jump to navigation

Wil Wheaton and Brent Spiner to guest-star on The Big Bang Theory [UPDATE: First Look] September 25, 2011

by TrekMovie.com Staff , Filed under: Celebrity,TNG , trackback

Wil Wheaton will again guest star on the CBS comedy The Big Bang Theory, but this time he’ll be joined by fellow Star Trek: The Next Generation co-star Brent Spiner. Details over the jump. [Update: The first photo from the episode has been released]

As fans of The Big Bang Theory know very well, Wil Wheaton has appeared on the comedy series several times as Sheldon’s (Jim Parsons) nemesis. The actor’s latest guest starring turn on the series, however, will also include his TNT co-star Brent Spiner. The episode will feature Wil throwing a party at his home, The Big Bang Theory executive producer Chuck Lorre revealed [TV Guide]:

“It’s fun for me to meet the Star Trek actors because I grew up with these guys and it adds a little level of reality to the show that allows our hard core scientists to get a little silly around Star Trek actors.”

The episode will also feature some Star Trek crew members, including original series writers David Gerrold (“The Trouble with Tribbles”) and D.C. Fontana.

This will be Spiner’s first time on The Big Bang Theory, and his first on-screen appearance with Wil Wheaton since Star Trek: Nemesis. The two also worked together for an episode of the Fox animated series Family Guy.

The Big Bang Theory airs Thursdays at 8PM ET on CBS. The Spiner/Wheaton episode will air October 13.

Update: Spiner tweeted a photo from the set of filming with The Big Bang Theory stars Kaley Cuoco and Jim Parsons. Thanks Lt. Dakin:

Update: TV Guide has released the first photo from the episode. It features Brent Spiner, Wil Wheaton, Jim Parsons (Sheldon) and Johnny Galecki (Leonard). The article also includes some new details from the episode:

While Sheldon (Jim Parsons) has despised Wil ever since he failed to show at a sci-fi convention, exec producer Bill Prady believes that “of all the Star Trek characters Sheldon would love the most, we thought Data, the android [who has] trouble fitting in and wants emotions, is pretty close to his heart.”

Sort by:   newest | oldest | most voted
Harry Ballz
September 25, 2011 9:06 pm

After this, NIMOY!

Harry Ballz
September 25, 2011 9:07 pm

And then, of course, SHATNER!

Let Them Eat Plomeek Soup
September 25, 2011 9:12 pm

D.C. Fontana?! I MUST SEE THIS!!!!

I’d like to see Nichelle Nichols be on this show. That would be awesome.

trekkie1701d
September 25, 2011 9:15 pm

Nichelle could be written into the series very well, she’s a big supporter of NASA and both Raj and Howard work on projects for NASA

Lt. Dakin
September 25, 2011 10:58 pm

Brent tweeted a pic of himself and Kaley Cuoco with Jim Parsons peaking in last week that looked like it was in a soundstage and I wondered what was up.

Jon
September 25, 2011 11:14 pm

Oh how I long for some more next gen….

Lt. Dakin
September 25, 2011 11:44 pm
Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire
September 25, 2011 11:49 pm

I know. Get the Shat and Takie to gust on the show. That would be a lot of fun to see.

Groucho
September 26, 2011 1:19 am

George Takei has already been on TBBT but I’d love to see Bill or Leonard on it.

loghaD
September 26, 2011 2:31 am

I really can’t stand “The Big Bang Theory”, but even I have to admit that Evil Wil Wheaton is an awesome character.
I wonder how Brent Spiner will be portrayed. Perhaps it’ll be himself à la “Fresh Hell”?

bortaS bIr jablu’DI’ reH QaQqu’ nay’!

P.S. Typo in the article: TNG co-star, not “TNT co-star” ;) D.S.

