A Good Day To Die? Star Trek Boldly Going Into Funerals

Star Trek is headed to the final frontier…and I mean final. Eternal Image, a Michigan-based funerary products company, today announced a deal to make products for Star Trek-themed funerals. Trek now has you covered from the cradle to the grave.

This can be you!

Eternal Image specializes in licensed funeral products (including ones from The Vatican and Major League Baseball), but Trek is their first entertainment brand. President and CEO Clint Mytych tells TrekMovie.com "Star Trek appeals to so many people that there didn’t seem to be another entertainment venue that would do what Star Trek can do." Mytych also agreed that the aging fan base for the 41 year old franchise also factored into their decision to look to Trek. There are already Star Trek weddings, so perhaps Trek funerals is the next (dare I say it) logical step.

The first two products will be Trek themed casket and an urn. As you might of guessed, the casket will be a replica of the famous ‘photon torpedo’ casket first used for Spock’s funeral in Star Trek II. Each casket will be emblazoned with the registration number for the original Enterprise (NCC-1701) on the front. The urn is silvery shiny orb that appears to ‘hover between three fins’ and has the logo of the United Federation of Planets on the base. "It is quite striking and not doesn’t look like any other urn on the market," boasts Mytych. "If you saw these products in any of the films, they would totally fit in…they are instantly recognizable as Star Trek."

Being left on the Genesis Planet may cost extra

Prototypes for both the urn and the casket have been made and are currently being reviewed by CBS. Eternal Image plans to reveal the final versions at a trade show in October. Assuming things go well with the first products, then Eternal Image wants to expand the line as well (so a Klingon funeral could be in your future). The coffin and urn should be available via funeral homes across the country by December. And you don’t have to wait until you have gone down with the ship. Eternal Image expect the Trek line will sell like their Baseball themed line with many fans pre-ordering urns and caskets (which is called ‘pre-need purchasing’ in the funeral biz). Prices have not be finalized, but are expect to be close to the average prices for other Eternal Images products (urns around $600 and caskets around $3500).

Urns from MLB and Vatican licensed lines…Trek ‘orb’ urn to be unveiled next month

Now all you need is a flag, some Trekkies and a guy who plays bagpipes and your funeral can look something like this…

for more visit the Eternal Image website

VOTE: Eternal Trekkie?

So how much of a Trekkie are you? Do you want a trek themed funeral? (right column)

Sean4000
September 14, 2007 6:17 pm

Bury me in the sunglasses case just like Spock!!! Hell yeah!!!!!

Dr. Image
September 14, 2007 6:17 pm

Huh?? First! I get to say it??

JBS
September 14, 2007 6:18 pm

“Mytych also agreed that Trek’s aging fan base as a 41 year old franchise also factored into their decision to chose Trek for funerals.”

Now I feel really depressed, and old. But I’m not ready to kick the bucket yet, I have to wait until the new movie is released first!

September 14, 2007 6:19 pm

OK, that’s just… bizarre.

FSUGuy
September 14, 2007 6:27 pm

welp looks like Trek has finally made its grave

cd
September 14, 2007 6:29 pm

Get a death!

September 14, 2007 6:37 pm

[…] Seriously, guys.  Star Trek Themed Mortuary Products.  Caskets?  Urns?  How many actual “Products” could they produce?  Either way, my Mom is gonna freak! […]

ObiWanCon
September 14, 2007 6:38 pm

Sign me up for a Spock funeral because I’ll come back to life not long after so I’m all for it.

Dr. Image
September 14, 2007 6:40 pm

Funerals be damned!
Check out Exeter’s act three!!!
WUUUUUUUU! Man!
ps- Second!

steve623
September 14, 2007 6:42 pm

Wow, this is really scraping the bottom of the barrel.

Heywood Jablome
September 14, 2007 6:44 pm

Great marketing idea. It had to happen sooner or later! I’m surprised no-one’s opened up a line of Star Trek baby products. Probably soon, though…

Kirk, James T.
September 14, 2007 6:47 pm

^ or should that be Urn.

