At the Star Trek Into Darkness London premiere TrekMovie had an exclusive chance to speak to writer/producer Damon Lindelof who gave a frank appraisal of the chances of JJ Abrams returning to the director’s chair for the next movie along with talking about how long ago they decided on their approach for Into Darkness, and more. Watch the interview below.
Star Trek Beyond
According to JJ Abrams, there is still a chance he could return to the director’s chair for a third Star Trek movie (even though he is set to direct the next Star Wars movie). This revelation and more comes from a new lengthy Playboy interview with Abrams. JJ also points to a young director he has his eye on and talks a bit about William Shatner too. Excerpts below.
The latest issue of the official Star Trek magazine has an interview with Star Trek Into Darkness co-writer/producers Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. The pair talk about the villain John Harrison, the arc of the crew, how the film ties into today and even a bit about their next Star Trek movie. Excerpts below plus some scans of new Into Darkness images from the mag.
When LuscasFilm and Disney announced that JJ Abrams was going to direct Star Wars Episode VII people were surprised, especially because he had previously said he turned down the job because of his work on Star Trek. Now in a special JJ Abrams Issue of Empire Magazine, Abrams explains his change of heart. Details on that below, plus a preview of the cool Empire fold out Star Trek Into Darkness cover.
The countdown actually gets dark in the penultimate issue of IDW Publishing’s prequel to Star Trek Into Darkness. Countdown to Darkness #3 will be released this week and April won’t leave anything to chance or Kirk. Spoilers ahead.
With JJ Abrams set to direct the next Star Wars movie, it now seems possible (perhaps probable) that a new director will be brought in to direct the follow-up film to Star Trek Into Darkness. One director who appears to be open to the idea of jumping into Trek is Byran Singer. More on that below, plus Entertainment Weekly offers suggestions for Trek’s next helmer.
One of the big questions for Trekkies is how long will we have to wait for the next movie following Star Trek Into Darkness? According to producer Bryan Burk, it may not be four years (like the wait since 2009’s Star Trek). He is now hinting the next Trek could be out in time for the 50th anniversary of the franchise in 2016.
The prequel to Star Trek Into Darkness continues this week with Star Trek: Countdown to Darkness #2, from IDW Publishing. We learn more about Captain Robert April and we’re briefly introduced to another iconic character with an alternate universe twist. Spoilers ahead.
Sunday brought another awards show with Star Trek Into Darkness celebs presenting, this time it was Simon Pegg and Alice Eve at the BAFTA Film Awards in London. On the red carpet Eve weighed in on the most persistent rumor about co-star Benedict Cumberbatch’s character, and Pegg said he expects JJ Abrams (who is set to direct the next Star Wars movie) to return and direct a 3rd Star Trek film. Details below plus videos and images of the pair at the BAFTAs. UPDATED: Pegg tweets clarification on JJ directing 3rd Star Trek
Last month’s news that JJ Abrams was going to direct the next Star Wars movie took the world of Star Trek (and Entertainment in general) by storm. One person who is holding out hope that JJ will return for a third Star Trek movie is Chris Pine. See what Pine had to say below, plus vote in the new poll on if Paramount should wait for Abrams to direct a 3rd Star Trek.
On December 14th a 9-minute preview of Star Trek Into Darkness premiered with IMAX 3D screenings of The Hobbit. TrekMovie was quick to publish early impressions along with a later (more spoilery) detailed review on release day. But, was any of it scientifically realistic? Today Science Saturday is dedicated to an in-depth look beyond what we saw on the screen. Get your tricorder ready, and reverse the polarity of the warp nacelles; it’s time for a science diagnostic of the Into Darkness IMAX preview.
JJ Abrams’ Bad Robot production company is new to Twitter, but they are already giving Trek fans something to talk about. Today the official Bad Robot Twitter account sent out an image from the set of Star Trek Into Darkness. Also @bad_robot seems to have picked up on some tweets from @trekmovie about how the mayor of Newark, NJ wants to get into the next Star Trek. More details below.
At the Bad Robot press day, TrekMovie had time to quickly chat with some of the stars of Star Trek Into Darkness. Find out what Benedict Cumberbatch, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Karl Urban and John Cho had to say about the movie. I also asked all the regular crew if they will stick around past the three contracted movies.
Looks like we have another ‘will Zachary Quinto return to the role of Spock?’ scare going on. In a new interview promoting his work on American Horror Story, Zach said something which could (if viewed in a certain way) be interpreted as possibly saying he might not return for a third Trek film, following Star Trek Into Darkness.
Since the recent announcement that Disney had acquired LucasFilm and they were moving forward with a new Star Wars film trilogy there has been a lot of speculation about who will be involved in these projects. One name that has come up is JJ Abrams. In a new interview the Star Trek Into Darkness producer/director says he has another idea for his next project. Details below.