Rumor Control: Star Trek Sequel Not Currently Casting Via Craigslist…duh

The new year is almost upon us and with 2011 will come lots of stories about the Star Trek sequel, some real, some not real. But we have just one more rumor to debunk that came up during the holiday week that is kind of funny. It appears that there is an Craigslist calling for casting for the Star Trek sequel. Not that it is real or anything.

Casting the Star Trek movie via Craigslist

Here is the Craigslist posting:

Star Trek Sequel (Salt Lake City)

Release Date: June 29, 2012
Studio: Paramount Pictures
Director: J.J. Abrams
Screenwriter: Roberto Orci, Alex Kurtzman
Starring: John Cho, Simon Pegg, Chris Pine, Zachary Quinto, Zoe Saldana, Karl Urban, Anton Yelchin
Genre: Sci-Fi
MPAA Rating: Not Available
Official Website: | |

Plot Summary: No plot details as this time!

Contact Casting at 714-869-0063 (no emails please)

TrekMovie has confirmed that this is entirely bogus. Although the fact that it lists a non-working phone number is also a big clue. Other clues are that there is no indication of what roles (or types) are being cast, the movie is not yet even in pre-production and there no code name (this is a JJ Abrams production, remember).

That is not to say that casting advertisements are not possible, especially for background extras. However, a studio casting notice would also include a number of other indicators. Here is an example of the real extras casting notice for for the 2009 Star Trek movie (code-named "Corporate Headquarters") which was put up a few weeks before shooting began.

Corporate Headquarters
Feature Film: SAG
Info: For the way Cool Sci-Fi Feature Film titled “Corporate Headquarters” we are seeking the following SAG and Non-Union Background Talent:

Currently Seeking:
Thin, regal talent who have BROWN or BLACK hair AND are OK with their eyebrows being shaved from the arch outward to portray a “Vulcan type” eyebrow shape.

In General We Need:
Thin, Athletic, Men and Women, Ages 18-90 – Specific Descriptions of These Types Below:
Especially seeking talent with interesting and unique facial features, such as: long necks, small heads, extremely large heads, wide-set eyes, bug eyes, close-set eyes, large forehead, short upper lip, pronounced cheekbones, over- or undersized ears and/or nose, facial deformities, ultra plain-looking people, ultra perfect-looking people, pure wholesome looks, twins, triplets, emaciated talent, in addition to regally poised and postured talent.

That will be the last debunk of 2010, bring on 2011.

[via bigshinyrobot]

December 31, 2010 2:59 pm

Welcome back!

I'm Dead Jim!
December 31, 2010 3:00 pm

Welcome back Anthony! Happy NewYear!

December 31, 2010 3:02 pm

They lookin’ for any pot-bellied, middle-aged, couch potato Vulcans? Cause if they are, I’m there.

December 31, 2010 3:04 pm

Happy NEW YEAR!!!! Wow, Bogus?

OK, Any rumor, real or otherwise, is news!

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire
December 31, 2010 3:06 pm

Welcome back Anthony. We missed you. Crazy about the casting for Trek. But I would love to have tried to be in Trek. Happy New year to all.

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire
December 31, 2010 3:07 pm

Oh and Anthony. I think we all started a lot of rumers on the Science Friday Page. Believe me we all had some stories to tell.

ensign joe
December 31, 2010 3:08 pm

It’s alive!

Brett Campbell
December 31, 2010 3:09 pm

Your dreams were ticket out … Welcome back! Welcome back! Welcome back!

December 31, 2010 3:11 pm

I don’t like Rumor Control, it destroys my daydreams based on the rumors all too fast. ;)

December 31, 2010 3:14 pm

Rumor: Anthony has a cameo role in the Star Trek Sequel.

Bogus Or Not Bogus?

Captain Dunsel
December 31, 2010 3:24 pm

I heard a rumor that Anthony Pascale is back and is live once more!

(Real or Bogus?)

“We we’re becoming concerned!”

December 31, 2010 3:25 pm

I wish there was more real news on the sequel :( I’m getting very hungry for info

December 31, 2010 3:38 pm

Hey, I live in So. Cal. Tall, and a large head. Bald. You think I’d be a natural…

December 31, 2010 3:39 pm

A Craigslist casting call sounds like something you would expect for…a more mature audience, so to speak??