Hmm, well this is milking the gian cash cow that is Star Trek but there has to be someone out there who’ll get the Spock Coffin.

ZoomZoom
September 14, 2007 6:51 pm

How much extra is the fired onto Genesis to be regenerated option, and who can I trust with my Katra meanwhile?

toddk
September 14, 2007 7:08 pm

I don’t see anything wrong with it since CBS isnt trying to hide it. however I don’t think that mark V will sell more than a dozen a year. Good luck though!

Thomas Jensen
September 14, 2007 7:16 pm

Anthony,

That was great. Your article made me laugh and shake my head in “huh” at the same time. Well done.

I mean, it’s cool, if people want to have a trek send-off. But, star trek is fake, and what happens after death is real.

So, if I’m thinking I’m dying sometime soon, I’m more concerned with other stuff, then with trying make sure I have a ‘trek’ send-off in some way.

Sheesh…

CanuckLou
September 14, 2007 7:18 pm

A matter of personal preference of course, but for myself this goes over the line.

Plum
September 14, 2007 7:21 pm

ROTFL!!! The pictures with the funny comments made my day. Nice work!

IrishTrekkie
September 14, 2007 7:22 pm

hmm i wonder if i can make the people at my funeral , dress in the red uniforms and white engneering suits , hmm people say this is just for money and it is , but hey why not , there are fans that love the show that much they have turned thier homes into star trek sets , and other have made their car up to look like suttles , and so why not offer this to fans . i am fine with it , hell i would think about it myself lol

toddk
September 14, 2007 7:23 pm

just got back from watching starship exeter act 3. not bad, check it out!

Harry Ballz
September 14, 2007 7:58 pm

I have grave concerns regarding this trend!

William
September 14, 2007 7:58 pm

The final merchandising frontier has finally been reached.

Harry Ballz
September 14, 2007 8:05 pm

My gravestone will say, “I TOLD YOU I WAS SICK!!!”

max
September 14, 2007 8:18 pm

oh boy. Cute idea, but don’t do this to your family. Seriously, don’t.

September 14, 2007 8:29 pm

I like the idea :) Has anyone ever seen the “KISS” caskets? My family would understand….hell they would let me buy one now so I could have a torpedo casing in the collection!

Buckaroohawk
September 14, 2007 9:15 pm

You know, this idea is tacky, and possibly in poor taste, but at the same time something like this would be an icredible send-off for a Star Trek fan.

If you can have Trek-themed weddings, why not the same for a funeral?

It’d be the ultimate fanboy moment, no doubt about that. I’m betting this will be a major success for the company.

stallion (Archer is the best)
September 14, 2007 9:37 pm

I plan to live forever.

k.f.
September 14, 2007 9:38 pm

I know, but I have always thought about doing this!

Harry Ballz
September 14, 2007 9:47 pm

I’m chuckling at the mental image of a lot of non-Trek friends showing up for someone’s funeral and them having a difficult time keeping a straight face during the proceedings! This has the makings of a good dark comedy script depicting a Trekker’s funeral! Weekend at Bernies would pale in comparison!!!

fred
September 14, 2007 9:50 pm

this is so cool sick as well but hey you need something to sit in when you dead now if you cound be fired into space as well

September 14, 2007 9:53 pm

It would be much cheaper to simply engrave on your tombstone and/or regular casket:

“It…was fun. Oh my!”

Harry Ballz
September 14, 2007 10:00 pm

More like, “My bad, make fun!”

UpTick88
September 14, 2007 10:25 pm

Beam me up

RandyYeoman
September 14, 2007 10:51 pm

i want my ashes sent into space….maybe this company can work with the company that shot doohan into space and make mini photon torpedo urns for that.

ZoomZoom
September 14, 2007 11:22 pm

#28 funnily enough such a sit com has been done here in the UK. An episode of popular 2.4 Children had a death of a Trek fan who had everybody come to his funeral in Trek costume. Funniest being a rather large lady as a Tribble!
Coffin went into to be cremated to the Trek intro music and the mourners LA LA LAA’ing along!

