedGives), $1 will be donated and divided equally by Paramount Plus and the Roddenberry Foundation to organizations who do the real-world work of championing equality, social justice, the arts, and innovation. Paramount Plus and the Roddenberry Foundation are also partnering on a new global campaign to engage fans in honoring the legacy of Gene Roddenberry. The campaign will launch on Sept. 8.
Additional details on the #StarTrekUnitedGives campaign are available at StarTrek.com/Day.
There will also be a special Star Trek Day merchandise sale. On Sept. 8, fans can use the code “STARTREKDAY20” for 20% off sitewide at the official Star Trek Shop, which includes a curated Star Trek Day collection.
Keep up with the Star Trek Universe at TrekMovie.com.