Phaser Guy
December 31, 2010 3:41 pm

Commodore Mike of the Terran Empire
December 31, 2010 3:50 pm

Anthony was secretly in talks with J.J to be in the next Trek Movie.
So how did it go Anthony.

December 31, 2010 3:54 pm

Awe look at all the well wishers! Have a great one Anthony.

Can’t wait for Star Trek movie news in the coming year!

Happy New year to all my fellow trekkies and trekkers.

Cosmo Kid
December 31, 2010 4:51 pm

Happy New Year’s everyone! I was wondering how long that previous talk back would continue(Dec 17th- or what not) A great read for sure.

Happy Future’s,

Cosmo Kid

December 31, 2010 6:46 pm

Man, I did not realize how much I missed these manufactured Trek news stories until this website went black for 2 weeks….I will never bitch about these kinds of stories again…well, let’s say at least not for a month or two anyways! :-)

December 31, 2010 6:52 pm

@ 16/Phaser Guy: “The script isn’t even done yet, so how could they be casting anyway? Internet morons.”

Why do I find this response so funny? LOL

moauvian waoul- aka: seymour hiney
December 31, 2010 7:05 pm

This answers the age-old questions: non-news IS better than no news. And no news is NOT good news v

December 31, 2010 7:11 pm

Yes We need a page dedicated to Anthony’s Return along with the Return of!!

What was going on… well It really could have been a movie in and of itself… :)

December 31, 2010 9:41 pm

Have those guys, Alex, Bob and Damon, turned in a script yet? Please – say they have and it’s a go… You three writers, MAKE IT SO!

I shall keep looking on IMDb homepages for the main actors to see whether Star Trek sequel changes from “Announced” to “Pre-Production”. I want to be able to leap up and down and tell everyone here that the untitled Star Trek sequel is actually happening and prove to everyone that I am indeed a totally nutty trekkie fangirl…

Welcome back, Anthony. I hope you had a “good one”, whatever it was.

It is 1/1/11, 5.39pm as I type this. What I am reading here is soo last year…:)

December 31, 2010 10:59 pm

Thank God is updated again, I was starting to get scared. I read this site daily like a newspaper.

December 31, 2010 11:00 pm

Casting calls will come about mid summer – and it won’t be from craigslist.

December 31, 2010 11:36 pm

So is the sequel script done?

January 1, 2011 1:51 am

Welcome back Anthony and crew…. you surely noticed you were missed.

Happy New Year!

January 1, 2011 4:03 am

We all missed you! Didn’t realize how addicted i was to this site until you left!

Happy New Year!

January 1, 2011 4:05 am

January 1, 2011 6:07 am

Welcome back Anthony. Happy New Year to all.
I am writing this in my sleep… that’s how addicted I am.
Alright, my alarm is about to go off…

January 1, 2011 6:59 am

Happy New Year Anthony (and everyone else) great to see you back!
January 1, 2011 7:27 am

Boborci. Happy new year. Have you turned in a script yet. The waiting is unbearable

January 1, 2011 9:26 am

@20 Agreed you realize what you have once its gone… or takes a 2 week vacation.

January 1, 2011 9:49 am
That’s funny about Craigslist. I have an experience to share about that if anyone wants to hear it, it was a nice little break in between 17 years of ER nursing! I was just checking for a job for my son in Lexington, KY on Craigslist. He, like most teens wanted to try acting. So, for fun I looked into the area titled, TV, Movies, etc. Not expecting to find anything, I was most certainly surprised to see an ad for an assistant for costumes. I emailed the person, and was even more surprised when I had a reply in less than 15 minutes! They had requested I call them that evening. When I did, they told me they were looking for someone to help the costume designer of a movie with a little bit of everything. I told them I was sure my son could handle it. The person on the other end said they were looking for an adult. (My son was 16 at the time) I was a little disappointed but not shocked to hear this requirement. Then came a big turn of events! I was in between nursing jobs at the time. (I am a travel nurse) The woman then asked me some more questions and then asked if I would be interested in helping the costume department in the movie of “Secretariat.” This is only the single most awesome horse EVER! I love horses, and just happen to collect everything Secretariat, only second to STAR… Read more »
January 1, 2011 10:08 am

Oh I was remiss in welcoming you back too, Anthony! Good to see you back, hope you had a nice break from things.