I'm Dead Jim
September 26, 2011 4:26 am

I’m a little surprised to hear that Wil Wheaton and DC Fontana will be in the same room together. If I remember correctly from reading “Memories of the Future”, Wil blamed Fontana along with other TNG writers for Wesley Crusher’s crappy lines. Wil specifically mentioned a convention in which Fontana was slamming him. Sir Patrick convinced Wil to come to that convention to defend himself. Well, maybe time heals.

I look forward to seeing that episode, especially for Spiner. I hope they give him more than one or two lines.

denny cranium
September 26, 2011 5:25 am

TBBT really is brilliant television.
For me its funniest when they bring the subtle Trek or pop culture references in.
Congrats to Chuck Lorre.
As for Shatner or Nimoy?
Nimoy maybe
Shatner never

Starfleet's Finest
September 26, 2011 6:10 am

Oh, this should be so much fun!! They could technically work in any Trek star on that show, but I’m in agreement with all of you: please get Mr. Nimoy on the show!! After Sheldon received that signed napkin for Christmas, it only seems, dare I say, logical for him to make an appearance. :D But it’s such a treat when ANY Trek member shows up on that show!

Baxter
September 26, 2011 7:13 am

That tweeted pick of Spiner with TBBT stars…he looks thin…almost thin enough to play Data again…!

SumpremeDaelkOnTheBridge
September 26, 2011 11:40 am

Mmmm. Kaley Cuoco….

Plum
September 26, 2011 12:42 pm

BAZINGA!

T2
September 26, 2011 1:30 pm

Awesome. The numerous Trek references are just icing on the cake. Great show.

Incidentally, on the new Family Guy on Sunday, there was a great Trek reference to Wrath of Khan, with real footage. Hopefully a link gets covered here on the site soon.

Good week for Trek TV, albeit without an actual series involved…

Ciaran
September 26, 2011 1:30 pm

#15, I second your “mmmmmmmmmmmmmm” for Kaley Cuoco. LOL. I absolutely love TBBT. It’s one of my favourite shows and I’m so glad they’re getting more Trek actors on the it. I’d love to see all of them on it some day. To my recollection, we’ve seen Wil Wheaton, George Takei and LeVar Burton. I’d love to see both The Shat and Sir Pat on the show TOGETHER! LOL.

ProtoVulan
September 26, 2011 3:40 pm

Crazy. I was at the taping of ‘The Wheaton Recurrance’ and saw David Gerrold escorted in.

I think they should absolutely do a show with Marc Okrand correcting Sheldon on his Klingon. And if they can’t get Leonard, then Zachary Quinto and Shatner.

ProtoVulcan
September 26, 2011 3:45 pm

Sorry – ‘Rercurrence’

DS9 IN PRIME TIME
September 26, 2011 4:17 pm

I will actually try to watch the eppisode with spiner.

September 26, 2011 6:36 pm

Updated article with a first look photo from the episode and a few more details.

Sebastian S.
September 26, 2011 10:17 pm

Wil Wheaton, Brent Spiner and David Gerrold… I’ve met and gotten autographs from all three. Does that make me officially more geeky than Sheldon and the BBT characters?
Ouch… oh well. ;-)

Neumann
September 26, 2011 10:28 pm

See, I think Spiner should have been cast as Sheldon’s father… I know he’s passed on, but it feels like only Data could have had Sheldon as a son… and the way he’s described by the other characters, it would have been a very different character that Brent usually plays, so you there would have been two levels of interesting there.

Newman
September 26, 2011 11:06 pm

I love that show

Kevin A Melbourne Australia
September 26, 2011 11:20 pm

I’d love Michael Dorn to appear at some stage. He could growl like a Worf a bit to get them jumping.

Or if they wrote a death into the story, stand back, look up and howl into the air with Sheldon. Be very cool!

Kevin A Melbourne Australia
September 26, 2011 11:22 pm

Sorry that growl LIKE WORF not a Worf…bad typing.

September 27, 2011 6:38 am

Awesomeness!