Headless Redshirt
September 14, 2007 11:43 pm

So they’ve done:

– Baseball
– Official Vatican Library design
– The American Kennel Club (for your pet, silly)

And now Star Trek. What else could they possibly do?

Obviously, Star Wars. Costs extra so you can you record, “I will become more powerful than you can imagine” before you die, just so it can be played at your funeral. Mourners get to come as either Jedis or Stormtroopers, depending on which side of the room they want to stand on.

What I don’t understand is how they did baseball without football. What hardcore football fan wouldn’t want a pigskin urn? “Just don’t throw my ashes around after I’m gone!”

Then of course, if you’re a pothead, they could make you an urn that looks like a bong, but that just invites too many problems…

Allister Gourlay
September 15, 2007 12:26 am

I already told my wife i want cremated- and as the coffin leaves it will be playing the original tv theme with the shatner narrating ” to boldly go”.

Oceanhopper
September 15, 2007 2:07 am

Technically dying is not going where no man has gone before. In fact you are going against your will to where everyone before you has gone and everyone after you will go. In this way it is a bit like going to the toilet I suppose.

Still, I like the idea of an urn that looks cool and as long as they make the torpedo casket out of biodegradable cardboard, I’d be cool with that.

roberto orci
September 15, 2007 2:08 am

why not?

Mark Lynch
September 15, 2007 3:09 am

Oh good grief……

non-fanatic
September 15, 2007 3:10 am

Gullible to the last.

Duane Boda
September 15, 2007 3:25 am

Just one more example of pure garbage posted that is beyond tacky.
Come on Anthony…can’t you put up something thats actually good
and has some relation to either the new film or the updated shows?
Its depressing – lame – stupid and silly all at the time. I expect better
But…if you’re looking for the Britney Spears award for a website…you
won lock stock and barrel. Oops…..YOU did it again. Not a good thing.

Al
September 15, 2007 3:33 am

The conveyor belt at the crematorium will look very like the photon torpedo bay in STWOK

Mike M--Tucson
September 15, 2007 3:55 am

It’s things like this that make me sick how the promising franchise has been pimped and exploited for the cash pockets of Paramount and CBS. I only wish Lucy Ball has kept control of Desilu and the ST franchise as a wise and competent business person. Perhaps then, more everyday people would have come to enjoy the franchise as Roddenberry had dreamed.

Cervantes
September 15, 2007 4:09 am

Hmmm…some companies, eh? Entropy sucks…

Off Topic a second:
Not sure if many are aware of this…but there is currently a strong threat of a MAJOR strike involving the Writers Guild, the Directors Guild, and the Screen Actors Guild come next Spring… This would affect many big Movies I’m personally looking forward to, and could mean either long delays in some cases, or worse…Movies that are rushed in some ways to beat the deadline, just in case…including ‘Star Trek’… For full details and a list of those which would be affected, read on…
and http://www.filmjerk.com/news/article.php?id_new=521

Jon
September 15, 2007 4:43 am

“Chico and the Man” fan club did this YEARS ago.

Jim, my name...is Jim
September 15, 2007 6:29 am

Speaking of death, how about cheating yourself out of death? I’m referring to “Exeter”. It’s alive. I went to their site last night, and the next part of it is FINALLY up! Yipee! It’s alive!!!!

JB
September 15, 2007 6:38 am

A Klingon theme?

They wouldn’t have anything to sell. Didn’t they something like, “It is now just an empty shell. Dispose of it as you see fit.” when talking about the klingon’s body?

Harry Ballz
September 15, 2007 7:53 am

What’s next? Star Trek toilet paper? This way, if you’re not a big fan, you could really express your feelings about the Shat every time you take….no, I better not complete that sentence…..whoo, that was close!

Len Krieger
September 15, 2007 8:06 am

Tacky! Tacky! Tacky! A Star Trek Urn? As #41 wrote, Gullible to the last.