I echo what Bob said about this site- I didn’t realize I was addicted to it until you were gone and there were no updates, it was then I realized I have a problem.

Only with this problem, my family and friends would only make fun of me, and not try to help me, so I come here for my needs- of all things TREK!

Seriously though, thanks for the site, and for your work. I must say also it is also good to see Bob and Chris are still with us as well. :D

All is good now~ 2011 is off to a great start! (though I think someone needs an Enterprise to put in the Roses parade for the New Year- I mean why not?)

LLAP & I hope everyone here has a healthy, prosperous New Year

January 1, 2011 12:12 pm

#26 wrote: “Casting calls will come about mid summer – and it won’t be from craigslist.”

Please tell me that this is just a bad rumour or joke on the part of the poster. Surely the casting calls should be starting within the next week or so?

Bob Orci (Happy New Year, btw) – dear, dear Bob, give us folks a nice bone (gosh, I am going all gooey, sweet and syrupy) but you must surely know how it is…:) You know how I so long for “my captain”.

Buzz (i remember now) Cagney
January 1, 2011 12:16 pm

Ditto the posters that say they’ve missed Trekmovie!
I even started to forget to tune in as it had become so quiet lately!

Happy New Year to you all! Have a good un!

(i had to think what my screen name was as its been so long since I last posted!)

Buzz Cagney
January 1, 2011 12:22 pm

#35 I enjoyed your post. Thanks for sharing your experience.

January 1, 2011 12:43 pm

#35 I also enjoyed reading your post.

Perhaps, with your nursing experience, you might be able to get a position on the up and coming Star Trek sequel set. Just a thought, a wish, a hope, a dream…who knows.

Of course, you would then be bound by some confidentiality clause in your employment contract which would mean you would not be able to share with us all the interesting and juicy gossip…(oh well, we can’t have everything I s’pose). But it could be kind of cool for you, Charla!

Red Dead Ryan
January 1, 2011 12:43 pm

Trek fans without new articles are like Jem’ Hadar soldiers without new supplies of Ketrecel White. :-)

January 1, 2011 1:08 pm

Welcome back!!!

January 1, 2011 1:35 pm

@ 30/ Bob Orci. Thanks Bob! Here’s wishing you and your family a HAPPY NEW YEAR !!!

January 1, 2011 4:34 pm

Welcome back you all!!

January 1, 2011 5:19 pm

Oh, and Happy New Year, Buzz! Hope everything is okay in the UK. :)

January 1, 2011 6:34 pm

I look forward to news that is a bit more in depth than saying the script is still being worked out.

As far as I am concerned it will be what it will be. It will be different from the Trek that I love and thats fine because no matter what I will always love Star Trek.

The most important thing is that the characters don’t act like the new BSG characters, cause I feel if they do then it definitely is no longer the Star Trek that Gene created. I think it is very important that this doesn’t happen.

As I have said before they changed a few things that I was not happy with but I still believe they made a good film that was strong on character but weak on plot. The film was good fun though.

Only if they abandon the ideals of what Star Trek is about will I refuse to watch anymore Trek under Abrams. And I believe that Abrams and Orci are not stupid enough to abandon that.

If the idea of what Star Trek is about is lost, the idea behind Roddenberry’s vision is overlooked then that is when it stops becoming Star Trek.

Happy new year to everyone

January 1, 2011 6:39 pm

I agree wholeheartedly, Captain Neill.

January 1, 2011 6:42 pm

boborci “Didn’t realize how addicted i was to this site until you left!”

Wait, you’re addicted to this site too? But we’re all here reading about YOU!

January 1, 2011 6:50 pm

i guess im shallow and narcissistic.

Red Dead Ryan
January 1, 2011 7:10 pm

Would you like us to build a hundred-foot statue with your likeness in your exalted honor, perhaps located on a beach in Hawaii?

Because we all bow to your greatness! :-)

P.S I hope you had a great Christmas and New Year. Hopefully, you got some Trek goodies as presents!