Starfleet's Finest
September 27, 2011 6:40 am
@19 ProtoVulan You know, I was just thinking about that myself, how funny it would be to have Mr. Quinto on the show. Here’s how I would see that scenario: Sheldon hear that ‘Spock’ would be at a nearby convention, or what have you, he shows up to see his idol and it turns out to be Quinto instead of Nimoy; Sheldon throws a fit screaming something about “LIES!” and flees the premises. As soon as he leaves the building, Nimoy walks out and asks Quinto, ‘what’s with the racket?’, or something a long those lines. A very simple scene… Read more »
Lt. Dakin
September 27, 2011 11:00 am

@29 Starfleet’s finest–

Substitute “Cheesecake Factory” for “nearby convention” and I think you’ve nailed it!!

After Sheldon sees Quinto from a distance and realizes it isn’t Nimoy, he can cause a scene with Penny– as Sheldon storms out, the guy with Quinto turns around to see what the racket is and he is revealed to be . . .

ProtoVulcan
September 27, 2011 11:21 am

@29 & 30 – and as Sheldon storms out, if they can’t get Nimoy, SHATNER is revealed to be at Quinto’s table and says ‘I AM Captain Kirk and I think he’s a pretty good Spock’ and Sheldon can flip out.
Thanks, Starfleet’s Finest and Lt. Dakin..

Starfleet's Finest
September 27, 2011 1:35 pm

@30 Lt. Dakin

Ahhhh!! That would be perfect!! Cut it, print it, I love it!!!

I love when creative minds meet! :D

Charla
September 27, 2011 4:40 pm

#22 Thanks for the update, Rosario!

#29 Great idea Starfleet’s finest- that would so fun!

Dee - lvs moon' surface
September 27, 2011 6:38 pm

WOW… it looks great!…

Nimoy there… a dream… I hope it happens someday!…:-) :-)

Lt. Dakin
September 27, 2011 8:25 pm

Likely Gerrold to the left of Spiner in the official photo.

Let Them Eat Plomeek Soup
September 27, 2011 10:23 pm

@29:

I know this may be an odd reaction showing how much I like your idea, but I wanted to hug my monitor after reading it.

Awesome idea!

Fez
September 28, 2011 6:45 am

@35 that is indeed David Gerrold behind Brent

Lt. Dakin
September 29, 2011 5:04 am

Ironic that Wil Wheaton was sitting next to Brent Spiner on Labor Day weekend at Dragon*Con and said he had no idea when he would be back on Big Bang Theory because they call him on fairly short notice, and barely 2 weeks later– there they are!!

September 29, 2011 8:24 am

I wonder if Gerrold will have a tribble in tow.

@29 @35 – That scene would fit perfectly into the show, especially after we’ve seen Sheldon’s fit after being unable to get into the RAIDERS screening.

And since Nimoy has done the Bruno Mars video, it’s even more appropriate to say “There are always possibilities”…

Has there ever been a “Stargate” or “Farscape” reference on the show?

September 29, 2011 11:55 am

@39: To my knowledge, there’s never been a reference to either shows. However, there was a Babylon 5 reference.

Starfleet's Finest
September 29, 2011 1:44 pm

@36 Let Them Eat Plomeek Soup

I loved your ‘odd’ reaction!! Your comment made my day! :D Glad you liked it!

martinaredhawk
March 14, 2012 5:17 pm

CBS: PLEASE have more episodes with Brent Spiner on The Big Bang Theory! He an incredibly funny, talented guy and we miss seeing him on TV. LOL Brent!

martinaredhawk
March 14, 2012 6:14 pm

CBS: PLEASE have more episodes with Brent Spiner on The Big Bang Theory! He is an incredibly funny, talented guy and we miss seeing him on TV. LOL Brent!

TrekMovie.com is represented by Gorilla Nation. Please contact Gorilla Nation for ad rates, packages and general advertising information.