A few weeks ago TrekMovie reported on the release of the official synopsis for Star Trek Into Darkness. As part of their recent promotional push for the film, Paramount has issued a new "one sheet" summary of the film with more info, and notably a new (and different) synopsis for the film. See what is new and different below but warning there are spoilers.
New Official Synopsis for Star Trek Into Darkness – With some key differences
Paramount has released a new "one sheet" summary of Star Trek Into Darkness for the press. Unlike the previously released synopsis, this sheet includes cast and creative team credits, release date info which is typical for all of their ‘one sheet’ press summaries. What is of interest is how the new ‘one sheet’ also includes new synopsis for the film, which is different than the synopsis released a few weeks ago. While it is not unusual for film synopses to change over time and with different marketing materials, at TrekMovie nothing is too small for us to analyze.
Here is the new synopsis from Paramount…
In Summer 2013, director J.J. Abrams will deliver an explosive action thriller that takes Star Trek Into Darkness.
In the wake of a shocking act of terror from within their own organization, the crew of The Enterprise is called back home to Earth. In defiance of regulations and with a personal score to settle, Captain Kirk leads his crew on a manhunt to capture an unstoppable force of destruction and bring those responsible to justice.
As our heroes are propelled into an epic chess game of life and death, love will be challenged, friendships will be torn apart, and sacrifices must be made for the only family Kirk has left: his crew.
The first and last paragraphs are actually exactly the same, however Paramount replaced two paragraphs from the original synopsis with a new single middle paragraph. While similar, there are some key differences between those previous two paragraphs and this new one:
- Added how Kirk is "In defiance to regulations…" (But hey, what else is new for Kirk? In any timeline/universe)
- Now specifies "called back home to Earth"
- Timeline of how the crew is called back was changed from "when crew of the Enterprise is called back, they find…" to "in the wake of a shocking act of terror from within…" which implies that the Enterprise is called back after (and possibly because) some kind of terrorist attack. Presumably the crew is called back following their mission on Niburu (featured in the first 9 minutes of the film which can currently be seen with special IMAX previews with The Hobbit)
- Removed description of how the act of terror "detonated the fleet and everything it stands for, leaving our world in a state of crisis" (possibly for brevity and/or clarity)
- Removed description (presumably of the villain John Harrison) as a "one man weapon of mass destruction" (again possibly for brevity and/or clarity)
- Changed "unstoppable force of terror" to "unstoppable force of destruction" (possibly to limit number of times "terror" is used)
- Removed reference to manhunt leading to a "war-zone world" (last week’s Bad Robot visit identified the Klingon home world Qo’noS as the location of the fight scenes with Harrison, Klingons and Kirk, so this could be the world mentioned in the original synopsis)
- Added "bring those responsible to justice" to Kirk’s mission. Note it says "those" implying John Harrison is not acting alone
Stay tuned to TrekMovie.com for all the news about Star Trek Into Darkness.